Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Life In Lumber, Week #21

Day 104:
Returned to work after a 5 day hiatus (Minneapolis trip), and about an hour in, discovered customers no longer had to swipe for debit!  HC Mel said they changed the system on Monday.  We also have new blue signage for the departments, and they're switching the displays.  Can't hire a new janitorial staff, but we have new signs!

Over all, shift went well.  Only had one hiccup....guy had $16 in change; I forgot to grab the $10 bill, and had to have McKrenda open the register.

At the end, I had a delivery order, but it was being sent to a new address, so had to call HC Mel down to walk me through it.  There was another customer in line, so she had me hop over to #2 while she took care of the deliver order.

Makayla and I cleaned the men's room and the family bathroom, then emptied the break room trash.

Also discovered I'd requested the wrong day off:  I've got Thursday Sept 5th off instead of Friday the 6th.  Think Makayla and I are going to switch, unless I talk to Tasha about it.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes as smoothly!

Outfit:  Blue paint-spatter 'wings' shirt, faded denim capris

Day 105:
Shift began on a weird note....I was slightly late (2 mins), b/c I was talking to Kyle in the parking lot.  An hour in, a guy had roofing materials knocked down to $1, but Krissy had arrived for my break, and called me out on the fact one was different.  Had to redo it.  Took my break, and returned a few items.  Between 4 and 5, things were okay; the owner of Raki Corp arrived and laughed when I rang him up and looked him up under the name, rather than the phone #!  Was relieved for dinner at 5, and met the family at McAllister's, and between 6 and 7:30, I did closing duties and restocked the cooler.  Had an urgent need for the facilities at 7:30, but didn't get a chance until after 8, in which Scott told me he'd had a complaint I'd used my personal phone while in the middle of a transaction.  Ummmm, no....phone was on SILENT, and it was nearly dead!  Whomever it was, it was NOT me!  After a last minute 'rush', Aliscia took my trash and loading tix while I walked with HC Cindy, then headed for the break room to empty that trash.  Put my vest away, then walked the trash down to the compactor, and met everyone at the front, and clocked out.

I did NOT ask about the problem up front when I needed an uncharacteristic potty break; I did NOT ask about why the front end was out of hours; I DID ask Scott if the complaint was against me, or Lumber Cashier, or in general; he said 'in general', which confused me all over again, but at least I know it wasn't me.

Here's hoping Thursday is nice and quiet, and very smooth?  I still need to talk to someone about my Sept 5th issue, though I think maybe Makayla will work for me on the 6th, and me work for her on the 5th.

Outfit:  Classy Not Sassy shirt, patterned leggings.

Day 106:
Shift began well; HC MK reported that Reg #1 wasn't working, and Tiff hadn't had her break yet, so she wanted me to clock in early.  So I did, and spent an hour on #2, only to observe both Todd and Ian using #1.  So at 4pm. I switched over, in order to take advantage of the air flow!  Was relieved at 5:15 for lunch, and afterward, began my closing duties.  Discovered I was out of trash bags, and Sacred brought some down, along with the soda and register tape.  At 7:30, I discovered my paper towels were missing, so HC Cindy brought some down about an hour later.

Was rather slow all evening, but at 8:50, a customer came in wanting a contractor's pack of drywall.  Took several minutes to locate the forklift and a spotter, but finally got him rang up and loaded by 9:10.  Took my trash down and emptied the break room trash, then had Sacred empty it while I took a restroom break.  Clocked out at 9:30.

Outfit:  Brown shirt, faded denim Capris.

Day 107:  Influx of Crazies!
Day began on a weird note; as I was walking toward Lumber, Tiff passed me on her way to the break room, then showed up as Marci was signing out and me taking over.  Shift was busy; didn't get the soda count started until well after 4:30.  Makayla came down to help at one point, but just as she arrived, I finished the large order and began ringing up the only other customer.  Mrs. Smith from Clark had arrived with a large order to be delivered, and had thankfully written down all the item numbers:)

Sacred relieved me for lunch at 6:15, and I took the returns to their respective departments, then ate my lunch.  After clocking back in, I finished gathering the trash (S had forgotten the Pro desk ones) and began sweeping up.  At 8:30, had one nutty customer after another.  Customer A mumbled and was hard to understand....turned out he was high on Oxycontin.  He complained no one wanted to help him; I tried and Darren did a lot of it.  Turned out he'd tried to haggle Robert in Tools down to a discount on everything, so R refused to help him.  I finally got him rung up, then D got the air compressor for him.  We both sighed with relief when he drove away!

Right before close, Customer B had a cabinet with a busted drawer.  Could NOT get manager to answer phone or page!  Customer C went to the CS desk and demanded a manager; no one answered THAT one either, but Taylor came running down and rang up Customers C and D.  I finally paged for an MOD, and THEN Brandon called and told me to knock it down to $75.  Had to call HC Cindy down for an override, which took more time.  Literally locked the doors behind them.

Had to change out the trash outside, and forgot....earlier, a woman needed a door loaded into her car.  Couldn't get my lumber guys to answer the phone.  Fave customer Robert G happened to walk in; I asked if he'd do me a favor and load it for her.  He said sure, so I knocked his one board down 50%.

Didn't get out of there until 9:30.

Outfit:  Yellow Florida tee, faded denim capris.

Have tomorrow off, then 6 days in a row.  Here's hoping Sunday goes smoothly!

No comments: