Friday, August 9, 2019

Flashback Friday: Bad Decision....

Aug 1979:
We took our annual trip to the State Fair with friends, and Mom let us each select three rides to ride before walking around the exhibits.  I think this was the year we decided to try the fun houses...the Hall of Mirrors was uneventful, since we followed someone who knew how to do it, and the 2nd one had one of those awful 'drum' obstacles at the end.  I could not do it, and fell down, scraping some skin from my shoulder.  Think I actually rolled out of it.  Went on the Flying Bobs, then regretfully left the Midway and went to enjoy the rest of the fair.

My 8th grade year did not start well.  Principal divvied us up according to last names, and I misunderstood where my name fell when he got to the 'M's.  Thankfully, I wasn't the only one, and was redirected to my new home room.  Then, I discovered I'd been placed in Select Choir, which was the mixed choir, and since I didn't feel ready to sing with the boys, and hadn't even tried out for it, I went to the guidance office the first chance I got and asked to be placed in Girl's Choir instead.  Hindsight, stupid, stupid, STUPID!

I immediately 'clicked' with my Health class teacher and my Social Studies teacher.  I had a mild dislike for my new English teacher, and was very dismayed at my Science partner for the first semester.  Rick was one of the 'loser' guys, and I sensed this semester was going to be a challenge.

Next Month:  Disaster in Science

*************
Present Day:
I am off to the Collector's Carnival in Princeton tomorrow!  Had a very relaxing weekend last week, walking around the Watermelon Festival as an ordinary spectator.  Also spent 3 days at the State Fair, and sold 18 books, met Al Unser Jr, ate a lamburger, deep-fried cookie dough, and cotton candy, rode the Re-Mix, and had a blast!


No comments: