Monday, April 5, 2021

Life In Lumber, Year 3, Week 1

 Day 5:

Arrived; did LU, then headed to lumber.  Was busy for 1st hour, then was able to do the pop count and prelim duties and sanitized the registers.  Was steady until break time, 7:35.  Came back and was busy until 8:45, when things finally slowed. Swept and sanitized the registers plexiglass, then locked the doors at 9.  HC D cleaned me out, so returned a pair of pliers to Tools, then hung up my vest.

Went to BW3 and watched the final NCAA game, Gonzaga vs Baylor.  Baylor spanked 'em, 85-70. I really wanted Zaga to win, but was happy for Baylor's 1st title!

Outfit:  Maroon shirt, new jeggings, Monet mask


Day 6:

Arrived, and had to help Carmen with a payment authorization call.  Clocked in, and was busy all shift.  Barely had time to get anything sanitized; in fact, didn't even pull trash until after 7 or even get the paperwork gathered until then!  Did manage to sweep a little toward the end, and get the registers wiped down.  #1 ran out of $1s, so hopped over to #2.  Brenda relieved me at 7:30, and when I returned, she was on #1.  But scanner quit, so went back to #2 for rest of evening.  After Mgr Bren cleaned me out, I towed in two more carts, then closed the big door.

Outfit:  Short-sleeved white waffle-knit shirt, new jeggings, Monet mask


Day 7:

Was called in today at 4; realized I'd forgotten to do yesterday's LU....oops!  Did horrible today; only scored 1/5. Finally had time to switch vests, and went to Lumber to discover Kenzie training Carmen.  I took a pit stop, then K left.  I helped C and did the pop count.  When she left at 5, things were fairly steady.  Ran out of $1s, so hopped on #2 for about 2 hours.  Sammi relieved me at 6:10, and when I returned, was still steady.  Finally around 7, HC M brought the ones, and was able to switch back.  Spot-swept, gathered trash and paperwork, and sanitized the registers.  At 8:30, was able to get the plexiglass and counters wiped.

Had a customer try to steal a candy bar; he slid it into the bag right in front of me.  I said. "Oh, I'm sorry; I missed that." and rang it up.  Geez.....

Clocked out around 9:20.

Outfit:  Blue Whitehorse sweatshirt, new jeggings, blue plaid mask


Day 8:

First of all, some sad news to report.  Prince Phillip passed away.  Prayers to Queen Elizabeth II and her family.

Arrived and bought a bag of Chex Mix and a new blue dust mop.  After clocking in, discovered Jill trying to find the price of a Kobalt tool....it was ringing up $199, but the pick ticket said $299....and when loader C brought it up, the sign said $249.  So we charged him only $200!  Did the pop count and was steady all the way til 7, when I was able to get some of my closing duties accomplished.  Rain arrived at 7:30 when I returned from break, and it was a zoo from then on.  Never did sanitize anything, but got the area behind the counter swept and trash gathered.  Had to call HC D 4 times; once to unlock rocking chairs; another to unlock a wheelbarrow; and 2 o/r.  At one point, I was even operating 2 registers while waiting for D to arrive!  Finally got my mop put together and hid it in the corner by the Pro filing cabinet.  I may go in tomorrow and wrap the handle in pink duct tape and put my name on it....

Outfit:  Brown tee, new capris, blue plaid mask.  It was 85 degrees today!

No comments: