Monday, November 16, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #67

 Day 295:

I came down with bronchitis last week; all I did Thurs-Sun was lay on the couch and drink soup!  My voice was sliding into the bass range, so when I showed up for work, I wasn't sure if they'd let me stay, but they did.  Even though I was appalled at the sound of my voice the one and only time I had to page someone!  YIKES!

Still, I was able to do my job, even though I nearly made a major boo-boo in front of Mgr T....customer brought 5 of the poly-pro boards, and I pulled out my book.

"Are you seriously going to use a cheat code in front of me?"

"At least I'm honest?"  I grinned and put it away.  She found the item #; I'd found the same on earlier.

Things calmed down around 6, and Mel brought me the soda.  I filled it, then spent an hour sweeping the floor in between customers.  Matt relieved me at 7:15, and when I returned, I pulled the trash and began cleaning.

Aggie cleaned me out on the dot of 9, and we all clocked out fifteen minutes later.

Scott brought in a couple of carts and greeted me, then spun around when I answered him.

"You sound horrible!"

"It's my kids' favorite time of the year:  When Mom loses her voice."

He laughed!

Outfit:  White/gold stripe tee; faded jeggings; Monet mask


Day 296:

Feeling somewhat better; I was upset when my Washington group didn't meet on Tues.  But went in tonight; got all 5 questions correct on the Lowes U, and was moderately steady until 6:30.  Matt had already done the pop count, and an hour later, one of the girls came down and stocked it:)  We were kinda dead from 6:30-7:15, when Brenda relieved me for my break.  I only needed two o/r; Jess did one and Aggie the other, when two guys brought down siding that was damaged.  I rang them up, then took my break.

Afterward, had maybe 3 customers.  Did my closing duties and deep cleaned everything....floor, plexiglass, and counters.  Five minutes before closing, Customer brought down two carts worth of stuff, and it took twenty minutes to ring everything up.  Brenden came down to fix some of the prices, then he paid and left.  

Outfit:  Black/gray tee, black vest, faded jeggings, SW mask


Day 297:

Tonight went well:)  Matt was with me until 8, which meant he could take care of customers while I swept the entire area and did the soda count.  He took his break 1st, and when he returned, Hannah was there to collect the soda count.  We were fairly dead from 5:45-7, so I called HC A and asked if she wanted me to go to break.  Answer, yes, so I took mine until 7:20.  Came back; pulled trash and checked out one of my favorite Hispanic customers.....first they had a wall mount at 50% off; the sticker read $23.98, but rang up $19.19.  Called A, and asked if I was to take another 50% off that; she said yes, so they got it for under $10!  He paid the $450, then realized he had the hat on his head.  Paid the $6 for it, then came back in and asked about the damaged OSB and drywall outside.  Marked the OSB down to $14, and the drywall down to $7, so he paid another $30 and they left.  Matt was laughing at all the antics!

M left at 8, and I began sanitizing everything.  Only had a handful of customers, and we closed up on time.  Mgr T cleaned me out; I waited for Cam to return with the hopper before closing the door and heading to the break room.

Outfit:  Gray tee with leopard print stripe; faded jeggings; HP mask.


Day 298: Long Day!

Went to Lafayette to be with Mom on the 1st anniversary of Dad's passing, and we had an enjoyable hour together.  Didn't get over to the Medical supply place in time to order her chair, then discovered they weren't open on Sat!  Called in for Sat, and while I waited for the family to arrive, began dragging everything out of the storage unit and putting it into piles.  Took 4 trips and 3 hours to move everything into the larger unit.  Sara and Co decided to spend the night, so went to Olive Garden, then spent rest of the evening in the pool.  Alex stayed with me so S and P could have some 'adult' time.  Got up at 6 today and drove to Vincennes.  

Jill and I worked together until she left at 6.  She'd found this baby goat stuffed animal that danced and sang, and we played with it all afternoon, trying to get someone to buy it.  No one did, but I shot some video of it.  Day went fairly well.  Ate lunch at McAllister's from 3:30-4:30, and when I returned, had to have 2 overrides ('overdraft', I called the 2nd one, lol!).  Had zero customers from 6:30-7:59, then just as I was locking the doors, a gentleman approached and said he only needed an air filter.  I waved him in, and finished checking him out at 8:05.  Mel came down to clean me out and we all left around 8:15.  My back was bothering me, so I sat on one of the stools for 30 mins before sanitizing everything down.

Outfit:  White IN sweatshirt, red plaid leggings, Monet mask.

No comments: