Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Downtime 2008

This may sound slightly insane, but I actually have to schedule in my downtime. What is downtime? The time where I do nothing but read, watch TV, or even just sit on the front porch and watch the birds.


Nothing infuriates me more than to have someone imply I do nothing all day. My own niece was trying to start her own business several years ago and actually said to me, "This will give you something to do all day."


Excuse me? Between my-then Mommy chores, which included changing diapers and encouraging a toddler to be independant; my daily housecleaning routine; and trying to squeeze in an hour or two of writing, when do I not have something to do?


I am rarily bored at home. I used to have a neighbor who cried when her youngest child began school, and who regularly called because she was sick of watching TV and wanted someone to talk to. I loved it when we got Caller ID, because I could choose to ignore her calls. I didn't understand her attitude then, nor do I understand people who complain they wenthave nothing to do. Maybe it is simply the fact I learned early to entertain myself, and I'm perfectly fine being at home by myself? Give me access to a radio, several books, a computer, and I'm perfectly happy. I don't need for people to entertain me; I'm perfectly capable of finding something to do.


Take yesterday. I had been gone for three days, and when I arrived home, my hubby had not done any housework. I decided to simply take it easy and catch up on the chores in a leisurely manner, instead of trying to frantically cram it all in before noon. Why noon? That's when my toddler would normally come home from school. But the kids are out for the summer, and I was still tired from all the driving. Why kill myself when I do not have to watch the clock anymore?


I actually woke up early and since we needed a few breakfast items, went to the store and bought them. Fixed the coffee and fired up the computer. Watched the morning news, read my email and favorite blogs. Posted my own, and then dressed, sorted the laundry, and helped hubby clean up the kitchen. I guess it was too messy for him at that point, so he jumped in and washed the dishes.


I only did two loads of laundry, but I finished writing my answers to an interview next week; I read two more chapters of Cheryl's book; I remembered I still had two episodes of 90210 to watch from Saturday, so I went downstairs and enjoyed some solitude. My oldest son went over to spend the night at my friend Jackie's house, and to help with a home improvement project; hubby and I decided to go to dinner and go grocery shopping.


Today, I slept later than usual, and was irritated that hubby had made plans that included me leaving the house. I have things I want (need?) to finish, but right now, it is more important that I be with friends who need our help with outside projects. And I get to use a laptop for the first time, and I kind of like it. I've accidentally exited out of the internet, and I've managed to shrink my screen, but that's okay. The chores will still be there when I get home, and I've been able to print out something I've needed

No comments: