Monday, February 20, 2023

Life In Lumber: Y4, W52

 Day 216:  $7672

We were freaking busy tonight!  Weather was warm; nearly 70, and once I took over for B, I barely had time to do anything the first hour, except ring up customers. Drywall aisle was nearly empty; B said Pro K had sold a lot of it. Truck is expected tomorrow, and another one on Friday.

Around 6:30, I was able to front the soda, and started sweeping. Kel sent me to break at 7, and when I returned, she was still dealing with a customer, so I consolidated the trash, then pulled it. Around 8, I started mucking out the mats, and did my LU and AP4Me, finishing it after locking the doors at 9. Brought in the rest of the carts, added what snacks I could to the rack, and took my trash to Receiving. Returned items to Electrical, Paint, and ISLG. Clocked out at 9:30.

ASM K left at 3:)

Outfit:  Palm tree sweatshirt, new dark jeggings, sapphire and silver hoops


Day 217:  $4680

Had a good shift!  Went in slightly early to buy trash bags, then took over for B. Did the prelim duties, and had the floor swept by 7, plus all the mats, and did my LU. Jax sent me to break at 7:30, and when I got back, I pulled the trash, filled the bags, and pulled the outside trash.

My sense of humor reared its head:  I was rounding the counter, for I saw a customer approaching.

Him:  "Don't run away from me..."

"I'm just getting into position..."

"What?"

"I'm assuming the position."

At this point, it hit me what I'd said, and thankfully, the older gentleman took it in stride! 

"I'd like to ask you out for a cup of coffee, but I'm guessing your husband wouldn't like it very much."

"No, he would not. But thank you anyway."

Something else was said as I was totalling him out, and I joked, "We just went there.  No."

"You're right; we did," We both laughed.

It just SLIPPED OUT!

At close, after I'd dusted off the Pepsi cooler, and HC K was cleaning me out, I locked the doors, then took the trash to Receiving, then put up my vest.  K asked me to take the front end's trash down, and return a shelf to Aisle 29, so I did, and ended up collapsing 20 or so tiny battery boxes.  As I was on the final one, Mike popped his head out if his office and told me I didn't have to break all of them down.

"NOW you tell me!"

Clocked out at 9:30. ASM K left at 6:)

Outfit:  Red snowflake sweater, new darker jeggings, LJs (it was only 50 degrees!), sapphire and silver hoops.


Day 218:  $3832

Arrived and immediately helped B with his line. He took his final break, then left.  The crowd thinned; ASM S came down and asked if I had a duster, to dust the sunglasses and Gatarade boxes.  I didn't, so he brought one down, and I dusted everything I could, including the ice machine.

Pro S didn't realize I was married.  "But you don't wear a ring."

"I outgrew it 19 years ago, with Child #3."

Wasn't that busy, so after I printed my pay stub and March schedule, fronted the soda, then did the soda count. Did the other prelim duties, then realized my dustmop was MIA, so only mucked out the mats. Kel sent me to break at 7:30, and when I returned, pulled trash and began putting away the soda after she brought it down. Things were going well until 8:30, when I got a rush. Was nearly finished putting away the soda when my final 2 customers decided to be CFH....A wanted to cut their foam board, and laid it all out behind the Pro desk to measure it out; B had some items on delivery and some she still needed to pay for. It was 9:15 before everyone left, and 9:30 before I pushed the trash down to the hopper. Then grabbed HC C's loading tickets, the return items, AND the extra soda and went up front. Returned items to Tools and Lighting, then had Adriane put away the soda while I took a tool over to ISLG, then put up my vest.  Clocked out at 9:50.

ASM K left at 3.

Outfit:  Black leapard stripe, faded jeggings, sapphire and silver hoops.


Day 219:  $3413

Shift began on a high note, since I arrived at 3 and 'knew' I was going to be in Self-checkout for a while.  But it was CRAZY!  First, my QR code didn't work, and neither did my sign in, so Sandy ran off one for me. Then, customer's gloves were significantly discounted, and finding a mgr was hard.  Fortunatly, Scott showed up at the right time. Then it was military after military....all 4 lanes were taken up....had to hop on #10 to do a check.....one customer decided, in the middle of the transaction!!, to apply for a credit card.  Kem took him down to Pro to do it, so that tied up one register, Another customer didn't understand there were 3 more, and was confused....finally another customer stepped in and helped me clarify!  I rang him up with no issues.  Another customer paid, then needed a wheelchair to go use the restroom.  A customer on a wheeled scooter offered his; I handed the woman her purse and pushed her cart to the side, so she didn't have to push it all the way to the back with her hubby.

At 4, Jaylee showed up, and HC C sent me to LG for an hour.  Only saw 3 people.  One customer wanted to know if we still had push mowers; I sent her Aisle 28 and never saw her again.  Had a 20 minute conversation with Dalton. Rang up former employee Jessica:) Then at 5:10, called HC C to find out if they'd forgotten me. HC K came down; she had forgotten I was there.  B called as she was locking up LG and told him I was on my way. I took everything down, then put my sweatshirt back and took a pit stop.  

At 5:30, Mgr G and Pro S left; I did the prelim duties and fronted the soda.  Discovered 2 of my former Pepsi coolers are now Coke.  Good thing I'd not printed out the spreadsheet yet.....Lex sent me to lunch at 7, and when I returned, did my LU, pulled trash, swept the floor, mucked out the mats, sanitized the counters and registers. At 8:30, had three CFH....A wanted a tool with a free battery; the battery didn't zero out. Charlie tried it; HC K tried it. She finally ended up making it a penny so it would satisfy the customer. B wanted to know the price of an entire bunk of 7/16 OSB....then 44 sheets of 3/8 drywall, and wanted me to write down the particulars. C was one of my regulars, who arrived with a bucketful of washers, but no idea how many.  HC K and I counted and separated out the small ones....81.  Jokingly told him to get the hell out!

Also had a woman who wanted to make a payment on her card, but her CC didn't work.  Her total was $105, so when she handed me that amount, I thought she was just going to pay cash. Turned out, that was supposed to be the PAYMENT on the card. Oops....

Locked the doors and hauled in the cull carts, then returned items to Tools, Paint, Hardware, and a Gift Card, then took the trash to Receiving, as well as returning an item to RTM. Clocked out at 9:20.

Only saw ASM K at close.

Outfit:  Red turtleneck, faded jeggings, LJs, sapphire and silver hoops.

Off til Monday!!

Still trying to find out the songlist (Getting closer!!!  One left!)
I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (G. Michael/A. Franklin)
Again (Lenny Kravitz)
Not The Only One (Bonnie Raitt)
Budapest (George Ezra)
Hourglass (Squeeze)
Breathe (Faith Hill)
Every Day is A Winding Road (Sheryl Crow)
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause (John Couger Mellencamp...only 1st verse??)
Lessons In Love (Level 42)
You're An Ocean (Fastball)
The Difference (Wallflowers)
Circle In The Sand (Belinda Carlysle-again, only the 1st verse??)
No Good For You (Megan Trainer (2nd verse)
Glory of Love (Peter Cetara)
Here I Am (Bryan Adams)
Shake It Off (Taylor Swift)
Fascination (Human League)
Why Don't You and I (Santana w/Nickleback)
Kiss Me (Sixpence None The Richer)
(Sarah Baralles?  Cobie Callait???)

No comments: