Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #55

 Day 244: 1st Day Back After Vacation!

Shift went fairly well!  Remembered how to clock in; gave MK and Marci their bag of goodies, and put Mel's in her locker.  Jill's bag went in my locker; she said she'd get it before she left, but didn't.  Oh well, there's always tomorrow.  Discovered the 12212 OSB was no longer at the end of Aisle 19, and the last shelving unit of Tools had been removed.   A couple of new people have been hired.

1st half of shift went well; we weren't too awful busy, and was able to show Jill, my loaders, and a few choice customers my vacation pics that were still on my phone.  Gave Kim the OK Bison keychain, and Gracie the NM one.  Tasha was thrilled with her dangly TX one, and gave HC C the dangly AZ one.

Went to lunch at 5 when Gracie relieved me (McAllister's), then was able to get my closing duties finished by 8:30.  Closed down lumber at 9:05, and took back my returns.  Clocked out at 9:20, and told T I was going to have to cut my hours back starting next week, due to home schooling the Teen.  She said no problem, and to let her know when to start....I told her it would depend a lot on how this week went, and if he was motivated to do it on his own.

Had one irate customer who just left his items on my counter when I informed him the charge card was at a zero balance; he would have to reload it.  Pushed everything around the corner, thinking maybe he'd return, but he didn't.  Jacob was less than thrilled to learn he'd have to put it all back.

Outfit:  Blue Vegas tee, new capris, HP mask

Day 245:

The first seven hours of my shift were fairly routine.  Nice and steady.  We were about to close when Mel alerted me to a sketchy couple meandering their way through the store, and sure enough, they showed up at my lane.  I scanned EVERYTHING thoroughly, then noticed a bar code taped over a few items ringing up $2.  I pried them off, then double-checked everything.  Total came to $140; they looked at each other and started taking items off...even returning the Kobalt drill bits to Tools without ringing them up.  Total came to $90; she went to go get her $$.  Ten minutes later, she drove up and handed me a $100 bill, and took her change, then asked for a price check on something garden-related.  It was $16, so she declined, and they left.

I showed Mgr T (who'd stayed down there the entire time they were there) what I'd found on 5 of the items; she did a RWD report, and I gotta an 'atta-girl' from Desiree, Chris, and T.

Had eaten lunch at McAllister's again, and Kyle came in for a propane exchange, and used my discount card. Also learned we're getting a 'winning together' bonus on the 1st Sept check:)

Outfit:  Indian Motor Las Vegas tee, new capris, blue cloth mask.

Day 246:  Payday!

Arrived and discovered several people had heard about the previous night's incident.  Strange to be greeted with 'Good job last night'!  First several hours were routine; then Hurricane Laura showed up at 3 and poured rain four times.  Fortunately, it was dry and sunny when I went to lunch (McAllister's)!

Met my new loader, Austin, a transfer from E'ville, and observed him chewing and spitting in a Dr. P bottle (fortunately, it was only once, and we were NOT busy), and then listening to his phone (HS football game) as he swept the floor and brought in carts.  Again, we weren't busy, so didn't say anything to him.

Helped Casey in Millwork navigate the cash register twice; once for a door he'd sold and the other was on Reg #2.....the paint can threw him off, and he had to ring everything up again.  Told him it was a Rite of Passage, ha ha!

Clocked out on time tonight:)

Outfit:  Blue 'baseball' tee, new capris, blue cloth mask

No comments: