Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lesson Learned:)

I do have readers:) I just need to post more interesting stuff on here!

Okay: I have two juicy topics today. One is a jaw-dropping 'HUH?' and the other is rather controversial, depending on your morals/values.

Judy Mays
Did you hear about this poor woman?

"A Small time Snyder County Women in Central PA was ridiculed on WNEB TV for writing Romance Novels in her spare time.... It seems that some of the parents were disturbed by Mrs. Buranich's writing skills outside of the school and they thought it was a good idea to go to the television station with this news!!! SAD part is WNEB actually broaddcasted this SAD SAD story!!!! Mrs. Buranich has NOT broken any Laws and is not writing her books in school or bringing her books in school for her students to read, yet some how she is being ridiculed for being such a GREAT writter!!!"

I'll admit, I risk ridicule every time I do a signing, because Kenzie tags along and promotes her books too. I make sure the covers are PG (in fact, her latest cover is so hot, I'm going to have to use the 'other' cover that was presented!) so Moms aren't shooting me evil looks as they drag their children away from my table. I also keep the excerpts behind the table, so no underage eyes are looking at them, even though I let my (then) 14-yr old read the first one, and she admitted she'd read worse at school! But my point? What I write has nothing to do with the way I live my life!

People don't seem to be able to separate the person from the profession. And most of the time, authors are pretty private people, unless we're promoting our work:)

Planned Parenthood
Learned my state legislatures have voted to shut off the funding for Planned Parenthood. Why? Their main concern is the abortion issue. They aren't looking at the WHOLE PICTURE, in which PP provides a great service to low income families! They provide birth control, exams, information on women's heath...how many teens are willing to admit to their parents they are having sex and want birth control? Or how many women these days can't afford to go see their doctor? This makes NO sense to me. I posted this on my FB page and by the time I got back from breakfast, the comment thread had lit up.

Sorry I've been lax about the content of this blog lately; the hubby and I have finally reached a compromise in the computer vs housework debate. I'll keep you posted if it works or not:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you win! :)

Both issues are SAD. Judy has been a teacher doing a great job for 25 yrs. What she does in her private life is no ones business, so long as it doesn't affect her job.

The Planned Parenthood is just as bad. These teens need a place to go, along with low income people.

Marie Rose Dufour said...

I have been following what is going on with Judy and it is horrible. I am a teacher and write erotica. It doesn't make me a horrible person or a sexual predator. I keep it private with my pen name. I'm not published yet but hope to be someday and don't want anyone censoring what I can or cannot write because during the day, I help children learn how to read.

I agree with both you and Amber about Planned Parenthood. The procedure part is a very small percentage of what they do!

Sandra Cox said...

My understanding is, she's now getting national coverage. So it may be one of those things that turns out to be a huge blessing in disguise. Her sales will probably go through the roof.