Friday, September 6, 2013

Flashback Friday: 2nd Grade!

Currently Reading:  Loved, love, loved Roping Love!!!!  I only had one issue with it, and that's the fact the Indiana State Fair has always been in late August, never over the 4th of July.  But an excellent read, and one I couldn't put down!  Definite Recommended Read:)  Now on to Memories of Love, the 3rd installment of Jean Joachim's Movie Lovers series:)


Sept 1973:
I had been in the 2nd grade for about two or three weeks by now, and was hating the busywork assigned first thing.  We were to pull out a sheet of paper and write the daily schedule on it.  I don't remember if we were actually graded on it, but I didn't see the point in writing it down every day.  Some days I copied it down; others I only did it part way.

I had two teachers; Mrs. Kenney and Mrs. Harrell.  Mrs. H became my favorite of the two.  My 'boyfriend' K was still with his family in Germany, and my next door neighbor T was in a different classroom.  My girlfriends this year would include K, M, and G.  I was also still friendly with K from my neighborhood, though she was now in 1st grade.

Mom took us to the State Fair in August, and we had a wonderful time riding the rides (she let us each pick 3) and going through the livestock barns.

A few of my favorite songs by now:  Top of the World (Carpenters); Dark Lady (Cher); Bad Bad Leroy Brown (Jim Croce); Heartbeat It's A Love Beat and Abracadabra (DeFranco Family).  I had been awarded my own record player, but had a bad habit of leaving the records on the floor.  My dad stepped on Abracadabra and broke it; I bought another copy and Dad promptly stepped on that one also.  Parents refused to buy me a 3rd copy.

While shopping with my grandmother, I found an LP with 'Heartbeat' on it and convinced her to buy it for me.  Later I would listen to the rest of the album and fall in love with Bachman Turner Overdrive, Gladys Knight and the Pips, and both Donny and Marie Osmond (Puppy Love and Paper Roses)  I couldn't stand Tom T Hall's 'I Love'.  And I pilfered Dad's Peter, Paul, and Mary LP with Going To the Zoo and Puff The Magic Dragon.  There's also a cute song 'I'm Being Swallowed By A Boa Constrictor.  I loved to act it out!

Mom also introduced us to the 8-track player, and my faves were one of her Elvis tapes; John Denver, and Neil Diamond.  Especially 'I Am The Lion' on track #3.  We learned that if we forwarded the track to #2, we'd only have to listen to one song before it advanced to #3 again:)

One of my favorite TV shows was Match Game '73.  I loved Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson:)

Book-wise, my mother gave me her books.  I began devouring four biographies:  Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mary Mapes Dodge, Sacajawea, and Julia Ward Howe.  I also read my first Cherry Ames book, Student Nurse.

*******
Present Day:
Went to the doctor yesterday, and my thyroid is behaving.  But now I need to reschedule my sleep study; it's possible I've inherited the family sleep apnea after all.  We also talked about weight loss, and I'm thrilled I'm already down another two pounds.

Was also on Blog Talk Radio last night, talking about everything from The Book Which Shall Not Be Named to how I get my plot ideas and if I could sleep with one of my characters, which one(s) would I choose?  The podcast archive isn't available yet, but I'll post it when it is.  In the meantime, 'haunt' the MFRW page over there:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/marketingforromancewriters

Tomorrow, I'm going to my friend Travis' book release party, then on to Karaoke.  Hoping to sing
-Battlefield (Jordin Sparks)
-Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
-Dream On (Aerosmith-I want to hear how I sound, not as a duo)
-Drift Away (Dobie Gray)
-Dust In The Wind (Kansas)

If I'm able to sing all of these, I'll get to start on the 'E' titles next week!  Come back on Monday for the recap:)

BB #15
OMG!  Watching that POV competition was brutal!  It  all came down to watching McCranda go head to head with McCrae winning by nanoseconds!  Got up this morning and watched the elimination episode; sadly, Amanda did get sent to the Jury House.  And WTG McCrea for winning HOH and getting Elissa out of there!!!!  But sadly, I fear McCrae will be the next one ousted, unless he does some major dealing this week.

No comments: