Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Life As A Trainee Pt 1

Interview:
So I did something unexpected last month:  I found out one of our local big box home improvement stores was hiring seasonal help, so I filled out the application.

(Clothing:  Black sweater, white shirt, dark jeans and riding boots)

Fifteen minutes later, I'm called for an interview, and after wracking my brain for a brief moment about what situation I've found myself in where I had to follow a specific set of directions, I gave the example of when I home schooled the Teen, and we had to do a science experiment.  Whew....got over that hurdle.

Question #2 was about a situation in which I've taken the initiative and done something not in my job description.  Again, I decided to be honest, and told Scott I was 'head toilet-paper-changer' every weekend while at karaoke, since I knew where it was kept, and why bother the bartenders to do something I have to do at home anyway?  I also pick up the trash off the floor.  Scott looked at me and said, "You women think you're cleaner than men, but you're not."

"Oh, I know that all too well, for when I worked at a bar while in college, the women's restroom was WAAAY more messier than the mens!"

Next thing you know, we're swapping horror stories of what happens in babies' diapers!

Question #3:  When have I ever gone above and beyond the call of duty for a customer?  At this point, I 'fessed up about being an author, and cited the time a woman had left something at my table, and I tracked her all the way the across the room to return it....and the time I knew another woman was looking for someone specific and when I saw that person, I found the woman and told her she'd arrived.....and that when I'm at events, I make sure to familiarize myself with authors of other genres so I can cross-promote, in case someone stops by my table and doesn't read what I write!

He took me to Steve's office (I later found out he's the GM) and tells him he needs to talk to me.  Steve starts looking over my app, and talking about the different positions, and how 'no position trumps another.  People think 'oh, I'm just a cashier, but..."

"You're the face of the brand."  I cut in.

He looked impressed.  "You're exactly right.  If a customer has had a bad experience, but the cashier makes him feel validated and heard, he might not leave and bad-mouth us."

He loved my availability; I'd put M,T, Th, and Sa at Open-Close; Wed, Open-5; Fri Open-3; and Su 3-Close.  I'd forgotten about needing Saturday afternoon off....oops.  So, he took me back to the training room and told me to wait for Kelly.

I promptly went to the restroom and texted Mel.

I don't know what I said, but think I've managed to get myself hired....getting ready for the drug test and background check.

Mel texted back, Yay!!!

So I met with Kelly, who gave me the drug test and told me to follow the email link, then if I've not heard anything, call/email by the 21st.

I filled out the form on Friday the 15th, and waited.  Sent email on the 22nd.

Phone call on the the 25th, to come in for training either Tues the 26th from 10-3 or Thursday from 3-8.  I opted for the 26th....then promptly got the stomach flu.

Day #1:
Felt better the next day, and Kelly took Darren, Dan, Tim, and Mary and I through the Employee manual and a store tour.  Told us all to come back on the 28th from 10-3.

(Clothing:  Red/white turtleneck, black vest, jeans and tennis shoes)

Thursday, we showed up to train on the computer, only the computer threw a fit and wouldn't let us in the system, so after being given our locker assignments (mine:  165), we were taken to our chosen departments.  I ended up shadowing a woman named Jill, and after watching her check out the 1st three customers, semi-seriously wondered what the hell I'd done, since items of every size passed through, as well as Accounts Receivable, Military and Veterens discounts came through.  But after the initial panic, I settled back to observe the proceedings.

(Clothing:  White sweater, jeans, tennis shoes.  Took my heavy red hooded sweatshirt, but didn't need it.)

After a while, I mentally began taking myself through the steps:
Scan, drag across the strip or take the wand across the entire box, hit total twice, then bag and tell the customer to swipe their card for debit.  If Jill happened to be out of range of the register, I'd hit the total for her, and help with bagging.

Found out our '15 minute break' is really closer to 10, since it's a long walk to the back of the store!

When Jill went to lunch, I shadowed Krissy, whom I've known for several years, and we had a good time.

I discovered I'm good at pulling customers into the check out lane!

Saw Paul from choir and Alicia M, one of my daughter's former BFFs.

Day #2:
Returned on Friday the 1st at 9am, and proceeded to spend the next eight hours on the computer, doing all the training.  Correction:  MOST of the training.  I still have more to do.  D picked me up at 1 and took me to lunch at McAllister's, and I was getting so chilly at my terminal, I set up a space heater.

(Clothing:  Cabella's sweatshirt, jeans, tennis shoes)

Two lessons kicked my butt:  Reviewing the Customer Service plans and Looking Up An Order.

The customer service plan was simply me, wanting a perfect score, and not realizing the correct answers were given AFTER I submitted the answer.  I still couldn't answer three, after doing it about five times, but at least I got a passing score.

Looking up/modifying an order was rough, since there were multiple steps.  I finally caught on by the 8th or 9th time, and passed, but now I wish I'd taken NOTES.  Maybe I can get back into that lesson and do so??

At the end of the day, Kelly looked at my schedule and told me she was going to let me shadow Mel in Lumber the following week, so to work M-Th from 4-9:30.  I'd get a 15 minute break and a 30 minute lunch.

I'll report back tomorrow!

No comments: