Sunday, August 25, 2019

Life In Lumber: Week #22

Day 108:  Rare Sunday
Shift began on a dramatic note, when Tiff came to the break room to say J was driving her nuts, cleaning the floor while she (T) waited on all the customers.  HC MK said she'd take care of it.  When I clocked in, MK told me to tell J to go up front.  J protested, and I jokingly said, "I'll just stand here and watch y'all work!"

MK laughed.  "That's MY job!"

Customer A arrived in a bad mood, swore when he accidentally cancelled his transaction, and got angry at the credit card machine.  I remained calm and said, "I hope your day gets better."

Rest of the shift went well.  It was nice and steady, and the family took me to LJS for dinner.  When I returned, Tiff handled the customers while I emptied the trash and put the soda away.  Reg #2 chip reader malfunctioned, so I shut down at 5:30 and took over T's spot.  T did all the returns, then clocked out at 6.  Had a rush at 8:40, and locked the doors at 9:05.

Outfit:  Black/tan shirt, black capris, Larimar oval earrings

Here's hoping tomorrow goes nice and smooth!

Day 109:
Had insomnia last night, and didn't get to sleep until after 5:30am.  Shift began well, albeit rainy, then about 5pm, I had a customer try to buy a combination Fire alarm that wasn't in our system.  HC MK was at lunch, so Karlie came down and showed me how to add it to the system.

Right before I went to lunch, both Darren and Kyle were assisting customers when Customer B needed drywall and Customer C needed help at the corrugated tin.  K finished first, so sent him to CB, but it turned out he needed D's help.  Told D to go by CC and let him know he'd be with them shortly.  Not sure what happened, but CC arrived at my counter, upset because of 'no help'.  K was nearly finished by then, so I looked up the item he wanted, and K went to pull it down.

After lunch, we were slow.  My sleepless night caught up with me around 7:30, and all my energy went south.  Only did the bare minimum cleaning, and got the doors locked on time.  HC MK arrived to empty my register and mentioned she was having 'female issues', so we were getting out of there asap!

Outfit:  Blue Vancouver Aquarium Tee, faded denim capris, small zirconian stud earrings.

Here's hoping I get some sleep tonight, and tomorrow goes well!

Day 110:
I actually showed up early for my shift, since I finished reading the book I'd brought.  Took back Kem's returns, then clocked in and took over.  1st half of shift went well; had a 'rush' at 4:30.  After lunch, I discovered Rachel with a customer arguing over payment.  He didn't have enough $$ in his LAR, and wanted to add more.  I took him over to Reg #2 and added it, but it turned out he still needed more.  While she was dealing with him, I rang up the others in line, and when she was finished, took over again.

Five minutes later, HC T came down for a 'discussion over lunch breaks', wanting to know why R had been sent down at 5:55, but didn't return until nearly an hour later.  I explained that when she'd arrived, I'd been with a customer, and the issue when I returned.  She pulled up my time sheet and saw I'd clocked out at 6, then back in at 6:33.  Problem solved.

Was steady all the way until 8:45, and finished most of my closing duties.  Had a customer with a large lumber order, so while J and K were loading him up, I locked the other doors and gathered the rest of the carts outside.  Took my returns back, then headed for the trash with my own and the break room's.

Outfit:  Smart Women tee, patterned leggings, no earrings.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes well!

Day 111:  Long Day
Arrived at 2; things steady.  Kathy shadowed me and Pro-Kim, until Kim had to leave at 3:30 for dental appt.  Had no lumber associate from 4-5, and of course that's when everyone wanted drywall, boards cut, or help putting things in their vehicles!

Jill relieved me at 5, and had a relaxing hour in the break room.  Returned and had to hop on Reg #2 for a few minutes in order to help her out.  Things slowed down a bit, but from 7:30-8:15 it was non-stop.  Had one customer with a list to set up for delivery; in between ringing up customers, I was searching for his item numbers.  Finally got his delivery scheduled, then rang up his purchases to take with him.  At 8:50, my final customer left, so locked the doors at 9, then opened the large door and began collecting carts until Aggie arrived to empty my register.  Did the break room trash, then went up front and clocked out.

Discovered my hours have been cut Sept 16th, down to 5-close M-F.  Are they cutting everyone's hours, due to a slow down?

Outfit:  White spatter-shirt, black/white vest, dark denim capris, silver cross earrings.

I sincerely hope tomorrow goes well!

Day 112:
Shift began with me running late, since Nancy dropped me off from Writer's Guild.  Discovered Ben had called in yet again, meaning we would have no lumber associate from 4-5 again.  Kathy and I told Zach we'd hog-tie him to the shelves in order to keep him another hour, ha ha!  Kim decided to stick around.

1st half of shift was steady, but after lunch, all hell broke loose.  I came back and Taylor needed an override, so I hopped on #2 to help out.  Rang up two customers successfully, but the 3rd paid by check, and first the printer locked up, and when I called HC Aggie for help, she came down and discovered the entire register had frozen up.  She transferred everything to #1, then had to send the receipt to the CS desk.  Had one customer try to help me out with finding the code and ended up knocking all his undersill things on the floor.  Set up a delivery over the phone and thought I'd screwed up by taking her payment, but Mgr T said it was fine, and to next time, simply put 'CNP' (customer not present) on the receipt.

Didn't have to empty the break room trash; all I had to do was take my own to the compactor and hang up my vest.  We were clocked out by 9:15.  Overall, a rather frustrating shift, esp since I thought I was in trouble over that delivery order!

Outfit:  Black lace tee, patterned leggings, large zirconian stud earrings.

One.  More.  Day.  Till the weekend!  Please let Friday be stress-free?

Day 113:  Is This Crazy Week Over Yet?
My 3rd customer of the day paid by credit card and all of a sudden, we noticed an issue.  His display read 'please remove card' while mine said 'cash back?'  He reinserted the card and my display changed to 'approve purchase', while his stayed the same.  Called HC Aggie, who told me to call the MOD, who told me to call IT.  So I spent 30 mins on the phone with IT, while they fixed the issue.  Meanwhile, Tasha came down and managed to transfer the customer's info to Reg #3 and get him paid, while Kathy took care of everyone else on #2.

Once we got my register back up and running, the font was small, and neither Tasha nor Brandon knew how to make it larger.  So spent the next two hours w/o my glasses, so I could read the screen!  Things calmed down a it, was still steady.  Rachel came down at 6 and showed me how to increase the font; I nearly kissed her!

Kim and I agreed that the issue stemmed from the peanuts in my Snickers at lunch on Thurs, then the peanut butter in the Reecee cups we'd split before shift!  Damn peanuts....it certainly wasn't the chocolate, ha ha!

After dinner, it was still steady, and my final customer of the evening had 3 carts.  Finally got them rang up by 9:10, and locked all doors.  Took my trash down to the other end, then disposed of the Break Room trash.  Found out we'd had TWELVE people call in, most likely due to the holiday weekend.  I told Aggie not to call me in unless it was absolutely necessary; around 7:30, I began to feel like death warmed over.  Am going to bed and get plenty of sleep after this long, 6 day stretch!  I NEED two days off!

Outfit:  Lowe's Tee, faded denim capris, no earrings.

Here's hoping next week is a little slower???

No comments: