Friday, May 11, 2012

Flashback Friday: Heartache and Broken Plans

May 1982:
With my sophomore year drawing to a close, and confident in the plans my friends and I had made for the upcoming Band Camp, I was doing well in school and looking forward to summer vacation.  I was stunned one morning when my boyfriend K appeared at my mom's office before school and asked to speak to me.

He and I went to a private corner near the band room, and he broke up with me.  Shocked, I stumbled my way to my locker and met B on the way down the stairs.  He asked what was wrong, and before I could check myself, I blurted out the truth, then felt my eyes fill with tears.  I rushed into the library and darted behind the counter, looking for the kleenex.  B had followed me inside, and told me everything would be okay.  And of course, by lunchtime, I was fielding questions about he and I again.  I was thankful when school was out; I could concentrate on learning the choreography as well as my field placement for the upcoming parade and marching band contests.  And was mourning the broken plans K and I had made for our free time at band camp.  Would I ever know the joy of a 'summer love'?

Forgot to mention:  A senior whom I'd harbored a slight crush on showed me his Prom tickets.  Instantly my brain asked, 'Could it be he's asking me??'  Nope.  Out loud  I asked who he was taking to the Big Event, and he named someone I didn't know.  But for just that moment, I enjoyed a split-second fantasy:)

Next Month:  Band Camp and An Eye-Opener.

Present Day:
I've been a bad blogger the past two weeks; I've been hurrying to finish the edits on Balancing Act, and finally sent them back this past Tuesday:)  My College Kid is home; my mother received her Wall of Fame for Outstanding Faculty at my high school; I've caught up on the laundry and restocked my pantry.  Right now, I'm self-editing book #5, Endless Love, which tells Caitlyn's story.  And I'm somewhat amused:  I spent Wednesday night cutting the first two chapters, and 'Caty's' not rebelled, yelled, or even refused to cooperate!  Maybe she sees the wisdom of this drastic change?  Or maybe she's still (looks around) reading Keri's book and hasn't noticed yet?  LOL!

Currently Reading:
Finished Brynn's The Daly Way trilogy, and I have to say, I enjoyed Belonging To Them, but my favorite is Plays Well With Others.  And Fill 'Er Up was good also.  Maybe I'm just burning out on erotic romance?  I decided to pass on Cindy S. Pape's books for the moment and read Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Glitter Baby.  Really enjoying it!  Had to look up a picture of Errol Flynn, so I could 'see' him.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been reading contemporary romance and non-fiction. I was too burned out from reading and writing erotica.

Happy Mother's Day!

Molly Daniels said...

LOL....every once in a while we have to switch up our reading material:)

Happy Mother's Day to you too, m'dear!

Linda Kage said...

Hey, I've read Plays Well With Others, but that's the only one by Brynn. What a coincidence.

My 14-yr old nephew got broken up with this month by his first girlfriend...via text message...13 days before school let out. Why couldn't she wait until the end of school so he'd have the entire summer to mend? He was crushed. Her messages were really confusing to. She said she'd always love him, bla, bla, bla...and still wanted to be his friend. I feel bad for him. He's a great young man.

Molly Daniels said...

Breaking up via text is cowardly and just WRONG! I guess it's the equivalent of our 'Dear John' letters....