Friday, July 19, 2019

Flashback Friday: Catching Up

July 1989:
I attended Math Class in the morning, and either apartment and job hunted, or lounged in BM's pool before heading back to Frankfurt to work.  Five major events happened:

A)  July 3rd was by far the WORST night at my shift.  My boss pointed out several people who were on her tab, and I stupidly thought she meant the entire night.  Imagine my shock when, at the end of the night, she'd only meant THAT ROUND!  I had to surrender all my tips in order to pay for the rest of the drinks.  To say I was pissed was mild.  I also didn't understand why they hadn't brought in another server.....I was trying to break down the salad bar, serve everyone's drinks, AND suffer through my own hunger and sleepiness, since I'd forgotten about the 4th being the following day, and naturally it was packed.

B)  BM and I did have an actual date one evening, but after drinking 8 drinks, I, for whatever reason, turned to him and said, in a very slurry voice, "I don' wanna marry you; I jush wanna live with you til I gradiate."  

Is it any wonder that he suddenly began having no time for me?  Which led to disastrous decision C:

C)  I was minding my own business at the pool, when this guy struck up a conversation with me.  I'd just gotten the news plans for Chi-Chis had fallen through, so Jack very nicely offered to take me.  He turned out to be B's neighbor, so after a delicious meal, I went back to his apartment to hang out.  One thing led to another, and I ended up sneaking out in the morning, so B wouldn't see me.  I'd even parked in another lot, to avoid detection.  I did this for a week, until I was nearly busted, and by then, I'd had enough of the deception.

D)  I took my final in Math, then 'kidnapped' friends K and E, and proceeded to throw myself a graduation party.  We began at Olive Garden, then discovered, via our Very Cute Waiter, it was quarter beer night at The Vogue in Broadripple.  After dinner, we did a brief shopping trip through Castleton Mall, and bought some new clothes at Sycamore.  Went back to K's house to change, then headed to the bar.  We only saw our cute waiter once, then proceeded to dance and have a few drinks.  At 2am, we discovered it was pouring down rain, and got soaked running back to my car.  Drove to K's house, where we crashed for the night, startling her parents the next morning!

E}  K's wedding was set for July 28th, and I forgot to mention earlier in the year, when she and I and the other bridesmaids went shopping for accessories, we went on the day of the Antique Sale.  K was upset with me pawing through the books and Star Wars memorobilia, but I scored several treasures, in addition to my new shoes, earrings, and necklace.

For the rehearsal, I was mad at B for not going with me, so I talked CS into going.  Only problem was, I wasn't entirely sure of the address of the church, so we were slightly late.  I didn't really pay close attention to my groomsman, but enjoyed being with CS and my other friends at the dinner.  It was held in Westfield, at the Lighthouse Restaurant.  Afterward, we girls headed to a bar, and the guys offered to take C home to Plainfield.  We had a good-humored drag race down SR 31, with my little Chevy beating a truck full of men!  We danced and drank some more, then I headed home.

The day of the wedding, I arrived at the church and got dressed, plus helped K with her preparations.  Pictures were taken, ceremony went off without a hitch, until the Maid of Honor revealed she and her boyfriend had gotten married the day before.  I joked this bumped me up to MOH!  B never showed up, even to the reception.  I led the procession to the Boat Club, even missing the turn, and saw about ten cars all making the same U-Turn!  Depressed over B not making it, I kicked off my shoes, drank an entire bottle of K's dad's homemade wine, and picked up my groomsman, so I'd have a dance partner.  At the end of the reception, my feet were too sore to shove into my pumps, so he carried me to my car, and we talked for maybe an hour until I 'sobered' up.  Drove barefoot to my grandmother's house and called B, who informed me he'd had some things to do for his mom, which had taken longer than expected, and hoped he'd get to see me before I started working full time.  I then hung with with Grandma for about an hour (sobering up even more, ha ha!), before driving back to Lafayette.

Next Month:  Job Offer and New Boyfriend

July 1999:
K didn't make All-Stars, which was fine with us, and we proceeded to enjoy the rest of July.  Went to the park for the 4th of July fireworks, and shuttled K back and forth to various friends' houses.  Went to the county fair and had a great time!

Next Month:  School Starts and I Get Half My Life Back!

*******************
Present Day:
I am off to my 35th Class Reunion this week!  Meeting at Sgt Preston's tonight, then touring the school tomorrow afternoon, followed by dinner at MCL and dancing at the Neon Cactus.  The Tippicanoe Fair starts this weekend, so hoping to go Sunday, and go home Monday.  I think S and I are going also, so we can all drive up in S's jeep.

No comments: