Friday, August 16, 2013

Flashback Friday: Florida and Making A Decision

Aug 1993:
Mom took 18-m/o K and I to Florida, to spend a week with my grandmother.  K enjoyed the pool and the beach, calling every seagull/pelican/egret 'Duck!' and every overweight older gentleman 'Daddy!'  He also enjoyed snuggling on his Great-Grandma's lap in the evenings and getting his back scratched.  I kept him slathered in Water Babies, spf 30, and by the end of the trip you could just see a hint of a tan line where his diaper had been.  Swimmies hadn't been invented; he had a blue Mickey Mouse swimsuit and a green one with fish on it.  That way if he soiled one, we had a back up:)  I ended up with a gorgeous tan, and was thrilled by the blonde sun streaks in my hair.

I'd also gotten my hair cut short by this time; K was confused by the sight of no more hair hanging to my shoulders.  I'd also used one of my Olan Mills photo sessions for me, and thought I looked pretty good in my dark orange shorts, white tank top, and yellow camp shirt.  Whenever I wore that outfit, I was complimented, and it helped me feel attractive.

Upon return, I was restless.  Baby T was with his parents in Arkansas, and B was now in full time kindergarten.  With the loss of my income, I felt maybe it was time to return to the work force.  But doing what?  Returning to the country club was out of the question; it was an hour away.  Anything in my field required a Master's degree, and I didn't want to go back to working with the disabled.  So I tried hitting up the restaurants.  And was hired.

I began taking K to B's mom every morning, but the transition was rough.  And by day #4, I couldn't take it anymore.  I talked to D, who supported my decision, and I resigned.  Football season was approaching, and I wanted to take my little guy outside and toss a ball, roll in the leaves, and continue to be his Mommy.

Toward the end of the month, my mom called with the news MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) was starting up at our church, and would I be interested in coming up twice a month for the group, and joining her for lunch?  I said sure, and called to register myself and K.

Next Month:  Another Life Decision.

*****
Present Day:
Colorado pics will resume Monday:)  Have a good weekend!

No comments: