Monday, August 31, 2020

Life In Lumber: Week #56

 Day 247: Hours cut, 4-close

Messaged Tasha over the weekend about cutting my hours, and she said she took care of it.  Mel messaged me around 1, asking if I'd called in.  I said no, and explained.  Went in at 4, gave Aggie her keychain, and went to Lumber.  Was a fairly quiet shift; only needed 2 overrides.  Matthew sent me to lunch at 6:30, and had all my closing duties finished by 8:30.

Outfit:  Bon Jovi tee, new capris, blue mask.

Day 248:

Had to take the spouse to E'ville today for urology appt.  X-ray shows the 6mm kidney stone is moving along the kidney; dr very nicely agreed to 'blast' it out of there on Friday, due to D's not eating, and slight bit of pain.

Went to work; chatted with Marci for 5 mins before she was sent to LG.  Day was nice and steady; was able to get all my closing duties accomplished, and didn't need any overrides.  The only 'gripe' of the night was Kyle and Austin were playing 'pass the customer' with one lady, who was getting irritated when K chose to help Mr. Lewis instead, and 'if A doesn't come, I'll help her after I help him.'  A didn't return for nearly 15 minutes; he claimed he was in the bathroom.

But overall, good shift.

Outfit:  Gold tee, dark capris, blue mask

Day 249:

Received a phone call around 2 from the urologist, stating D's surgery was being moved from Friday at 7am at the outpatient clinic to 3:30pm at the main hospital.  So when I went in, I told HC Mel and C, and they passed it along to Mgr T.

Shift was slightly rocky.  Had two overrides; ran out of quarters; and had a customer complain "This place sucks.  You'll (another customer buying 50lb concrete bags) probably have to load them yourself."

I somehow managed to keep a smile on my face.  "I'm sorry, sir.  We're short-handed in Lumber at the moment." (Jacob had gone home sick or called in; I head two different stories)

He pointed to K, on the phone.  "There's a kid just sitting there." 

"He's trying to find a spotter for the forklift.  He's not allowed to use it without one during store hours."

That shut him up, somewhat.

Did my closing duties after lunch, and we clocked out around 9:15.

Learned that we can no longer wear masks with any sort of pattern, or 'controversial' tees, since an associate was shot and killed in Indpls for wearing a tee with a blue line.  Geez.....

As we were walking out, I checked the flow chart, and T said she'd been too busy to find a replacement for me tomorrow, so I needed to call in.

I'm not that happy....to date, I called in (half day, at least!) in June for an asthma attack; once in July for exhaustion; and once in August, since we weren't back yet.  Can't remember if there was another one; I'll have to check.  I'm not comfortable racking up call ins, but as Scott told me last month, they like me, so maybe I'm safe?????  (I know; famous last words....)

Outfit:  Purdue tee, dark capris, blue mask

No comments: