Friday, October 13, 2017

Flashback Friday: "Wait, You're Going To Do WHAT?"

Oct 1987:
Brief Recap:  I'd begun seeing CS, whom I'd met the previous winter, and began driving down to see him every weekend.

Several things began to happen the month of October.
-CS 'picked' me over the other girl, and I was thrilled, but after a while driving down every weekend began to take its toll.  C attended night classes, and wanted to stay up all night, watching movies.  I was on 'day shift', and wanted to fall into bed around midnight-1am.  After a month of flipping my schedule upside down, it became a regular joke that I would turn into a 'bitch after midnight'.  In hindsight, I should have put my foot down and stopped seeing him.  But no.....

-I met my future hubby.  C and I walked into a local diner for a late night breakfast, and there was this guy who radiated warmth, so I snuggled up to him.  I'd taken my camera with me, and several goofy pics were snapped that night, and I'm VERY thankful social media didn't exist back then!!

-I went home for Fall Break and thoroughly confused my parents by meeting the guy I'd briefly dated in June for lunch, then by going out to the bar with the guys from Wabash Nat'l.  Mom soooo didn't understand why I could be dating one guy, have lunch with another, and go drinking with my ex-co-workers in the evening!  We were going to attend a wedding on Saturday, and I don't remember where my mom and sister had gone, but my dad and I had a 'bonding' moment.

-BL (guy I'd dated in Aug) and I had decided to get together for drinks, and we ended up in a motel. B set his alarm, but it either didn't go off, or we didn't hear it.  Since I 'knew' my dad slept in on Saturdays, I took my time going home, even stopping at Burger King for breakfast.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and found my dad in the living room!

"Do you often stay out all night when you go out?"

"No; B and I were talking; we've been at Denny's all night." (yes, I lied!)

"I'll make a deal with you.  I went out with co-workers, thinking it was going to be dinner, but it only turned out to be drinks.  If you don't tell your mother I got drunk last night, I won't tell her you didn't get home until 7am."

"Deal.  Wake me up at 11, so I can shower before we head to Mike and Dianne's wedding?"

It would be at least 20-25 years before Mom learned that story!

When I returned to BSU, CS was on his Fall Break, so I stopped by his house and kidnapped him, then sneaked him into my dorm room after hours.  We only got caught once, and that's because we played Trivial Pursuit with friends, and lost track of time.  We were only 5 mins past curfew, but spent the night downstairs in the lobby, watching movies until I could safely sneak him back upstairs.

Next Month:  Bar Fight!

*************
Present Day:
Recuperating from last weekend, plus kids on Fall Break, plus sick kids, has caused me to do absolutely NOTHING  this week, other than watch TV, shuttle kids to doctor appointments, and forget all about getting the trash and recycling out.  In fact, Kenzie nearly forgot to even blog this week for the blog hop!

I *should* be back to *normal* next week.

College Kid attained his Orange belt in Tai Kwon Do, and has a tournament tomorrow.  Unfortunately, it's at the same time as when our Reverse Osmosis water purifier is being installed.  Hopefully, we'll be able to go see part of his tournament?

No comments: