Monday, May 10, 2021

Life in Lumber, Y3, W6

 Day 26:

Arrived; signed Kim's card (her mom passed over the weekend), took care of a few customers, and began prelim duties.  After lunch, I arrived to find chaos.  Helped Sami with a customer, then had issue after issue....one customer needed an approval code; another had discounted paint; a third had discounted lumber.  Scanner threw a fit at 8:30, so was hand-keying and using Charlie's register until close.  Locked the doors, returned items to electrical, paint, tools, and hardware, and put up my vest.  Clocked out at 9:25.

Still cannot find anyone to either switch Saturdays with me or cover my Friday.  Ugh....

On a good note, Justin's back!!!

Outfit:  Brown 3/4'' blouse, capris, Monet mask.


Day 27: $11,148 in sales

Had a long day; began at 8am with PT on my arm, followed by mammogram at 9 and ultrasound at 9:30.  Blood draw (fasting) at 10.  Went to work at 3, and things were steady, but still managed to get pop count and prelim duties accomplished.  Discovered Corporate coming in tomorrow, so promised Mgr T I'd pretty the place up.

Got everything swept by the time I went to lunch, and when I returned, was dismayed to learn Alexa had already pulled the trash, and the 'crazies' were coming in:  People who, instead of ordering off internet, came in with their large orders and expected us to pull it ASAP.  Also had a woman come in with another lumber co's estimate and wanted us to print her out our version.  When told it would take an hour, she huffed, "I drove 45 minutes on someone's assurances that someone would be able to do it."  She then marched out of the store and said she'd do it online.  Mgr T witnessed it and murmured, "And that's why no one wants to work in Lumber."

Things calmed down around 8 and was able to sanitize the counters and registers.  Had 3 customers at closing, then locked the doors, took my trash down, and returned items to Plumbing, Lighting, Tools, and Paint.

Sandy asked if I'd be willing to work a 6-3 if she worked my Sat.....we'll see if it gets approved!  At this rate, I'm ready to just call in both days......also got my AP4Me and LU done.  Still have training to do on aisle blockers and spotters....ugh.

Outfit:  Blue Vancouver tee, dark jeggings, Monet mask


Day 28:  "What Are YOU Doing Here This Early?" $18,921 in sales

Mgr T asked if I'd come in at noon, so I did, and for 3 hours, most of my regulars uttered the above phrase!  D and S came in and bought her a Little Giant ladder, and went to break at 2:35.  Came back and began my normal shift duties, but didn't get the pop count finished until nearly 4, due to being so busy.  The scanner on #1 threw a fit; I switched to #2 for an hour, until I ran out of $$, then stayed on #1.  Matt relieved me at 5:15 for lunch; I went to Subway.  When I returned, Matt was on #2, so I stayed there the rest of the night.  Got my closing duties finished by 8:45, and had 2 customers at 9:  One family with 2 orders and one guy who wanted 45 concrete blocks.  I teased him about that 9pm closing time being Indiana time, not Illinois!  Returned items to Electrical, Tools, and Paint, then clocked out at 9:30.

 Mom solved my Friday problem; she decided to change her appt.  Now all I have to do is find someone for Sat or just call in.

Saw Aliscia!!!!

Outfit:  Blue waffle shirt, dark jeggings, tools mask.


Day 29: $9436 in sales

I love my job.  I really do.  But lately......you know it's bad when you start thinking of where you could possibly work elsewhere, and I don't like thinking that way.  It just seems to be a push to get me to time out on call ins, so they can fire me.  I'm having trouble finding someone to take my shift on Sat, and now they've scheduled me for race day.  Went back and counted; that would make 3-4 call ins in 2 months. All over a stupid scheduling issue.

Anyway, arrived and took over; things were slower today, and got all my prelim duties finished by 5.  Was sent to lunch at 5:30, and when I returned, swept the entire area, plus mucked out under all mats, even under #2 and 3.  Workers came and put new decals on the windows.  Took my time with the closing duties, and Aleaah came down to fill the soda coolers.  I had to step away and just let her do it, because she was irritating me.  Sanitized all counters and registers, and locked the doors at 9.  Gavan took the trash down

JJ came in; her new g/f's dad was having a low blood sugar issue, so I handed him a Snickers and told him to sit down.  Just realized I'd forgotten to pay for it....oops....I'll do that tomorrow.

Outfit:  Red v-neck shirt, dark jeggings, black mask


Day 30: $13,353 in sales

Went in; no sign of Sandy.  So guess I'll have to call in tomorrow....sigh....think it'll be my 3rd one in two months.  Can't be helped.

Shift began slow; did pop count, my LU, and even the rest of my damn spotter/aisle blocker training.  But at 5, things got busy and stayed that way.  Went to lunch at 6, and when I returned, the scanner on #1 decided to throw a fit, right in the middle of $2K order.  Saved it and hopped over to #2, to finish ringing everything up.  Alexa returned and tried to hop on #1....then ended up rebooting the scanner.  She finally got it to work again, just as I finished with my customer. 

Hopped back over to #1, then at 8, it went down again, so stayed on 2 for the rest of the night. Managed to sanitize the counters and registers, and do a brief sweep, then after Gavin took out the trash, put up my vest and clocked out at 9:20.

Outfit:  Blue baseball tee, dark jeggings, black mask


Day 31 (Sun)  $18747 in sales

Arrived; went to lumber to give Jill her break.  Things were steady until 3; J took her break at 2, after I took a quick pit stop.  I went to lunch at 3, and when I returned, Chelsea sent me to LG to give Karen her break.  After 90 mins, I called C and learned K was now in Lumber, so J could go home.  I stayed in LG until 7:30, then was sent down to Lumber until close.  Helped do pop count, then we all clocked out around 8:30.

Had a couple of screw-ups:  A)  Customer had 3 sheets of plywood, and they pointed out the damage on 2 of them.  So I rang up 3, discounted all down to $60, and sent them on their merry way.  A few mins later, the man returns and says only one was 1/4"; the others were 3/4"  I took 'em down to see what the item #s were, and discovered the 3/4" was $73, as opposed to $68.  Brought this to their attention and gave them the choice of returning it and being charged more, or leaving it as is and chalking it up to cashier error.  They chose the latter, and I joked, Feliz Navidad in May!  Both laughed.

B)  When I was in LG, a woman had four irises.  The 1st one rang up $16, and the other 3 were $9.  She told me they were all the same, so cancelled the $16 and hit the other ones for $9.

Outfit:  Gray IU sweatshirt, black lace tee, red check leggings, Monet mask. Only wore the sweatshirt for 10 mins.  I've got 3 days off, unless they call me in:)

No comments: