Friday, November 29, 2019

Life As A Red Vest, Week 35

Day 156:  Black Friday
Who knew LHIC would be a 'hot spot' for holiday shopping?  I arrived at 12:30 after a difficult week off; my dad passed away on the 20th.  I'd decided to work the weekend, so a) I'd have a larger paycheck next Friday and b) I'd get a paycheck on the following pay period!  I also needed to find out how to file for the FMLA leave of absence.  Walked in; Mgr Tasha asked if I was all right to work, and to let her know if I needed any breaks.  Assured her I was fine, then headed to the back.  Ran into HR Don, who pointed me in the direction of the 800 #.  Located it, but the break room was noisy.  At some pizza, then clocked in and headed up front.

Was a bagger for 30 minutes, then when I suggested going out for carts, they had me hop on Reg 9. At 2:40, they sent me to Lumber, where I stayed the rest of the day.  I was on #1 and Ashley on #2.  Was fairly steady, and went to lunch from 4-5.  When I returned, Ash went, then we were sent on our 15 min breaks, me at 6:30 and her at 6:45.  From 7-9, I did mainly the closing duties:  Soda count and restocking the cooler; trash; sweeping.So when we closed at 9, our section was done.  Went up front to help with Returns; I took the CS trash, then swept the area.  Had to put a Rayovac Battery box back together, then swept the front aisle.  Clocked out at 10pm.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes just as smoothly!

Outfit:  Teal tee, dark flex jeggings, red/green cascading earrings.

Day 157:  
Had to laugh; I was paid to stand around for 2 hours and chat!  There were 3 of us in Lumber, and we were NOT busy, so Marci and I spent more time talking than ringing up customers!  The lights still weren't working, so we joked we were doing a new twist on the joke, 'the lights are on, but no one's home'....in our case, we were open, but the lights were off!  Marci went to lunch at 2; Jill left at 2:45; I went to lunch from 5:10-6:15 (I came back to buy my turbo scrubber, but it was gone).  Since we'd gone to McAllister's, the tea made my bladder work a little overtime, so I pretty much took my 15 minute break immediately, ha ha!  Still, when Marci left at 7, I did the closing duties and had zero customers between 8:30 and close.

Khadijah said she'd work for me on Mon, so I can attend Alex's X-mas show.  I need to run it past Tasha though.

Outfit:  Blue Cabella's hoodie, dark flex jeggings, green Santa hat earrings, red/green X-mas charm bracelet, black snow boots, since it rained all day.

Day 158:
Another BS day......arrived early and bought my cup phone, windmill, and all-weather notebook, then clocked in. Smuggled two long john doughnuts down to Lumber and ate them on the sly.  From 10:30-12, I returned items, helped Marci inventory the expired snacks, and filled in when necessary.  From 12-1:30, I was on the computer, doing my bias training, as well as another training video series.  Helped Marci while Jill was at lunch, then D picked me up at 2:20 and we went to LJS.

When I returned at 3:30, I filled in when necessary, and did the pop count.  Tasha approved Khadijah taking my shift for Mon, and said she'd call me if they needed me for Tues.  At 5, Aggie came down and sent Marci home early, then Jill left at 6.  At 6:15, I gathered the rest of the trash and wiped down the counters.  Locked the doors at 7, and Cindy had my register cleaned out five minutes later.  Went up front to help out, and Crystal sent us all out for carts.  I went to the bathroom before getting my coat, and discovered that Rachel and Co had already brought in all the carts:)  So clocked out and told everyone that I'd see them 'next year', in case I wasn't needed for Tues.

Outfit:  Bless This Mess sweatshirt, dark flex jeggings, red/green stocking earrings, X-mas charm bracelet.

Day 159:  Filing FMLA

No comments: