Friday, April 12, 2013

Flashback Friday: My 1st Grade Class

April 1983:
I spent two hours a day, three times a week, at an elementary school across the street from my HS, as part of my Child Development Class.  By now, the kids had warmed up to me, especially during recess.

When the weather grew warmer, I took to playing half-court basketball with the boys during their afternoon recess.  I was soon in hot demand as a player, because of the height advantage.  The girls also appreciated the fact I was willing to push them on the swings, but as soon as we arrived back in the classroom, 'Friend Molly' returned to 'Teacher's Aid Molly', who wasn't nearly as fun.  I made them behave; confiscated notes; and shushed them during tests.  And discovered something:  The 'cool kids' wanted me on their side, but I was soon championing the 'not-so-cool' ones.  I tried not to play favorites, and praised everyone equally, but  soon the ones at the lower end of the social pecking order came to me with their shy accomplishments, their fears, their confidences.  And I pray, to this day, that I made some sort of difference in their lives.

*****
Currently Reading:  Loved, loved, LOVED Mona Risk's Valentine Babies!!!  Definite Recommended Read!!!  Also enjoyed Christina Cole's Happily Ever After, another Recommended Read.  And so is Divorce By Chocolate AKA Goddess Goodies (Both titles are same book; on Amazon, it's DBC; on GR, it's GG.  So take your pick!) by Meg Bellamy, who's rapidly becoming an 'auto-buy' for me.  Definite Recommended Read!  

Began reading Liz Crowe's Turkish Delights series, which she so graciously bundled for either free or a super low price (can't remember, lol!).  LOVED The Diplomat's Daughter and the cultural differences between the US and Turkey.  I'd already read and loved Turkish Delights;  enjoyed Blue Cruise, though I skipped the sex scenes; I just wasn't in the mood for M/M love at the moment.  And am now on Tulip Princess.  The entire series is a Recommended Read.

Print-wise:  Jan Karon's A Light In The Window reminded me of Philip Gulley's Harmony series.  But I had no problems putting this one aside; the characters weren't as quirky.  Maybe I need to read the 1st book in this series?  I think I also want to read the next one.

Where have I been this entire week?  Kenzie's getting all the love.  Go catch up with her here.  See you next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello.
I know this is kinda off topic however I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
My blog discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and
I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be
interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the
way!

Also visit my web page - Golf Swing Analyzer

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I'm at work surfing around your blog from my iphone 4S! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!

More to follow on my web site Army Tanks Games