Monday, June 10, 2019

Life In Lumber, Week #11

Day 64:  New Feature!
I was worried about being able to complete my shift, due to an intestinal issue which hit me around 2:30, then again at 4:30 (fortunately, Mel was standing right there, so I was able to go to the restroom!), and yet again the first 5 minutes of my lunch break!  But fortunately, it didn't return, so I was happy:)

Clocked in and arrived, and after my 1st customer paid, a reminder popped up:  Waiting for customer to choose receipt method.  

HUH?

Apparently now customers have an option of getting their receipts via email, and it's a HUGE PAIN when they pay in CASH!

I don't like it, and only had two customers choose the 'email' option.

Was pleasantly surprised I get 30 minutes for lunch every day.

At the end of the night, I had more customers between 8-9 than I'd had the previous two!  Wish I'd started my closing duties earlier.....I'd had to wait for an override on paint, due to it ringing up $35, but the note on it was $9.  I managed to do everything except fill the bags, and spot-swept.  Asked Tasha when Lumber would be getting another large dust mop, and she said she'd see that we had one tomorrow.

Had to take a twisted piece of something back to RTM before I was able to take off my vest.

Felt 'foggy' all shift, due to taking both Mucinex and a double hit of Delsym, to keep down the coughing!  But otherwise, I was happy to be back in Lumber!

Day 65:  OOPS!
We had a major mishap tonight in Lumber.

One of the guys (C) accidentally forgot to put the forks down on the forklift as he was coming through the back door, and broke said door.  Steve was about to faint; it was a $3K door.  Needless to say, C's forklift license has been revoked, and he now needs to recertify.  Which means Ian's going to be upset, since nothing can be moved around tonight!

Customers were good and steady; Larry C bought us all candy bars again.  Darren didn't want his, so I offered it to a family with small children.  They were pleased!

I also had a dad come in with 3 little girls, and bought a roll a plastic for a slip-n-slide.  When they began having to search for the remaining $3, I quietly knocked the price down to under $24.  The father thanked me profusely, since he only had $24....and one of the girls offered her quarter to help out!  So I did a good deed.

Managed to do ALL my closing duties.....except fill the bags.  OOPS!

I also thought I'd heard Cindy say we were now closed, and began locking the doors.  A man walked up, and I told him we were closed.

"But it's not 9pm yet!"

C informed me it was still two minutes till.....OOPS!

Here's hoping tomorrow goes smoothly!

Day 66:
Shift went well!  Marcie relieved me for lunch, and things were steady until around 8.  I was able to get the trash collected, counters wiped, place swept, and even washed the windows.  Put the soda away, then had to wait on Darren, who was outside with the forklift, taking out the trash.  Had a bunch of stuff to return, and was almost finished when Mel paged me they were waiting.  So I detoured past the break room and took off my vest, then Darren took two of the four items to help me out.  We both clocked out at the same time.....and now I'm off for the next four days, and then I start my full-time shift!  Hope I get this sinus stuff kicked, because this morning I felt like Death Warmed over.

Also had two guys come in, wanting to know about taxi service.  Told them I didn't thing we had one, and they asked if I knew anyone who would take them downtown for $8.  Told them they could walk  and be there in 10-15 minutes, but they refused, so said if they could hang around til close, I'd take 'em.  One bought a can of peanuts, the other a soda, and left.

A few minutes later, I heard shouting, and they were in the McAllister's parking lot, trying to convince one of our customers to give 'em a lift.  Customer refused, so they sat down.  I thought, 'Guys, if you'd walked, you'd have been there by now!'

About fifteen or so minutes went by; I checked again and didn't see them, so they either caught a ride or were inside McAllister's.

See you next week!

No comments: