Monday, June 17, 2019

Life In Lumber, Week #12

Day 67:  New Schedule!
Today was the 1st day of my set schedule, and I was thrilled:)  We dealt with rain in the first 3 hours, then Marci relieved me for lunch, and when I came back (bringing both register tape and a dust pan), I discovered all hell had broken loose.

-Customer A didn't have enough on their card and were trying to fix it; HC Aggie and M had invoiced their order for when payment could be made.

-Customer B insisted their stack of drywall strips were supposed to be 52.49, even though they kept ringing up 62.98.  Decided to buy only one stack, but then brought me a photo of the item # and I discovered they didn't match.  Rang up the bin item #......and they ran back to get another stack!

-Customer A tried again to pay; declined.  Saved it again.

-Customer C had a large order, and after ringing everything up, discovered an issue with the wood stain.  Had to review everything and unpack bag to make sure I'd rung everything up!

-Customer A tried again, and this time it went through!

-Customer D paid for two items and said the stack of wood by Reg #2 was theirs.  After pushing everything out the door, I noticed an hour later the wood was still there.  Mgr Brandon asked me if it was a return; I told him I thought it was a customer's!

-Aggie came down with my soda and tried to take my trash, but I wasn't finished pulling it!

-I went to wipe down the counters and discovered a dry bleach water bottle.  OOPS!

-Tasha came down to close out my drawer and informed me that some people weren't happy about my set schedule, but she didn't care.  Frankly, neither do I!

-Corporate's coming in tomorrow, so we all need to be on our best behavior!

Reeeaaaallly hope tomorrow goes well!  I found a lesson I need to complete, so need to go in early tomorrow.  Also need a lunchable.

Day 68:  Corporate In The House!
If the Head Honchos were there, I didn't see 'em....unless they were the blue-shirted folks in the training room when I clocked in!

Customer flow was blissfully quiet.  There were a few steady times, but I was able to get ALL my closing duties, save for locking the doors and filling the bags, by 7pm.  Had a torrential downpour after I came back from lunch, which cooled things off considerably!

I saw Ben with the dust mop and asked him where he'd found it.  He said he'd let me use it when he was done.....and by the time I got around to using it, discovered he hadn't cleaned up the dirt he'd swept!  Thanks B....leave it for Mom to clean up....

Also saw Steve in the break room and asked if we ever participated in 'Take Your Kid To Work Day'.  He said no, to which I replied my Teen would make a good cart runner!

Taylor is our 1st Cashier of the Month:)

After break, I went to get more bags, and Mel came into the room, saying she'd just sent some down, then handed me four more White Monster drinks.

Heard something about evaluations in July.....

Here's hoping my long day, tomorrow, goes just as smoothly!

Day 69:  Long Day!
My day actually began on a positive note.  D brought me a Hardee's breakfast, plus let me catch up on my nostalgia TV.  It began to rain when he dropped me off, so had him drop me at Lumber, and discovered why I was scheduled from 2-close on Wednesdays; Kem is only scheduled til 2.

Shift went well; only had to call for an approval code once, unlike Monday, when I had to do it twice!  Was supposed to go on lunch at 4, but when the family arrived, I saw Mel and asked her; she said it had been pushed to 5.  So Will hung around and bagged for me, and even tried to help a customer find a board.

Had a storm blow in, and several customers hung around to wait it out.  One even had me tag their carpet, and said they'd return in the morning.  They actually came back around 8:30 and got it.

Mgr A arrived and was surprised I'd not taken my break yet, and sent Jane down....just as I began ringing up a large order.  Turned out she was paying by check with a new account, and the check refused to go through.  Called Mgr A, who was again surprised I was still on the clock, so she came down to take care of it.  At this point, it began raining again, so had to walk fast through the rain to the truck.

Had a good meal at Dogwood, and went back to work.  Things went well until 9:05.  I'd locked the doors, and was waiting for my drawer to be pulled, when a customer came around the corner.....with a bunch of stuff needing discounted, all needing an override.  A was on her way down, then discovered she'd already put her card away.  Called for another one....and finally got everything rung up and the customer sent on their way!  Clock out time:  9:28.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes a little smoother, like Tuesday's shift!

Day 70:  What IS it with Last Minute Customers???
Shift began well; I was in a good mood all afternoon....and then I returned from lunch break.
   -A Pepsi had exploded, and it had taken most of our paper towels to mop up.
   -Chad and Jordan arrived, only Mgmnt sent J home, since he was over his hours.
   -I don't think C hardly had any time to catch his breath....every time he turned around, a customer needed him.  He unloaded trucks; loaded trucks; pulled down OSB; helped load concrete.  A guy came in to return the insulation blower and half a pallet of insulation.  He went out to count how many, and reported 42.  Scott had to come out and unload it, since C was busy!
    -A Hispanic man came in to return some lumber.  He'd been in Wed, but apparently had returned the wrong ones, lol!  It took me a few minutes to dig through his receipts and find the correct ones.  But was confused when I went out to count them; he  had the 5 1x4x6s, but instead of 3 2x8x8s, there were five.  I called down to CS to have him confirm how many he was returning, since I had highlighted only the three.  A few minutes later, he returned, and I did more digging through his receipts, and found one where he'd bought 8.  He confirmed he was returning only 5, so that was the one I highlighted and initialed.  When he returned again with another cart load, I rang him up, then joked that when his project was finished, he should take a picture of it, then come back and show it off!  He agreed, and went out the door.
 
At 8:30, things were going well.  All I had to do was lock the doors, so I decided to at least wash the doors.  I was only able to wash half of one when a customer arrived.  Managed to finish washing the other half.....and then a bunch more showed up, including a customer with discounted carpet.....which needed an override.  Called Mgr A; she was in the restroom.  Called for a code 99, and Scott arrived.  I'd calculated the 1st one correctly, but for whatever reason, could NOT do the remaining two!  Thankfully, S helped, and the 4th didn't need discounted.  Finished ringing everything up, then tackled the next customer.  Meanwhile, A hopped on #2 and rang up the non-cash ones!  I finished, shut off my light, and gathered my items while A finished with hers, then pulled my drawer.  We clocked out at 9:20.

Thankfully, tomorrow's payday!  Here's hoping tomorrow will be nice and slow??  And all crazy customers will stay home, or go up front???

Day 71:  TGIF!
According to my weather app, rain was in the forecast for 5pm and 8pm.  Storm blew in around 4:45, and the place quickly cleared out.  I was sent to lunch at 5:15, and when I returned a half hour later, things had picked up a little, but not much.  Ally had already pulled the trash, but had forgotten the Pro's and the coffee machine, thankfully, so I was able to keep a bag open for when I swept up the place.

I spent the majority of the evening on Reg. #2, due to the fact that when I arrived, the printer froze, and nothing she did could reboot it.  Mgr Ad came down, and they ended up rebooting the entire system, then she had to ring up the entire transaction again.  BUT, with the reboot, the screen went small, and neither Luke nor Ian knew how to enlarge it.  It was difficult for me to read the numbers, so I hopped over to #2.

After lunch, I swept, washed windows, wiped down the counters, and even swept under every pad.  Mgr Ad called down, asking if maybe I'd like a bathroom break, so I said sure, and that's when the evening went to hell.

I decided to return some respirator masks to the paint aisle, and a customer pointed out there was an expired price.  Thinking he was just pointing it out, I removed it, and went on my merry way.  After returning to Lumber, the customer came down and told me they were going to honor the price, and what did I do the coupon?  At this point I thought, 'Oh shit...', then 'fessed up I'd thrown it away.  He wanted me to call my boss, so I called Ad, and got someone else.  Confessed I'd messed up, and told him where to find the coupon.  Customer wanted to talk to him, and then informed him I had 'acted as if I didn't want to talk to him', which shocked me.  I HONESTLY didn't intend to come off rude, and this hurt, since 99% of the time I'm ALWAYS willing to be helpful, even if it's not in my area!  Then one of the girls from Paint came down and asked me where the coupon was, and I told her exactly where to find it.  At this point, I was beginning to fear I was facing a confrontation with Scott, being written up, or worse, fired.  Spoke to Mgr Ad when she came down, who reassured me that all was fine.

No crazy customers between 8:30 and closing!  BOY I hope next week is smoother than this week has been!  Wore my hair in a ponytail on Tues and Fri, and were both slow days.  Maybe I need to wear it up more often?

No comments: