Thursday, May 5, 2022

Observations 2021

Sept 2021:

 I've spent the past 6 weeks spending 5/6 weekends at an event.  So far, the reviews are mixed.

InConJuncti6 on:  Sold 8, two less than 2019

-Attendance was down, due to people not sure about being out in public just yet.

-I'd taken my daughter and granddaughter with me, so spent too much $$.

-Went to dinner with friends the 1st night; very chummy, supportive, and happy to see each other.


Imaginarium:  Sold 6, two more than 2019

-Well attended; I spent more time at my table this year instead of doing too many panels (I did 2 Fri and 2 Sat) or taking too many pictures.

-This was my 5th?? time at this con; I previously only sold one or two books at this event.  So to sell 4 in 2019 and 6 this time tells me my presence is being recognized.

-Went to dinner with friends Fri and enjoyed everyone's company, then attended a room party and fatigue did me in.  Sat, went to the banquet with friends and even though I didn't win, everyone was supportive.


Heroes For Kids:  Sold 6 and donated one.  No sales in 2019.

-Well attended; people seemed happy to be out again.  I spent more time at my table and was encouraged when I sold a book to my 1st customer:)

-Went to dinner Fri after setting up; got to meet new people and the atmosphere was friendly.  Saturday night, met up for dinner and things were good.


Superman Celebration:  Sold 19!

-Very well attended, even though it rained at first.  I stuck to my table the 1st day and sold 4, then ventured out the 2nd day for lunch and to see the celebrities; sold 9.  3rd day, sold 6!

-Dinner Friday was joyeous, as was Saturday night.


Royal Readers:  Sold 5, same as 2019.

-Was told there were more VIPs than vendors, but it didn't seem like it.

-Got pissed off when my 1st customer 1st griped b/c I wasn't wearing my mask 'correctly' (I was hot from setting up, so I'd pulled it beneath my nose).  She revealed herself as a cancer patient; I immediately pulled it up and tried to talk to her, but she claimed she couldn't hear me (she never did move any closer) and left.  Okay....1) you're not gonna be infected THAT SOON if I pull my damn shield up and 2) Why the hell couldn't she move closer after I did??

-My lunch apparently disagreed with me, and had to spend a considerable amount of time in the bathroom.

-I helped take three car loads of stuff over to the mall, and after returning to the hotel, I joined the rest of the group in the bar.  1) No one offered to move so I could sit.  I finally sat down and asked about service, then went up to the bar.  Upon returning with my glass of wine, somebody finally moved over.  2) The bartender apparently misunderstood my order, for my pizza arrived in a box, and was smooshed by the time we got the box folded so it would fit at the table.  3) Conversation flowed around me; I only spoke up a few times.  Felt like an outsider.

-After packing everything up, I went back to the mall to go to the Pepper Palace, M/M store, and for dinner.  Decided to go to Wahlburgers....then discovered several authors had already eaten there and were on their way out!  Why was I not invited?  Oh yeah....I'm an outsider.

-There just didn't seem to be the foot traffic from 2019.....though I will admit, it was nice to not have people come up *just* to autograph a poster!


N ow I'm off to the State Fair, where in 2019, I sold 18 books in 2 days.  I'll be there 4 full and 2 half days this year; hoping to match or even double that number.

Aug 11-13:  Sold 11 and donated one

-1st half day, sold 2. Paid $6 for pizza slice for dinner

-1st full day, sold 5. Paid $6 for 1/2 lb Angus burger and $6 for Chocolate Vodka Red Velvet Bundt cake

-2nd full day, sold 4 and donated one. Paid $6 for Elephant ear for b'fast, then $14 for Pizza on a Stick, then another $14 for 2 deep-fried cookie dough/red velvet oreos and 2 single cookie dough.  Also paid $10 for ride on the 'Spirit Wheel'.

18-20: Sold 18 and donated one

-2nd half day, sold 4. Splurged on a lamburger for $14 and spent $12 on deep-fried cookie dough/red velvet oreo combo with 2 extra CD.  Also 'did' the fair during the morning, and enjoyed seeing everything and taking pictures.  Spent $3 on a bottle of water.

-3rd full day, sold 8 and donated one (copy of CG to my cousin Lynn).  Paid for my four $3 ride tickets, $6 for a red velvet funnel cake, and $12 for another deep-fried red velvet oreo/cookie dough combo with two extra CD.  Rode the High Swings (YOLO), the ferris wheel, and the double-decker merry-go-round twice (downstairs on an ostrich, upstairs on a white tiger).  Ate a late dinner at Applebee's for $16

-4th full day, sold 6.  Since the hubby put $$ into my account, bought apple butter, pumpkin butter, and gooseberry preserves, plus another t-shirt and a sweatshirt, honey, fudge, and the cake swirls. Spent $6 on an Angus burger, then another $12 on more red velvet oreos/cookie dough combo with 2 more CD.  Vendor threw in two more CD for 'customer loyalty'.

TOTAL EARNED:  $229, which paid for the 1st 2.5 days ($225)

The first three days, I was on the left side of the booth, and couldn't see behind me.  Plus, N kept calling me 'Makenzie'.  The 2nd three days, I was on the right side, and she clued into the 'Kenzie', and got the genres correct, but she drove me mildly crazy with her views on the mattress people ("Can you believe people are LAYING on them?  And they don't SANITIZE them after!"), and some of the customers who tried to use us as a library. Not to mention her pro-vax stance.  I'll admit; I went over to talk to the vax people and considered getting it....but then saw a hashtag on FB with the horror stories and reconsidered.

Over all, I enjoyed the fair.  I loved the fact I dragged my butt out of bed early enough to go 'do' it on the 18th, and I loved the fact I sold out of 5 titles.


SI Comic Con:  Sold 7 and swapped one

-Very well organized and attended!  I only ventured away from my table twice; once to find BKM and Amy, and the 2nd to get Bonus Child's birthday present:  Silver Ranger's picture and autograph.

-Afterward, we all went to dinner at the Peking Buffet, and took a group pic afterward.  Felt very included in everything:)


Non-Con 6:  Sept 25-26:  Sold 1

I'll admit it; I was sleep-deprived the 1st day and kept falling asleep.  I did get 2 pages written, and handed out a few cards.  N sold 5 to one customer.  

-Went to dinner at the China King Buffet and enjoyed good conversation and friendship, as well as good food!

Day #2, I was irritated to discover we'd showed up an hour early.  I could have slept in; we could have had b-fast at Cracker Barrel; I could have kept listening to the flashback program of 1978!  Then the drive home was hell....a stopped train, then cone zones/stop-n-go traffic on every damn highway.


First City Music Festival, Oct 1-3: 

Rain threatened, but I did well, selling at least 10 books.  Went to dinner with my son and his BFF, who promptly told K, "We need to find a pitch.  Your mom is AWESOME at bringing people over!"

Awww....thanks D!

Indy Comic Con, Oct 15-17:

I thoroughly enjoyed people-watching, and sold 18 books over the entire weekend, and even one while I was off at a photo opp!  What made my weekend though, wasn't meeting Chandler Riggs (Carl from Walking Dead) or The Evil Queen from Once Upon A Time (blanking on her name at the moment!), but meeting Armin Shimmerman at the Jumpmaster Press booth, who played Quark in DS9!!  Got a pic with him; bought his book, and got to talk to him.  He was amazing!

CCC, Oct 30th:

A cold day, but sold some books and had fun.  Bought a copy of Little Black Sambo!

ICGAHS, Nov 10-14:  

Two authors backed out, due to catching CV, or being afraid, so when the Friday and Sat morning slots were offered, I grabbed 'em, and it paid off.  Think I sold 45 books??  Paid for my booth and gas....and went home with presents for everyone, including 5 bottles of wine.  Did a taste-test comparison between Carousel's Tiger Red, French Lick's Red, and Buck Creek's red....and Tiger won!

Unfortutately, landed in the hospital the following Monday with pancreatitis, and had to have my gall bladder evicted from my body.

No comments: