Friday, February 3, 2012

Flashback Friday

Valentine's Day 1972:
I don't particularly remember it, but I'm assuming Mom and I spent an evening filling out my cartoon valentines to take to school!  Mom always made sure we had chocolate hearts, or the filled chocolates in the heart-shaped box, plus a special card, when we woke up on Feb 14th.  There would also be cards in the mail from grandparents and aunts and uncles; some with money, sometimes just a signature or a special note.

My favorite candy is still solid milk chocolates, or the vanilla cream kind.  I can't stand the coconut; the strawberry-filled; chocolate covered cherries; and especially dislike the ones where you can't tell if you're about to bite into something your taste  buds are going to reject or enjoy.  I know there's a site out there which tells you what the little swirls mean; however, would it be too much to ask to simply print out a CHART on the inside cover of the box?

Present Day:
OMG....saw a 'blast from the past' last night.  This obnoxious guy, MW, came up to me, insisting he knew me.  I kept shaking my head no....and Billie even told me he asked her 'Please tell me she's single?'  Thank god I'm not!

After several attempts to keep his hands from my shoulder, something he said clicked.

"Wait...wait....you know N....("Yes!")....Fall of '85....("Yes!")....You loved that song 'We Built This City' by Starship'...("Oh Lord!  You remember THAT?")...I thought your name was Wes...("See there? I told you I knew you!")....OMG!"

He finally left me alone, somewhat, after that, but I noticed his hands kept getting draped lower around my shoulders, and I wondered if I needed to make it even more clear I was NOT interested.  But thankfully, he sat at his own table after that and would only 'check in' with me every half hour.


My wicked sense of humor set in during the last rotation, and sang 'We Built This City', dedicating it to MW.  He laughed, shook his head, and cracked up when I sang 'his' line:  "We built this city on LOVE!"

Thankfully, he was so drunk last night, he won't remember any of it....


I did attract the attention of three other (better looking!) guys!  One I dance with twice (to avoid MW); one I sang 'Paradise By The Dashboard Light' with; and the third hugged me after I sang 'Bed of Roses'.  Harmless fun, and it was a night I really needed!  I'm paying for it this morning; got in at 3am; Roxie insisted on being let outside at 4 (just as I was finally drifting off to sleep!); I woke up at 7:15.  Probably going to need a nap this afternoon, or at least go to bed early!

But after a week or two with an irate spouse, it's nice to know I can still attract my share of attention from the opposite sex, no matter if they are old enough to be my son, lol!

Just keep the obnoxious ones away from me?  I like a guy who can take a hint and knows when I'm not interested!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a great feeling when you're shown attention! :)

Molly Daniels said...

Exactly:) Nice boost to the ego;)