Sunday, March 10, 2019

Life As A Trainee Pt 5

Day 6:
I wasn't very happy when I learned Thursday I'd be working up front, but it turned out okay:)

It rained nearly all day, so when I arrived, I casually asked one of the guys on the floor if many customers had been in today, and he said no, it had been a slow day.  I took that as a good sign and since I'd arrived a good fifteen minutes early, decided to check my email.

Discovered most of my requested time off had been approved, all but for April 25th and 26th, and Memorial Weekend.  Kelly was in her office, so I asked her about it, and she told me to talk to Jess or Brandon.  I never did meet Jess last night, and B had just left, so this coming week I'll get it sorted out.

New Head Cashier Mel set me up on Register 12, and when I tried the log in she suggested, it didn't work, so the other girl Alisca used her log in, and I began wrangling inviting customers to my lane.

Everything was going smoothly; Adrianna sent me to lunch at 6 (turkey cracker lunchable, plus a piece of my homemade chocolate chip Blondie), then when I returned, we found a log-in for me, and I made up a password.  Thankfully, I did write it down, so I'll know on Tuesday how to do it!

One of the frequent Lumber customers came to my line, saying the line was too long down there.  I recognized him and said, "You just wanted too see my smiling face again."

"You're right!  You were down there all last week....now you're here?"

"They're moving me around, so I know how to work every register."  I finished ringing him up and sent him on his way.

A seemed impressed I was doing so well, and I only needed a small amount of coaching on some items, such as when a customer brought a water heater through my lane.  Other than running out of 20s and 10s, and having to scramble to make $82 in change when the customer handed me $200 (I only had $15 in 5s, and probably around $30 in 1s!), and taking a customer's sixty cents and ringing it up as $60, I did pretty well.  I'm probably going to get my vest next week.

It also helped we had LOTS of downtime, and the rain quit about half an hour after I arrived.

I don't work again until Tues, so see you back here on Wed!  If anyone besides me is actually reading this....

No comments: