Friday, June 22, 2018

Flashback Friday: Coach vs Coach

June 1998:
During practices, our assistant coach ran the practices.  Our boys hit the ball, and continued to do well in their positions, though we did have issues with some picking dandelions in the outfield, sifting sand through their mitts, and even skipping around the bases instead of running.  But during the games, our regular coach had a hard time getting the boys to hit the balls, since he didn't know how to pitch to them!

One day, our assistant coach had finally had enough.  The game started, even though our HC hadn't shown up yet, so the AC went out and began to pitch to the boys.  The HC arrived and insisted the AC give up the ball.  He refused, and chaos ensued.  Parents began getting involved; tempers boiled over; moms began yanking their kids off the field.  One of the League officers was summoned, and our AC agreed to give up the ball so play could continue.  There were still grumbling going on, and some players refused to play.

I had the whole thing on tape.  When the HC asked to see the footage, I lied, saying the camera had malfunctioned.  I didn't want him to hear my own biased comments against him.

One good thing did come out of that; the HC began making an effort to show up at games!

One day while working on batting, my hubby told one of the boys if he hit a home run, he'd buy him one of the giant candy bars.  Next crack of the bat sent that ball over the fence.  Yup, he earned that candy bar, and it became a contest to see who would get the next one!

Next Month:  Taxi Mom

******************
Present Day:
I'm getting ready to set up the yard sale again tomorrow, AND set up at our town's 1st PRIDE celebration.  I'm slightly anxious about it, but I was invited, and I did write a bi-curious book.  So we'll see if I get any flack from it.

Sunday, I'm off to Corning Irish Fest, and next week, I'll be in Lafayette.  Mom fell three weeks ago, and wants me to come up.  Mike and Becky are home from vacation, so I no longer have to man the gallery three days a week.

Today for lunch, we have reservations at the Old Chicago Pizza and Brewery!  My friend Ben now works there, and the menu looks delicious!  Just hoping it's not pricey.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: