Monday, March 11, 2024

Life In Lumber: Y6, W3

 Day 9:  Cool; mid 50s

Arrived and took over for Alice, who was in for Kem. Was busy for 2 hours, then did the prelim duties. One customer had two carts and argued with me over how many deck boards he had; I finally let it go and finished ringing him up. Swept the place thoroughly; HC Shel R sent me to lunch at 6:20. Returned and pulled trash, did my LU and AP4Me, mucked the mats, and sanitized the registers and coffee bar. Keith came in and bought me a candy bar. Locked the doors at 10 while Jace brought in the concrete and took the trash to the hopper. Closed the garage door, and after HC Kay cleaned me out, returned items to Hardware, Seasonal, and Shop Vacs. Bought D a KIND bar, myself a Bueno, three pairs of Eclipse glasses, and paid for the Dasani I swiped last week.

Outfit:  Bless This Mess sweatshirt, new dark jeggings, small blue/white buttons


Day 10: Mid-60s

Arrived and took over for Alice on #2; Pro Kath was ringing up a customer whose card wouldn't work. By the time I was finished with my line, the customer was MIA; Kath had left; the cart full of bagged items was still there.  I just left it alone and hopped back over to #1. Ran out of $1s around 5:30, but didtn't get them until after 8pm. Did my LU and the prelim duties, then Dawson sent me to break at 6:40. Returned and began sweeping, plus mucked the mats. Pulled trash around 8:30 and sanitized the registers, counters, and coffee bar. Tuned in to 'Between The Brians' for a bit. Locked the doors at 10 and after HC Kay cleaned me out, returned items to Fashion Bath, Hardware, and ISLG. Clocked out at 10:30.

Talked the hubby into taking me to Denny's!

Outfit:  B/gray leopard stripe, new dark jeggings, gold 'Celtic Knot'.

Tomorrow and Thurs:  GSH Vendor Fair!


Day 11: Mid-50s

Shift began on a rocky note. HC Hannah said #1 was acting up, so I showed her how to reboot the system. Went to ring up Customer #1 and was shocked to find the 7/16 OSB had shot up $2 more! Tried to lower it, and couldn't get the o/r to cancel. So hopped back over to #1 and rang 'em up again....and could only take 50% plus the change off w/o an o/r. Then had a customer with a bad leg come in; I arranged for ASM Charlie to get his boards while he went up front for a scooter and some hardware and stain.  He couldn't thank me enough! Next customer was a sour puss.  

An hour later, I needed an o/r on paint, and the line began to back up. Hopped over to Pro Jer's register to handle the CC transactions, then one needed to pay cash, so hopped over to #2 as I saw ASM Charlie arrive.  I ended up taking care of 3 customers; C took care of 2 more.  He logged off; I went back to #1. Did the prelim duties and my LU, then discovered my broom and dustpan were MIA. Fronted the soda, then at 8:15 when Amy arrived, we had another rush.  Took my break at 8:45, plus emptied the coffee and retrieved a roll of the large trash bags. Returned and pulled trash, found my broom and dustpan, and began sweeping. Locked the doors at 10, and after HC Shelby cleaned me out, took the trash to the hopper and returned items to Paint, Hardware, and Flooring. Put up my vest and clocked out at 10:35.

Outfit:  Red turtleneck, faded jeggings, gold 'knots'.


Day 12:  Rare Sat Mid 60s

First of all, let me say I got up waaaaay too early (8am), and didn't take a nap. Arrived and joined Austin, then my earring fell out of my ear. I'd lost the back, so out them in my pocket. Even swept the general area; no luck. Rang up Customer #1, no problem. Customer #2, the printer malfunctioned, and I was forced to jump to #2.  Then a customer arrived with $15 paint, which needed an o/r. I activated #3 to help a customer while HC Shelby finished up with the customer on #1.  Got snippy with Jared when he kept moving the carts.  I'd deliberately shoved them over so I could get in and out of #2 without tripping or hitting my butt on a cart. Was so darn busy that 8pm arrived before it slowed down. Did the prelim duties and fronted the soda, and swept. Realized HC Shel had forgotten my break by 9, so I asked Brighton to cover me while I took a pit stop and cleaned out the coffee dispenser (Loader E had called in). Returned and pulled trash; discovered HC Shelby had FIXED the printer issue on #1, so was happy to be back on it for the final hour, even though I only had two customers. Got the place swept; the registers, counters, and coffee bar sanitized, and wiped down the soda cooler. Locked the doors at 9:55, and after HC Shel cleaned me out and Brighton brought in the concrete, I closed the garage doors and took the trash to the hopper.  Returned items to Hardware and put up my vest. Clocked out at 10:35.

Royally got ASM SCH:  One of the night shift workers asked him if he'd ever told anyone he used to be a woman in Mississippi.  While we were laughing, I turned around and asked, "More specifically, does your WIFE know?" The others laughed and told me 'good one!"  Scott replied, "Don't encourage them!"  

Outfit:  Blue Whitehorse sweatshirt, faded jeggings, yellow posts.


Day 13:  Rare Sun Mid-40s

Arrived and found Marilyn ready to head home, ha ha....apparently it had been a zoo until 4. I hopped on #2 and rang up a few customers, and brought in carts, and checked the trash. Put the larger items that were behind the counter on a cart and pushed them into the Lumber aisle, so I could reach the trash can. M left at 5; I was fairly steady for an hour.  Had one weird thing happen:  Lady paid me in $20s; I gave her $18 back:  A $10, a $5, and three $1s. She walks out the door, turns around, and says I didn't give her a $10.  I was positive I had, but I called down to see if they wanted to audit my drawer, check the cameras, or what.  They ended up checking the cameras, while I rang up several more customers, and in the end, the camera clearly showed I'd given her a $10 bill. Where it went after that, who knows....I looked under the tool cart, behind the water....nada.  She went on her merry way, and things slowed down. Did the prelim duties and fronted the soda...then did the soda count.  Did my LU. At 8, locked the doors and checked out my final customer, then had to stop another from coming in. HC Kay cleaned me out; Loader Charlie brought in the concrete; Jace took my tiny amount of trash to the hopper. I put away the soda and put up my vest.  Clocked out at 8:35.

Outfit:  Pug Crawlin' St. P's Day tee, l/s black tee, faded jeggings, sparkly shamrocks.



No comments: