Monday, June 29, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #48

Day 214:  Start of 9 Day Stretch....
Day began on a high note; I arrived early and spoke to Steve about our vacation in August, and he approved it:)  The first four hours went well, then I went to lunch at Wendy's, and when I returned, did the soda count and swept the place thoroughly.  Only had 4 CFHs.....A had items I didn't recognize, and accidentally rang up three of his item twice.  Called down to the CS desk and told them I was sending him down for a refund.  B ended up calling me, saying he was missing a bag with pencils and glue.  I didn't have 'em, and they weren't in the cart.  Told him to return tomorrow and we'd make good.  After I hung up, I wondered if maybe the items hadn't rolled out of the bag and were in his truck???  C was a guy who was mad at the flooring dept; he wanted to order 36 feet of carpet, but was told it wouldn't be ready.  All he wanted to do was PAY for it.  Chat calmed him down and we took care of the transaction. D was Chad at the end....the item he grabbed was mismarked, so had to wait for Mel to come down for the o/r.

Charlie the Great Dane came in to see us, and the first thing he did was put his massive head on the counter ala 'Where's my treat?'  Kem didn't have any at #1, but I knew we had some at #2, so he eagerly followed me over there, sat, held out his paw, and greedily gulped two treats before following his owner.  When they returned, he laid down and gulped two more:)

Got my closing duties finished in a timely manner, so while I was waiting for Mel, I locked the doors and finished spraying down the carts.  Also, did the AP4Me between 1 and 2, and am #15 in rank.  Also was notified to change my PW.  Grrrrr.....

Tomorrow, I get to learn the new system.  Oh joy.....why do they have to fix something that's not broken??  Apparently all the newbies love it!

Outfit:  Blue floral tee, dark capris, HP mask

Day 215:  We Have A New System!!
Good thing we had two lanes going in Lumber....1st customer took me 5 minutes as I navigated the new system!  By the time Kem left, I was getting speedier on it.  Had planned to stay on Reg #2, but before K left, someone returned an insulation blower and left it in front of #2.  So we'll see how tomorrow goes....

Around 3, my CFH from yesterday with the carpet arrived, and was upset no one could find his order.  Turned out it was MY fault....I didn't know I was supposed to leave Flooring a note about his Pick Up Later.....oops...tried to explain it to him, but he wasn't listening.  Aliscia thought he was high on something.  Anyway, he told me at 4 he'd be back in an hour, and told Brandt he was ready to slap someone.  His carpet arrived at 4:45, and the guys were not amused he'd left.  I went to lunch at 5:15, and when I returned, he STILL hadn't come back.  He finally showed up at 7, very subdued.  He asked if I needed to see his receipt, to which I replied, "No, because I'm the one who rang you up last night!"

Had to call HC Cindy around 8:30 for a pit stop, then thought I was about to get in trouble, since Jess walked by, pushing carts, as I was ringing up a customer w/o my mask on.  I grabbed it as soon as I was finished, and acted as if I was drying my face.  Jess walked back and said, "I was about to ask you where your mask was!"

"I had to let my chin dry out a little!"

Just hoping she doesn't decide to check the videotape....I hadn't worn the darn thing the entire shift, except for maybe an hour on Reg #2???

Anyway, had the closing duties finished by 8:30, so when I returned from my pit stop, I finished the trash, locked the doors, and sorted the return pile.  After Cindy cleaned me out, I returned 5 items, emptied the trash, took off my vest, and took the loading tickets/tax exempts up front and clocked out.

Outfit:  JHS Band shirt, faded capris, multi-colored mask.

Day 216:  #3 of the 9-day stretch....
Shift started on a high note; I was on Reg #2 and doing well with the new system, and learned 4 more things about it:  a) can't look up gift card balances; b) how to edit the cart; c) how to do cull packs; and d) Pick Up Later is confusing and couldn't figure it out!  Took my 1st break at 2, then stayed on #2 until they sent me to lunch at 4:15.  Marci relieved me; I went to Hardee's, and spent the rest of the night on Reg #1.  Had some confusion over the deck boards; apparently earlier in the day there were 96 available for a customer, but when he came to get them around 7, they were nowhere to be found.  Think he got his $$ back.  Had a customer tell me I was 'prettier than' his project (sewer pipe), and he kept telling me 'this is my last trip in here.'  He came in 3 times!

When I was learning the cull pack, I asked Scott how to do it, and he said, 'I don't know.'

"And you call yourself a manager."  I teased him, then I played around with it until I figured it out.  Aggie even complimented me on the new system, saying I was picking it up faster than she was!

Had all closing duties over with by 9, and clocked out.

Outfit:  White flamingo tee, faded capris

Day 217:  My 'Short' Day, 1:30-close
Day began with Will getting his driver's permit....stay off the sidewalks!  LMAO...seriously, the kid's doing fine.

Walked into the break room and discovered the table was covered with cookies, fruit, cake, and pie.  Ate two sugar and two chocolate chip, then clocked in.  First three hours were fine; we were steady, but not slammed.  After K left, I stayed on #2 until the credit card machine locked up, so switched to #2.  Went to lunch at 5 (Arby's), and when I returned at 6, tried to get the pop count done, but due to customers, didn't finish until 7:30!  Dallas came down and relieved me for my 2nd break.

Saw Stan and got the skinny on he and S's breakup, and it was as I suspected....he was tired of the drama.

When I came back at 8, it was 'let's-buy-out-the-store'.  Had Stan with four carts; another guy with five carts plus a window, door, and drywall....oh, and a few other odds and ends; another customer with drywall and two more carts.  I didn't get the closing duties even STARTED until after I locked the doors at 9:15!

Saw the customer from Mon, who'd lost a bag.  Turned out he'd grabbed the wrong bag from his truck!  I knew I didn't have 'em!

Also had two customers 'clean out' my drawer....A handed me $200 for $104 total, and cleaned me out of everything.  B was a combination of two customers, who by the 2nd one, I was counting the ones for $12 in change.

Accidentally sprayed Aggie with the glass cleaner while she was closing out Reg #2.....I said, "thought you needed a shower!"

Outfit:  Brown tee, dark capris

Day 218:  My Daughter turns 26 and Payday!!
Had insomnia last night and didn't get to sleep until after 5.  Woke up at 10, paid my bills, and went to Walmart to get S's present and to pay for my banner at Office Max.  Something was wrong with the final stage of the order, and since I'd woken up to the wonderful news HFK was cancelled, told Jerod I had plenty of time, so told him I'd be back in on Wed.  By the time I left W/M, it was noon, so called work and told them I'd be late.  Made it in by 1.

Things were fairly steady, and I'd saved my pop count sheet from yesterday, so used it as a guide.  K left at 3, so I took a quick pit stop before she left.  Went to lunch at 5, after being reminded to 'scan everything' (*eye roll*), and took myself to McD's.  After lunch, it was a little slower, and managed to get all my closing duties accomplished before close.

Outfit:  Blue patriotic tee, patterned capri leggings.

Day 219:  Happy 4th of July!
Today was fairly low-key.  Was steady but not slammed, and it was Jill's b-day.  She left at 3 and they sent me to lunch at the same time, so I splurged and went to McAllister's.  From 4- close, it was the same; was able to get all my closing duties finished by 7:30.  Loader Logan went MIA; had to call LG for a forklift driver so we could get the FL inside.  At 7:15, a woman hobbled in; I told her to sit down and I'd call for the motorized cart.  She thought she'd broken her foot, but needed a door before going to the hospital.  By 8, she still hadn't appeared; HC C closed out my register; I took the trash down, then spotted her making her way to me.  She paid; Sara and Gracie helped her load her door.  EVERYONE was rolling their eyes at this CFH who probably should have gone to the hospital instead of shopping for a new door!

Outfit:  White flag tee, patterned capri leggings.

Day 220:  Past The Halfway Point!  I Can Do This....
Couldn't sleep, so called in....my only 2nd time to miss a scheduled work day.

No comments: