Thursday, September 17, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #58

 Day 257:

Shift went okay.  My asthma was acting up, so tucked my inhaler in my vest pocket.  Was reprimanded once for wearing my mask below my mouth, then was caught when Mgr T returned my blue bag.  She didn't say anything, though.  Discovered SM Steve was still around, so called him and told him I had something for him, if he had a free moment.  He came down and was both surprised and pleased when I handed him the Coke key chain.

"You didn't have to do that..."

"You gave me an entire two weeks off, so I just wanted to show my appreciation."

He squeezed my arm and smiled before walking back to his office.

Brea relieved me for lunch at 6:30, and I thought I smelled something hot or burning in the center aisle.  Told Scott about it.....then Darren backed me up, saying he'd smelled it too, and thought it was just someone vaping.

After I ate, I attempted to load the soda cooler in between customers, and Brea came down to finish it.  At 8, I started the closing duties and was finished by 8:45.  HC C came down to clean me out; Kyle said he would take care of the door, so I took the rest of the Tax Exempt receipts down, and then to my locker.

Got home and realized I'd left my lunch box in the fridge.  Also started feeling lousy; hope it passes soon.

Outfit:  Gray leoapard stripe tee, dark capris, paper mask. 

Day 258:

Went in, even though I'm still feeling like death warmed over.  1st half of shift was fine; fairly steady, and no issues.  Then I went to lunch at 6:15. Clocked back in a half hour later, then nearly fell down in the lumber aisle when my vest got caught on a staged order.  I get back to the register and Matt asks if I'm aware I only get 30 mins.  I said yes, then said was waylaid by customer and aforementioned wood.  Just irritated me.  Got hit with a 7pm rush, and fortunately Austin knew how to work the register.  Was done with closing duties by 8:40, and earlier, a man had walked in, needing some lumber.  By 9pm, Austin was still helping him.  HC Aggie came to clean me out and ended up helping me ring everything up, since there was no rhyme or reason to how it was stacked.  We finally figured it out, and they paid, but then the fascia was bent, so Austin and Chad took it off, and said they'd set it aside for the next day, since the new pallet was still on the truck.  At 9:30, A cleaned out my drawer; I went out to help load, and finally clocked out around 9:45. 

Decided to skip karaoke tonight; I feel lousy.

Outfit:  Rebel tee, dark capris, paper mask

Day 259:

Felt better by 3, so went in and things went well until 6.  Had a customer insist we price-match his white lumber, since it had been price-matched a few weeks earlier, and he only needed 8 more pieces.  Called HC C, who took a look at it, but would only knock 4 pieces from $19 down to 7.  He refused, so she told me to call Mgr B.  B didn't answer his page, so paged for any MOD, and Jess answered, then said she'd come down.  While we were waiting, the line began to back up (Jill was on break), so I hopped over to #3 and did double-duty for a few mins.  Jess arrived and haggled with him, then Reg #2 signed me out.  Jess agreed to authorize it, then I had to ring up his lumber again, and things went well.  Signed out of #3, then finished ringing him up, and went to lunch.

After lunch, Jill left, and everything went well, other than running out of cleaning solution (cleaned the plexi-glass, but that was it), then my final two customers arrived.  A brought me Flextape that 'couldn't be found', but he went to get another one.  B arrived, so I invoiced A, then they had a countertop which 'couldn't be found', and had to call Aggie down to add it.  Meanwhile, A arrived, so moved over to Charlie's register to ring him up.  He handed me a silicone tube, which rang up 'zero', and when I pointed it out to Aggie, she laughed, then told me to enter in the code.  That rang up properly, and we had a good laugh about the 'gremlins' in the system today!  

Another of my customers complimented me:  "I like coming here and seeing you behind the counter, because you're always so friendly and kind."  Awwww.....thank you!

Clocked out on time tonight; discovered loader Austin hadn't taken out the trash or a few of his other closing duties the night before.

Outfit:  JHS tee, jeggings.  It was only 68 degrees today.

No comments: