Monday, September 21, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #59

 Day 260:

Was late, due to the Imaginarium Practice Session, which didn't really work for me.  But arriving at 5:30 meant a shorter shift:)  Discovered the pop count hadn't been done, so thankfully, we were slow.  Got it done shortly after 6, then learned that Austin had been fired.  The kid was a good worker when he actually worked, but he took waaaaay too many smoke breaks, and had a habit of disappearing.  Cam told me Misty had called him and said Lumber was getting a shake up.  Maybe I need to talk to her about hiring Will for a trial period???

Anyway, I was able to get my AP4Me and Lowes U done, then did my closing duties.  Clocked out on time.

Outfit:  Brown tee, dark capris.

Day 261:

Today was strange.  Felt as if I were underwater the entire shift.  Jill was with me for the 1st hour, and we were busy.  Managed to get the pop count done by 5:30.

Needed only two over rides:  A Cull Pack, and marked down carpet.

Had an 'unauthorized power equipment hijacking', as Jacob needed to use the forklift, but isn't certified.  Customer knew how to use it, so who while J was trying to find someone, and I was doing the pop count, Customer decided to take matters into his own hands.  Fortunately, J and Cameron stopped him!

Went to lunch at 6:20, and when I came back, did the closing duties.  Had five customers from 8:45-close, then took my trash down and put up my vest.

Outfit:  Classy tee, dark capris

Day 262:

Shift began on a good note, since Marci and I work well together.  She left at 5, after I finished the pop count and printed off my schedule and pay stub.  Was sent to lunch at 5:45, and when I came back, we had a rush until 8, with one person wanting help with his stairs and matching it to the deck, and another needing a board cut, and a 3rd who was told her pool noodles were in, but we couldn't find them, and according to the computer, we were at -14.  So I think she gave up and got a refund on the 36 she'd ordered.

Did my closing duties, and we closed on time:)

I'd also shown up at 10:30, to talk to Davis, about covering my shift on Fri, and got a very non-commital answer.  If he contacts me at all, I'll be thrilled.  As of now, I'm expecting to either have to call in or work and drive to Cincy at 5am Saturday morning.

Outfit:  Yellow Florida tee, dark capris

Day 263:

Solved my problem for tomorrow; I'll simply drive to either just past Indpls or Greenfield and get a motel room, then only have to drive 1-2 hours Saturday morning.

Arrived; Marci and I worked well together.  She had already begun the pop count, so after she left at 5, I finished it.

Only needed one override.  Ron Arney had two discounted doors, and the one rang up zero, but still needed an o/r for the $50 cost:)  Was sent to lunch slightly after 6, and when I returned, we were fairly dead.  Everyone who had lumber to pick up did so tonight, and all were already paid for.  Did closing duties, then had to wait for one last customer, who brought her cart at 7:40 and said she'd be right back.  Arrived at 9 with one last item, and she was on her way out by 9:02.  Tossed my trash at Kyle, then returned two plumbing items, then put my vest up.

Asked HC MK if I could possibly leave as close to 9 tomorrow if at all possible....she said if I give up my 30 minute break, and only take a 15, she'd let me leave at 9.  I said hell yes!

Outfit:  Blue/white striped tee, dark capris

Day 264:  Payday!!

Due to my deal with HC MK, I had to work up front today, which went very well!  Even had some of my lumber customers come through my line instead!  Stretched my 15 min break into a 20, ha ha....and MK let me turn off my light at 8:45, just as D arrived with a BW3 bag, my favorite Parm-Garlic wings inside!  Clocked out at 9:05 and drove to Greensburg, In and spent the night.  Cincinnati in the morning!

Outfit:  Colt's jersey (Harrison), dark capris

No comments: