Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Life as a Red Vest, Week #41

Day 186:  8-5
Began my day in Lumber, and things were fairly nice and smooth.  Kem went to break, then I moved over to #2, and at 10, took my 1st break.  I was hungry, but the machine wouldn't take my credit card, so Brandt loaned me a dollar for a Snickers.  Then when I returned, K went to lunch.  At 11, MK told me that as soon as K returned, to please go to LG and give Alex a chance to warm up.  K didn't return until 11:15, and after I took my pit stop, MK paged me.  Called her and told her I was heading out there; everything was okay.  I 'suited up' and went to relieve Alex.

Close to noon, I spotted D pulling into the lot (he'd kept the phone, due to needing to speak to his INR nurse) and he not only returned my phone, but asked if I was close to lunchtime, and if so, he'd get LJS.  I called MK, who confirmed yes, my lunch would be at noon.  So D went across the street; Cris relieved me at noon; I took another pit stop and took off my vest, then clocked out and went to meet D in the parking lot.  Sat in the warm truck and ate my fries, cole slaw, and 3 chicken, as well as one crab cake, then we went to Subway to get the kids' lunch.  He returned me at 1, and I discovered I'd be back outside.  Ate another Snickers, then 'suited up' again and relieved C.

Rang up one customer, then C returned and told me they wanted me inside.  I went inside, but both Cindy and Mel were confused, and told me to go back, since I was already prepared.  So I did...and stayed there until the end of my shift.

Had a few issues with not seeing the 'clearance' tag, and we discovered a discrepancy with the ferns.  The bar code on the flowers rings up $32.98; however, the PLANTER rings up $14.98!  Aliscia said she'd left a note for Kylie about it.  All in all, I think C only needed one o/r, and so did I.

Did learn where the azaleas were, lol!  Plus, even though we don't have to wear masks outside, I discovered they DO keep your face warm.  Took my final break at 3:45, and loaned my final dollar (D had given me 2 after lunch, when Subway was out of cookies) to Cory.  Returned and sent C to lunch, and when C returned at 5:15, I left to go clock out.

Felt like I was sneaking out, lol!

Outfit:  Red turtleneck, blue compression socks.  It was only 54 degrees outside!

Day 187:  8-5, #2
Once again, was in Lumber from 8-11, then was sent up front.  Hopped on #10 and was there for ninety mins, until I was sent to lunch.  Went to McD's, and when I returned, was sent out to LG.  Took my break at 3, and was in LG until 4, then sent to Lumber, where things went downhill.  Not too much; just slightly.

Customer A wanted to pay $212 in cash, and the rest on the card.  Register would NOT take the cash, despite multiple attempts.  Called HC C, and tried it one more time.  It took it, but at the last second, switched.  C ended up finishing the sale, refunding it, then we re-scanned everything.  This time, did the card 1st, then the cash, and it worked:)

Customer B had a box of switches; Mgr T came down as I was ringing it up.  I'd also forgotten to put my mask back on after the fiasco with A!  Thought she was going to take me to task for that, but no, she took me to task for not ringing up every single switch individually.

Customer C had everything invoiced, but part of his order was behind the Pro desk.  We found part of it.....then the screws were on the counter.....but where was the drywall mud?  He called Brandon, who revealed he'd not grabbed it yet.  Customer found it, and away they went.  Pam reappeared, and I clocked out and went home.

Outfit:  Long-sleeved black tee (taken off after lunch), Maroon JHS Band tee.  It was a glorious 86 degrees and WINDY!  I joked that my hair looked like a lionfish....hair sticking straight up!

Saw Bill Hall, Pam from church, and Penny K:)

Day 188:  8-5, #3
Was in Lumber all day, and for the first four hours, things were nice and steady.  It poured about the time I went on break, and when Kem went to lunch, things picked up slightly, but not much.  I went to lunch at noon, and S brought A and Taco to me at 12:30, as I was eating my Wendy's (they brought my Aleve to me).

After lunch, things were strange.
-A man told me he'd found this siding in a bundle; neither me nor Kyle could find it on the app or on his Zebra.  He asked the guy if he'd gotten it off a cart; no.  K went to the back, then called me.  The guy's son confirmed he'd taken it off a cart; K told me he'd taken it off someone's order.  When I informed the customer he'd have to take it back, he got pissy (probably b/c he got caught?) and threw his lumber on the floor for his son to pick up, then paid for it, muttering 'You never see this at M....no wonder L's in bankruptsey'....

-A customer asked me about the 5-in-1 Craftsman thingy....I went with him to CS, only to be told Tools is supposed to order it, so back we went, and I found Olivia to turn him over to.

-Mgr T came down and ragged me about something.

-Later, she returned and ragged me about 'why are all the customers over at #2?'  I replied they had just gotten in line.  'No, they were up here as I walked up.'  Yeah, but they were also conferring over their list.  Get off my back...

-P went to lunch and half an hour later, I needed an o/r.  After I got it, Josh arrived and called for help.  People were patient; I could have handled it.

I was soooooo happy when P arrived back!

Outfit:  White flamingo tee, long-sleeved black tee.

Day 189:  12:30-close
The first four hours, I wished I'd stayed in bed.

I went to McD's for lunch, then was up front for the 1st hour, then went down to Lumber.....and all hell broke loose.
-Customer A paid with a check.  Check refused to cooperate, so entered it manually....then the printer locked up.  Nothing worked, so called for back up.  Moved over to #3 while Mel was dealing with it.  #3's printer refused to print....as soon as Mel left!  Called again for backup, and this time Jessica showed up.  We ended up alternating customers on 2 and 3 until the register rebooted, and then everything was fine....until I tried to scan a countertop.  It wasn't in the system, which backed up the line AGAIN.  Finally Jessica got it to work, then Melisa went to lunch.  I hopped over to #1....and customer C needed an override!

Finally around 3, things settled down.  I went to lunch at 4, and was happy to see there was NO WAITING at Arby's!  Was back by 4:20, and enjoyed my gyro.  Clocked back in at 5 and things were steady.  At 8:30, I was able to start sanitizing, and had everything done, including the soda, by 9:20.  We all clocked out at 9:30.

Outfit:  Lowe's tee.  Discovered nearly everyone was also eschewing the masks, so took mine off within seconds of arriving at the front!

Day 190:  11-8pm
Today was a welcome change from yesterday!  I didn't wear my mask, and no one complained.  Began my day at Subway, and wolfed it down before clocking in.  Was in Lumber all day; took my 1st break around 1, and lunch at 3:30.  It poured on and off through the early hours, then the sun came out.  Ordered lunch from McAllister's, and walked over to get it.  Took my 2nd break at 5:30, since Melisa left at 6.  Did the pop count, plus spilled my drink down my shirt.  Ron L came by as I was counting the soda and teased me about shaking my ass at everyone....then when he returned, I was counting the Monster cooler, and he asked, "Are you still standing there?"  I told M to charge him double; he was 'harassing' me, ha ha!

Also saw Tracy L, who told me about how he tried to cut off his thumb with a circular saw.  He'd hit a knot, and the saw jumped.

Began sanitizing everything around 6:30, and it began POURING around 7:30.  The place cleared out; I was able to get everything done by 8.  Katelyn and Jasmine came down to finish loading the soda cooler (I was with a customer), and after the rain slacked off enough the customers could leave, I locked the doors, took my trash down, and took off my vest.  We all clocked out around 8:25.

Outfit:  Black lace/Blue dress shirt, dark capris, black/pink compression anklets.  Thinking I might order the large ones next time....

No comments: