Friday, September 7, 2018

Flashback Friday: "Why Me?"

Forgot To Mention in August 1978:
W and I had fun with Uncle B in pool!  We stood on his shoulders; performed antics on the diving board.  Grandpa and I on the porch with the welk, and it scared me when its foot decided to extend!  We went to the bird sanctuary and met George the Sandhill crane,and spent an afternoon in the Christmas tree house.  Mom and Dad also took us to King's Island; I think this was the year the Animal safari section opened.

Sept 1978:
"You're Still Dating HIM?"
The girls in my class were flumoxed.  Instead of changing boyfriends every week, I was still with S....and he went to a rival school.  A couple of girls decided to test my loyalty.

I was happily eating my solitary lunch (none of my friends had my lunch hour) when two boys from the 8th grade suddenly plopped their trays down across the table from me.  I knew who they were; Mike W and JR, who hung around some of the more popular girls in my class.  I decided to ignore them, but they engaged me in conversation, so I ate as fast as I could, then escaped to the gym.

Day #2, same thing.  I was confused; why were they hanging around ME?

Day #3, I had just entered the cafeteria when I saw them waving their arms and gesturing me over to their table.  I panicked, and that's the day I stopped eating lunch.

EM came up to me and questioned why I didn't want to talk to Mike or JR, who were 'obviously interested in me'.  I replied I wasn't interested, since I had S.  She shook her head and left me alone.

I'm An Alto??
I loved to sing, so it was a shock when I was placed in the alto section of Girl's Choir.

Saturday Morning Fun:
We'd enjoyed the Captain Kool and the Kongs the previous year; now suddenly the Bay City Rollers were on TV for an hour, often with Witchy Poo from HR Pufinstuff.  We sang along to Rock-n-Roll Love Letter, S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night, and to Shaun Cassidy's That's Rock-n-Roll.

Sunday mornings found S, D, and I hanging out at the church playground after Sunday School, until his parents finished with choir.  Then we'd wait until D left, then exchange kisses either behind a tree or in the 5th grade classroom.

Next Month:  Uncle Bill Visits!

***********
Present Day:
This is my final week in Lafayette, helping Mom and Dad.  Dad's job is on hiatus after Sunday, and I think my family has missed me this summer.  Mom, of course, wants me back later this month, so I'll have to feel out the family before I commit.  I've got three events this week:  1st Friday tonight; Eminence Harvest Fest; and the Vanderberg Co. Fairground event we did last year.

Mom saw the orthopedic  dr and got her locking brace for PT, and she's got an appointment to test her muscles later this month.

TS Gordon is supposed to arrive tonight or tomorrow; I sincerely hope it doesn't drown out the 1st Friday Art Walk!

Sad News:  Longtime family friend Bill Fall passed away on Wed.  He was either 101 or 102.

No comments: