Monday, July 15, 2019

Life In Lumber Week #16

Day 86:  Short Week!
Not sure what happened today; I had zero energy during my entire shift.  I know I had one customer that I joked had bought out our entire plumbing department, and had another customer who needed 34 sheets of plywood, and at first, the guys got the wrong ones and had to do it over.

Darren also teased me about being 12 feet away from my register as I was loading the soda machine, then ten minutes later, when I called him to help a customer load his vehicle...."Good luck with that; let me know how it goes."

"But I'm only allowed to be ten feet away from my register."

"Oh, that's right.  I'm on my way."

Was visited by a husky, who accidentally left us a 'present' in the concrete aisle, much to Ben's disgust....I thought the owner had said she had 'pottied', not 'done her business'!

Also Mark and Jenny McNeece and Wally came in!  Wally tried jumping up on the counter and sniffed the scanner....sorry I didn't have any treats on hand, Wally!\

Locked the doors at 8:58, and the larger door at 9:05.  We all clocked out at 9:15:)

Here's hoping tomorrow goes smooth, and we find the dust mop!

Day 87:  It's A 'Take This Job and Shove It' Night....
My mood went south around 4pm, and I don't know why.  1st half of the shift went well; the only hiccup was when two guys arrived with 5 corner panels and protested when they rang up $40.  Said they were marked $16.  Had Darren check; that's the price of the J-Channels.  They still protested, so consulted Ian, who authorized the price change (and told D to make sure all they corner panels were in the correct bin!).

With the on and off rain, the electricity went down for about 30 seconds (but not the registers), then flickered again 20 minutes later.

Went to lunch, and prayed for an easy night, but while I had time to get all my closing duties finished by 8pm, had several items arrive with either fading or torn bar codes, or none at all.  Wasn't able to find them on the app or the computer, so had D go look for me.

Manager T upset me; I knew I'd forgotten to drag one item over the scanner, so when it triggered the alarm, I simply reset it.  T told me the next time, I was call the customer back to double check.  I KNEW it was my fault!  *eye roll*

Even at the end, I knew we had at least one customer still in house, so wasn't surprised when they showed up at 9:05.  Unfortunately, they had a lot of plumbing items, and two without bar codes.  Found the coupler, but the p trap took longer, and finally one of them went back to check.  Turned out it was the $7 one I'd found 5 minutes earlier, but the other guy had insisted it was only $3!  Turned in my tax exempts and loading tickets, then put my vest up and clocked out.  I was READY to leave!

Day 88:  Long Day!
My mood was definitely improved!  Had my tongue twisted early in my shift when I tried to repeat, via intercom, "Customer needs assistance in plumbing....Customer neeth athith...."

Had to call HC McKrenda down 4 times in 90 mins:  overrides, needing $1s, and needing help.  Also threw pennies all over the floor when I was trying to fill the register.  Quarters behaved themselves, lol!

Went to lunch at 5:05; family met me at McAllister's.  Bought a Snickers from Rachel before clocking back in.

2nd half was slower; got all my closing duties finished by 8:20, then had a large order for my final customer.  Locked the doors at 9:10, and helped run carts.  Took my trash down, then my tax exempts and loading tickets.  MK had me take her vest back and retrieve her keys and umbrella, then we all clocked out.

Hoping tomorrow goes as well!  Final day before payday AND 3 day weekend!

Day 89:  95 Degrees!
1st half of the shift was nice and steady, with only one hiccup.  Man shoves two carts at me, full of plumbing stuff.  I scanned the pipes, then, as they customer peruses the Pro Desk, proceed to unload, sort, and count the three different types of plumbing fittings in the first 2 boxes.  He grabbed the 3rd one and said he'd help....then I discovered NONE of it had scanned, and had to start all over!  He protested when I proceeded to scan the 1st two boxes, but understood when I told him what had happened.  At the end of the 1st order ($1200), he wanted to know how to get the discount, and told him to return tomorrow and talk to the pros.  So then I rang up his 2nd order ($700) and he still shook his head and wondered why it was so expensive!  Finally sent him on his way; Marci took over, and I went to lunch, swinging past Flooring on my way to drop off a trowel.

After lunch, things slowed waaaaay down.  I managed to get everything done, even cleaned the windows and wiped off the soda machine.  The top of the Monster cooler was dusty, and one of the Monster boxes had come open.  Completely swept under all mats, and 'mucked out' the pro station.  Had an '8:45' rush, including a couple who walked in at 8:57, found what they needed, and were back in line before 9pm.  Waited for Jean to return with the forklift, then closed the large door, and took my loading tickets and tax exempts up front.

Headed to my HS reunion tomorrow, so 3 day weekend ahead!!!

No comments: