Monday, March 15, 2021

Life As A One-Armed Lumber Queen, Week #82

 Day 361:

Shift began on an odd note:  When I went to clock in, the time clock told me I was late; my scheduled arrival time was 4AM!  I added a note..."My shift is 4PM!"

Right off the bat, Loader Wally and I were played.  Woman arrived with 4 cut pipes that Justin cut for her, and after I rang her up, she asked the price.  We were past the point of no return, so when she got her receipt, she claimed they were $2 less.  I called W to go check; he reported back the bin was mixed, and what size did she want?  The 1-1/4 for $4.47 or the 1" for $2.47?

"The $2 ones."

"The ones he cut were 1-1/4."

"Yes, these are the ones I want, but I want to pay the $2 price."

So I called Mgr T, who told me to go ahead and give it to her.  I adjusted her receipt and sent her down to CS, then called CS to alert them to the issue.

Afterward, we discovered Pro Denton had pulled those 4 pipes from the correct bin!

Oh well....one more CFH taken care of....

Due to the rain, things were fairly slow at first, then as the rain cleared, people trickled in.  We didn't need a whole lot of soda, and went on my break at 6.  Had already done the preliminary duties, so swept the floor and due to the amount of customers, didn't start sanitizing until nearly 8:30.  Only got the Pro desk plexiglass cleaned, and all the registers sanitized.

My scanner quit, so only hand-keyed in one order, then switched to #2.  After the 4th customer, I heard the scanner reboot, so moved back to #1.  But an hour later, #1 was out of 5s and 10s, so moved back to #2 for the rest of the evening.  Had 2 customers at closing.  A's order was 15% off, but couldn't figure out how to do it, so was happy when they said they were fine with 10%.  B rang up, but then decided to be chatty.  ASM Scott arrived, and I joked that he was going to lock them in the store!  They left:)

HC C cleaned me out; I shut the garage door when Justin returned with the hopper, and took a brush down to aisle #1.  Clocked out at 9:30.

Joked with Scott on the way out...."I'm coming!  I've got a broken arm."

"Oh, that's right.  See you tomorrow."

Outfit:  Gray IN sweatshirt, red/black leggings, tools mask


Day 362:

Shift was busy!  Ran out of 1s on #1, so hopped over to #2 until HC C could bring them, then went back to #1.  Was steady all the way til 6, when I had managed to do the pop count, prelim duties, and one pass with the broom.  Took my break, then things slowed down.  Had everything done by 8:40.  Had one final customer at 9:05, and joked good-naturedly he was locked in!  He even thoughtfully returned his cart, then Karlee cleaned me out.  Returned a tape measure, some plumbing couplings, and took the trash to the compactor, since our hopper was awol.  Inventory is in full swing, fun, fun.

Outfit:  Blue/white striped fleece shirt, faded jeggings, blue check mask


Day 363:  St. Paddy's Day!

Stimulus $$ hit; we were BUSY!  Arrived; had to be on #2, due to Charlie working with a customer.  Once I hopped back over to #1, it wasn't long before I was out of pennies.  HC M told me to hop to #2, since she was on a register.  A few minutes later, I called to let her know #1 was almost out of 1s, but since I had plenty of quarters, could supplement.  She wasn't able to come down until nearly 7, and due to the back log, I didn't get a break; SHE didn't get a break, and customers finally slowed around 7:30.  

Managed to get all closing duties done, then took the trash to the hopper and went to get the soda.  Filled the cooler with what was available, then clocked out around 9:40.

Sara and I went to OC for a Guinness and a small pizza.

Outfit:  Pug Crawling tee (black and green), faded jeggings, blue checked mask


Day 364:

Arrived; things were nice and slow.  Did the soda count right away and the prelim duties.  Took my break at 6:15, and started on the closing duties around 7:30.  Rained on and off.

Outfit:  Red/black plaid, black jeggings, black mask


Day 365:  I've officially worked 'one year'!

Today was a ZOO!  Was steady for a half an hour, and all the 'problem children' were in my lane....the man who wanted shingles that were outside, but I couldn't find the item #; items without codes; a man who tried to go over his credit limit.  All the while, S, A, and Abby are waiting patiently to talk to me.

Had a 5 min lull and did my pop count....then was slammed again until 6!  Needed a couple of o/r.....for discounted fence panels, 2x4s, and shelving.

Alexa sent me on break at 6:30, and when I arrived back, she said, "You can have the zoo back; I don't want it!"

Had another lull to get the trash combined and the paperwork collected.....then was busy all the way to close....and even had people still shopping at 9:15!  Lumber was a hot mess....after we dragged all the carts in, Justin took out the trash hopper and I spot-swept the floor.  Returned items to Tools, Plumbing, and Hardware, then returned an LG cart before putting up my vest.  Clocked out at 9:41.

Family took me to Applebees, and drank 2 White Russians!

Outfit:  Red v-neck, black/white poncho, black jeggings, black mask. 

I've got a dr's appt on my arm Mon, so 3 day weekend!  Whoot!


No comments: