Thursday, October 28, 2021

Teen Dream Pt 2

 


I know that's a horrible picture, but it was taken in haste, as I didn't want to lose the opportunity for a picture with him.

Who is it, you ask?

Shaun Cassidy. My former 12 y/o self was very happy last night!

Let's back up a bit.  You'll recall I attended his concert back on Sept 5th, and since the meet-n-greet had been cancelled, we were promised a one-on-one Zoom meeting later that month. Unfortunately, after an hour's wait, a message popped up, saying a rainstorm had knocked out his internet, and my meeting would be postponed.

Was I upset?  A little, but you can't blame Mother Nature.  I waited....and waited....and waited.

Finally earlier this week, I received an email saying my meeting would take place on Wed, and my time would be finalized soon.  I thanked her, and mentioned later in the evening would work better, since I'm usually home between 9:30-9:45.  I told my supervisor I would need off ASAP on Wed.

Yesterday morning, the final email arrived with the link, and my time would be around 10pm.  I was thrilled; went into work and told my supervisor not to worry about getting me out early; 9:30 was fine.  And I left on time.

Went home, rebrushed my hair, set up my card table in the bedroom (only place for absolute privacy, lol!), and set up my laptop. Pinned both SC buttons to my shirt. Grabbed my water bottle, kleenex, phone, and my cheat sheet of questions I wanted to ask, and at 9:57, logged in.

Tested my mic and lighting, and joined the meeting.  And waited....and waited.

Texted a friend; surfed FB; rewatched Shaun's That's Rock-n-Roll video.  Drank water, sucked on a cough drop.  The weather has changed in Indiana; I'm going through the whole sinus mess, and I was praying I wasn't going to cough and hack my way through our entire encounter!

Suddenly, my screen changed, and a new screen popped up, obscuring his face.  I could hear him calling my name as I frantically tried to get the other screen off, all the while thinking, OMG...HE KNOWS MY NAME!!!!

But I composed myself and joyfully greeted him!  We talked about how a Zoom meeting was better than the normal M-n-G, since there's no time to really chat.  I told him about my Comic Con experience with Chandler Riggs and Lana Parillo, and revealed my author status.  He asked where I was from, and yes, I told him about my missed opportunity in 1978, and that I really enjoyed his City Winery show.  He asked if I'd ever been to Nashville before, and I told him about the Weekend With The Authors, and how this year, I'd finally be a signing author..

THEN, I switched the focus back to him by asking if I could pick his brain, and he said yes.  I asked about what it's like to write episodes on New Amsterdam, and how to keep the characters' continuity.  He said they collaborate, and everyone works on the actual episode, and the fact this group of writers is the BEST he's ever worked with.

Traci's voice cut in, saying it was time to wrap it up; I picked up my phone and asked if I could take a quick selfie; he said sure, then noticed my button on my shirt, and mentioned how the Shaun Cassidy Fan Convention had done so much good for his charities, and how he was touched that I was a part of it.  I confess to having rather tunnel vision at this point, and only replied 'Yup!', as I was trying to be fast, and get both of us in the shot!

I then asked one more question:  Do back up singers receive Grammy Awards, if they're backing up a solo artist?  

"That's a really good question!  I'm not sure, but I believe if they're part of a band, such as The Rolling Stones, then yes.  But a solo artist?  Probably not.  But anyone can get a ticket to the Grammy's; not just the nominees."

I thanked him profusely for his time, and said I hoped to see him and the entire band in 2022, and when he said goodbye, the link severed.

I laid back on my bed and sighed....I had just had a professional chat with my Teen Idol from nearly 43 years ago!!! Then smacked myself; I'd forgotten to ask if I could be his back up singer!!  I also forgot to tell him I couldn't be at the November event, as I was already booked, but was semi-seriously thinking about getting someone to man my table while I attended HIS show.  Yes, the things you wish you said....darn time limit.....

Maybe next year, I'll get a better picture....

My former 12 y/o self is still very happy today!

No comments: