Saturday, May 23, 2020

Life as a Red Vest, Week #42

Day 191: Memorial Saturday
First of all, it sure doesn't feel like Memorial Weekend.  No Indy 500, no Rendezvous, no Farmer's Market....but what did feel 'normal' was the crowd at work.  At one point, we had 3 lines going full blast, just like after the 1st stimulus checks arrived in bank accounts.

Had one 'oopsie'.....was ringing up a bunch of plumbing pipe and realized something had stalled the register, but I'd already bagged it all.  Tried to figure out where the stall occurred, but lines were long, so I just said. 'You know what?  I don't care; Merry Christmas!' and totalled it out.

My back started killing me about an hour in; it never let up.  Went to lunch at Subway, and it felt better while I was sitting down, but after returning to work, had to bend down and there it was again.  Traffic slowed a bit, but we definitely needed two people in Lumber all day.  Thankfully, I was due to leave at 7, but my final customer needed an approval code, so had to call the 1-800 # and was able to clock out around 7:10.

Did enjoy my 5 days off!

Outfit:  Blue striped tee, dark capris.  It was 85 degrees outside.

Day 192:  Memorial Sunday
As I arrived, was informed all the credit card machines were down, and we were 'cash only'.  Thankfully, that only lasted about an hour, and everyone in Lumber was fairly nice about the situation.  Marci, Jill, and I work well together, so everything went smoothly....except that my back continued to ache.  Same thing as yesterday; it would start to get really bad, and I'd get sent on break to sit down.  But by 7pm, I was in horrible pain, since I'd gone to lunch at Wendy's at 3:30, and my last break was at 6:30.  At 7, J left, and so did my get up and go.  The scanner kept throwing a fit, so had to use my phone app to scan for the item #, which slowed things down, and the credit machine threw a fit on certain cards.  Had to hand-key in several all day.  Finally, we closed; I locked the doors and sanitized everything, plus took down the trash.  By the time I clocked out, I was ready to nearly cry with the pain, and asked Mgr T 'how bad do you need me tomorrow?'  She said I was needed to close, and asked if I could come in 12-close or even 2-close.  I suggested 5-close, and she agreed.  Told her my back had been screaming at me for 2 days.  Am hoping the extra time off will settle it down.  I really need to schedule a session with Jen.

Outfit:  White tee, black/white vest, dark capris.  Again, temps were mid-high 80s, with a thunderstorm at 6pm.


No comments: