Monday, April 10, 2023

Life in Lumber: Y5, W7

 Day 30:  $12,980

Arrived at 3 and took over for K; things were slow. Pro Se needed sales numbers, so I stayed on his sales ID for an hour, and racked up 4K for him. Then everyone left, and the 'fun' began....

I ran 3 registers at one point, b/c #1 needed an o/r on carpet AND needed an item # for the other roll. #2 was tied up with insulation...first a price check, then  adding more to the LAR.  I rang up at least 5 people on #3 before 1 and 2 were finalized! Began the prelim duties, but kept getting distracted by having to ring up customers. Didn't get trash pulled until nearly 8pm/ At 7:30, had a customer ask me to do a VSP on him; had to call ASM J for instructions.  Turned out to be a fairly simple process.  Only took me 3 tries before he paid and was out the door. Trin sent me to break at 8:20, and when I returned, finished the trash, spot-swept the floor and mucked out the mats. Didn't get a chance to sanitize anything; had another customer at 9:50 decide to buy 4 bags of the discounted concrete. Finally locked the doors at 9:10.  While HC J was cleaning out the registers, I took the trash to the hopper and returned an item to Aisle 50. Walked her up front, then returned items to Electrical, Lighting, and Fashion Bath. Clocked out at 10:40.

ASM K left at 3:)

Outfit: Gray LU tee, red v-neck, new faded jeggings, thin gold hoops.

Off tomorrow, for QuickBooks workshop at Pantheon:)  Of course, I could still get called in....


Day 31:  $7415

Arrived and took over for B; was busy for a few mins, then did the prelim duties. Around 7, things started to slow, so spot-swept the area.  ASM S sent me to break at 7:30, and when I returned, mucked out the mats  At 8:30, pulled the trash and did the closing duties. Locked the doors at 10, and ASM S cleaned me out. Took the trash down to the hopper, then walked S up front, returning items to Tools, Hardware, and ISLG.

Had one alarming moment:  Customer arrived, clutching his chest.  I asked if he was alright, and he said no, he'd been having heart issues.  I called for Loader E1 (he's the only one now; E2 was fired last night), and customer griped that he was okay and didn't need special treatment. The longer we talked, the better he felt, but I still watched him all the way to his truck and back, then again as he left.  He told me he'd had a pacemaker installed on Sunday.  I hope he's okay.

ASM M asked me to bring up the new ads from the training room, so got a flat cart from 21 and did so, then returned the cart back to Lumber. Clocked out at exactly 10:56; I'd clocked in at 4:56.  I kinda like it when the times match up, ha ha!

ASM K left at 4:)

Outfit:  L/S black/gray tee, Blessed G'ma tee, new dark jeggings, gold and diamond ovals.


Day 32:  $5182

Arrived and took over for B, and was slow at first, so fronted soda and did the prelim duties. #1 was out of $5s and 10s, so hopped to #2. ASM S came down with a customer, and we bantered back and forth, esp when I asked about the $$ he was supposed to bring me, ha ha!  Soon, HC K came down, and for whatever reason, ASM S began talking like a muppet (Fozzie?  Gonzo??); I joined in; HC K showed ASM S how to take the doors off the Pepsi cooler, and it was Comedy Central for about 5 minutes when she couldn't get it back on!  I went back to #1 and the 'rush' ended around 7. Spot-swept the floor and finished the prelim duties, then at 7:30, things got busy again.  My phone rang; I ignored it. It rang again; I silenced it and texted W 'I'm at work'.  Then S called...and called....the 3rd time I apologized to the customer and answered it....then discovered W had chest pains so bad he was on his knees and Dad had taken him to the ER. I finished with the customer, called HC K, who sent Dawson down.  I clocked out and went to the ER.

Turned out NOT to be cardio-related; they're fairly certain he has costro chondritis, or the inflamation of the chest wall, caused by when the truck collapsed on him last year.  And he needs to quit smoking.  I dropped off his prescription and went back to work, only to discover ASM K had said not to come in; things had slowed.  I went down to Lumber and helped Dawson finish the trash, brought in 5 carts, and took his returns back.  Looked at my sales numbers, grabbed 4 HB and 4 hot dogs and brought them home.

The HBs had something spicy on them; I tried to eat one before work and my tongue was on fire.

ASM K also told me, "We don't stop our work to accomodate someone wanting the broken concrete..."  I informed her that in E2's defense, the bag had broken as he was putting it in a bag, and THAT'S why he was shoveling it after hours.  She just rolled her eyes.  I also told her after I returned that things were okay, and she acted as is she could have cared less.  Just shows what a bad mgr she is.

Arrived at 4:56; clocked out at 8:06.

Outfit:  Purdue tee, new dark jeggings, diamond and gold ovals.


Day 33:  $6673

Arrived and took over for B; was immediately swamped and didn't get a chance to do the prelim duties for an hour. Things died down for a bit; was able to sneak in my LU and read my email. Was swamped again at 7, and one customer in particular ticked me off.  "I have a card on file."  Okay....couldn't find it under the LBA or the LAR.  "The morning lady knows where to find it..." ( I soooo wanted to say, "Do I look like her??", but refrained.) and had him call his boss, who then complained, "This happens every time....the card is on file!" So ran it as a phone order, and things went through. Jaylee arrived to help with the back up, thankfully!  She sent me to break at 8:15, and when I returned, began the closing duties. Spot-swept the floor and mucked under the mats, sanitized the registers and counters, and even pulled the outside trash.  Brought in the cull cart at 9:50 when we had NO CARS in the lot, and locked the doors five minutes later.  HC K cleaned me out; I walked her up front and returned items to Tools and Batteries (Loader E had already taken the trash to the hopper.) Loader H got his vest tonight!

Outfit: Black Def Leppard tee, new dark jeggings, diamond and gold ovals.

Learned ASM K has the weekend off!


Day 34:  Rare Sat  $11,046

Was asked to come in at 3, so I did, and spent the first 15 mins in LG, covering Patty's break. Three customers later, my back was killing me.  P returned, so went down to Lumber, where we weren't that busy, thank god.  Was able to stretch out my back, and then was called to go back to LG to cover P's LUNCH!  So I did, and was constantly busy.  Had one customer who said two plants were $4, but when we checked, no....$17. She didn't want them.  Went back to Lumber after P returned, and Jaylee stayed until after 5:30 to help with the line. I finally got on #1 around 6, and did the prelim duties, plus swept the area.  Was sent to lunch at 6:30 (1 hour!), and when I returned, started the closing duties, and it's a good thing I did:  Had a 'problem child' who wanted the VSP, but needed to change a few things. Through trial and error, we got it done....but set it up for delivery, and they discovered they couldn't get their preferred delivery date.  So tried to set it up for P/L, and the system wouldn't let me.  Ended up setting the delivery date to May, so they could come in and pick it up.  THEN the circular saw didn't zero out, and by the time we got it figured out and totaled (Josh came down to help and I hopped on #2 to ring up a few customers), we discovered Josh hadn't known I'd run it through VSP.  He rerurned/rebilled; ASM S came down; we ended up redoing the entire thing with the 11% discount, and this time, on a P/L!  They left at 10:05.  I had already pulled the trash, so locked the doors.  ASM S cleaned me out, then saw the Coke cooler and asked if I could stay til 11.  I said yes, so filled what I could of both the Coke and Pepsi coolers.  Clocked out at 11:05.

Outfit:  Rob Strong tee, new dark jeggings, thin gold hoops


Dat 35:  Rare Early Sunday $11,576

Barely made it to work on time; clocked in at 7:59.  Adrianna's jaw hit the floor..."YOU?  At 8 AM?"  I said, "Yeah,...don't get used to it." Went down to Lumber and Loader N was unlocking the doors.  Logged on to #1 and watched 2 people enter.  Didn't check anyone out until maybe half an hour later? Did the Monster count, my LU, and some reorganization. Things picked up around 10.  HC J arrived at 10:30 for my break; I brought my book and coat back with me. At 11 Jaylee arrived with doughnuts. I went to lunch at 12 (McAs), and when I returned, J said she'd just had a rush.  We were both a little busy for maybe half an hour, so when things eased up, I filled the Monster and the Red Bull coolers.  At 3:30, J went to lunch, and I was a little busy, but not too bad.  J came back at 4:30; I took my coat and book to the back.  Clocked out at 5:15.

Outfit:  Blue hooded Cabela's sweatshirt, new dark jeggings, sea horses




No comments: