Saturday, November 29, 2008

What the Hell...???

Currently Reading: I finished A Funny Thing....Wedding yesterday! Kelly, another recommended read for you! I was unable to purchase 3 of the 5 books I wanted, because 2 were still not in print, and (head slap!) one won't even BE in print for another couple of months! So, I bought the E-format for myself:) I'm almost finished with Holding Out for a Hero, and had to force myself to put it down once the PC finished loading. I've only got 2 chapters left, so I'm going back to it as soon as I finish playing on the internet. I also read Adrianne Brennan's Blood and Mint Chocolates. I found it interesting.

Next E-book: Sacred Ground by Rita Karnopp


I just don't get it. What the hell has happened to people's sanity on the day after Thanksgiving? Yesterday was truly a 'Black Friday' for the families of two store workers, trying to make a living and helping others with the so-called 'Christmas Spirit'. Oh wait a minute....that was NOT an example of true Christmas spirit; that was the sound of selfish GREED!

I have lived in a large town, and I am currently living in a small town, with only three major stores in town: Walmart, K-Mart, and Kohls. Did I get up at some ungodly hour to start shopping? No; I was busy sleeping off my Thanksgiving day of cooking, eating, and visiting with friends.

I did stay in my pj's until noon, and yes, I spent more on Amazon.com than I have in recent transactions. All in the comforts of my home. And when I did venture out, around 2pm, it was first a trip to a small store that advertized Thomas the Tank Engine toys, 40% off. I was one of 4 customers in the store, and not only did I find a gift for my nephew, but I also found a gift for my niece, my parents, and I'll be going back to get another item for my honorary granddaughter.

And then I ventured over to Kohls, thinking if it was too crowded I'd skip it. I not only found a close parking spot, but I went in, found what I was looking for, discovered the boots I want are on sale at 50% off, found an empty check-out line, paid, and left. I was gone a total of an hour.

And then I hear on the radio about a fatality in New York. Have we gotten soooooo desperate to 'get the good sales' that shoppers are now literally breaking down the doors and trampling store workers? Yes, I realize this has also happened on other Black Fridays. But people, really. Is it worth it? I say no.

A couple of years ago, we laughed at a friend of ours who got to Walmart at 4am just to get a DVD player for $20. Well guess what? My mom and dad found one, 2 weeks later, for the same price! That's right; the 'special sale' wasn't so special, after all.

I heard some poor guy whining that he had to stand in line for 2 hours for the store to open. I've got news for you; go in the afternoon, when all the crazies are tired and on their way home, or collapsing in restaurants! And yes, I've done this in the big city, too. Go in the afternoon! You'll be in a much better mood; you'll be rested; your shopping experience will be a hell of a lot more enjoyable. And oh yes, you might even catch yourself humming a Christmas song or two while you shop.

Sorry for the rant; this just really irked me yesterday.

I'm off to do laundry and keep an eye on my toddler, who is having some intestinal issues since 4am. Things seemed to have slowed down; I just hope the rest of the family doesn't have the same problem this weekend!

3 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Did you see on the news that some Black Friday shoppers had pitched tents in front of Best Buy the night before?:)

Anonymous said...

Nuts, just nuts! We avoid the friday after like the plague. What a great message to send kids about the meaning of Christmas. Not.

I think I read that book, Moll. Who's the author?

Molly Daniels said...

Cindy K Green. I've loved her books so far, and soon I'll be diving into her NovelTea series:)