Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Life As A Trainee Pt 2

My second day on the floor was more enjoyable:)

I was down in Lumber, with a good friend of mine, and after watching her work the register, I asked her when I'd be allowed to do so.

"Whenever you feel comfortable; just say, Gimme the machine!"

So the next customer approached, and I told her to let me try......and pretty much did it the rest of the night, with coaching from her.  I'd hit the wrong button, or have trouble remembering which F button to hit, but by the end of the night, I was even getting speedier on the cash transactions.  I still have more training to do on the computer, so might do it after we have our half hour break tonight, since it slows down by then.

But otherwise, I learned closing procedures:  wiping down the counters, restocking the soft drink coolers, sweeping the floor, emptying trash, and helping with some reshelving the returns.  I managed to punch in and out correctly tonight, and even request my April weekends off, with the exception of screwing up on two dates.  If asked, I'll report my mistake, and see if it can be fixed so I can still work a few hours on those days.  I don't need the entire day off; just need to be off my 1pm on the 5th, and by 3pm on the 19th.

Day #3:
I completed my computer training last night, just in time for dinner, lol!

Completed a few transactions on my own, plus stocked the soda cooler and attempted to learn how to lock the doors.  Had a moment of hilarity when we had to restock a shopping cart and I wasn't sure what went where....tomorrow morning, some poor guy's going to look by the ceiling fans and wonder who put all that stuff on the end cap!  Also, another guy in Hardware is going to be cussing out the person who dumped several packages of Gorilla Glue on his desk, when they clearly should have been left at the Paint desk!

Just blame the newbie, who's not sure where everything goes just yet!

Tomorrow, M and I are going to go through the Vest checklist, to see if I'm 'vest-worthy'.

I still need coaching on some of the F keys....and I have until Saturday to learn it, since M starts her promotion as Head Cashier.

I also opened up my big mouth and offered to work Friday night, if they needed me.....and that I would LOVE to take over M's 4-9:30 shift in Lumber!  Conveniently forgetting (again!) about choir practice on Wednesdays......But if I can work M, T, Th, F, and Sa, that gives me a 25-hour work week, and 50 hour paycheck.  I'm happy with that; means more $$ in my pocket....except for my days off in April.

Paycheck Plans
Hubby is still appalled by the fact I still plan to attend the La Grange event, but damn it, I have expenses I need to pay also!  My first check is going to have 37 hours on it, and according to him, I can keep $20-40 of it.  I say, ummmm.....no.....I need it to pay a few immediate expenses.

Say I end up with $350.  I can give him half, leaving me with $175, which means I can pay the following:
$35 to the church Check:)
$50 for the books I ordered last fall Check:)
$50 for my April 5th event (I'll get $25 back) Check:)
Leaves $64 to sock away for my upcoming trip to Louisville.
Sold exercise bike:  $15.

Assuming I get 35 hours the next pay period , that should leave me with a minimum of $370.  Half is $185, so I can apply my half to the following:
$40 to the church Check:)
$90 for table, laminating sheets, and printer ink Check:)
$7 for Velcro tabs, for prize wheel Check:)
$50 for my September event (check!)
Total saved:  $99 toward Ky trip

If I continue to get at least 33 hours the next pay period, then by April 12th, I'll have $360:
$100 to sock away for car rental
$79 for the hotel room
$85 to get my hair cut/bleached/blue streaked
$15 for two proof copies of CR
$60 + sales from 4/5-6 ($10), for promo items, gas, and food.

April 29th is the following payday, and I should be able to put my half toward:
$70 or 140 for cover art
$90+ whatever sales on the 20th, for swag and inventory, including sending $50 to a Sept event.

That means, by Mother's Day in May, my bank account *should* be in good shape, and I can pay $50 for the September event, plus start working on my November expenses, and contribute more to the medical.  I'm also *assuming* my sales will be good all three events in April, plus the two in May.

I should also hear in April whether or not I'm accepted into Marketing Boot Camp (No, but made the waiting list) over Mother's Day weekend, and of course, June brings the news of whether or not I'm a grant awardee.

Yes, I realize that's a lot of *assuming*, and it may come back to bite me in the butt, but a girl can dream, can't she?

The spouse may also decide he's not happy with a mere $160 every two weeks, so my expenses paid may very well determine how well sales go in April.


No comments: