Monday, March 29, 2021

Life In Lumber, Year 2, week 4.5

Still confused?  Don't worry; my 3rd official year begins on the 31st, which is Wed!  But until then, the numbers will stop at 371 before reverting back to 1.  There IS a method to this, lol!  My arm is also out of the sling and getting stronger.  Therefore, I'm no longer a 'one-armed lumber queen'....though I still need help lifting a few items.....

Day 369:

Arrived and did my LU after clocking in.  Was busy until Jillian relieved me at 6:45.  Had a few slow times to start prelim duties and pop count.  After break, was steady all the way to close.

Customer A walks up and tosses down a brown wall cover.  "Why don't you have any white ones?  Even W/M is out."

I cracked, "We don't want to be racist."  He cracked up; I cracked up; even Alexa and Jillian laughed!

"At least I said it to the right person; please don't report me."

"Hey, that was a good one."

Customer B ticked me off.  Came down with a Kobalt tool bag and told me his wife had the receipt.  After waiting a few mins (HC M and A were at register #2 and 3), he asked me to page her, so I did.  He soon went back to look for her, then showed back up at 8:55.  I chatted with him as I was finishing up the trash, then my final customers showed up.  As soon as I greeted them, I saw the guy take off out the door.  I walked to the door, but he was scrurrying around the corner.  I called HC M and told her what happened, then finished with my customers.

After we'd locked the doors, Loader K saw the guy come back and get on a bike.  I know what the guy looks like, plus he has a huge spiderweb tat on his neck.

Outfit:  Black/gray long-sleeved tee, dark jeggings, Monet mask


Day 370:

Was slightly late, due to the R/R construction.  Arrived; was able to do LU and pop count, as well as start prelim duties.  Was steady from 5-7, including some confusion when a customer needed help.  One of my guys left; another went to lunch; a third was MIA.  Poor C had load a woman's items all by himself, and even chase her hubby off the forklift!  An hour later, when J returned, the madness stopped....and the rain began.  People cleared out after that, so was able to sweep and sanitize everything.  Was sent to break at 7:45, and when I returned, did the rest of the closing duties.

Outfit:  Brown gauze shirt, dark jeggings, Monet mask


Year 3, Day 1:

Was in a good mood, due to getting my new phone:)  Was fairly steady the 1st hour, then things slowed down.  Was able to get prelim duties and pop count done. Played around with my new phone, trying to remember passwords and all, then swept the entire Pro desk area.  Mgr T paged me; I thought she was going to tell me to get off my phone, ha ha.....but no, she wanted to know if I'd work a full shift on Fri.  Then I asked her about finding someone to cover mine on the 13th, and she said she'd let me know by the end of the week.

Jillian sent me to break at 6:30, and when I came back, started on the closing duties.  Had one annoying customer with 2 carts, one lumber and the other cleaning supplies.  He went off to call his boss for the LAR info.....and left me to bag, ring up, and transfer EVERYTHING!  My left arm got a workout, and is still slightly sore.

Had another customer want to return some lumber, and after a few confusing moments (they'd returned the paint, but had no receipt.  Turned out our CS gal was on her way down to take care of it.  So while she did that, I went up front and got some bags for our area.  Then took the paperwork up to CS and went to get my vest.  Clocked out at 9:20.

Outfit:  Gray leopard stripe, dark jeggings, black mask


Year 3, Day 2:  April Fools!

Today was nice and slow.  Arrived and bought 5 bottles of bleach, then went back in and began shift.  Did prelim duties, soda count, and LU, then began sweeping.  At 6, my brain temporarily blanked, but returned a few mins later!  I was ringing up a customer, then forgot which boards I'd not rung up.

Was sent to break at 7:10, and when I returned, gathered trash and began closing duties.  Learned our runner was back in the store, but he never came down to my area.  Sanitized all the registers, then rang up my final customers, locked the doors, returned two items to Aisle 21, and put up my vest.

Outfit:  Gray IN sweatshirt (it was only 40 degrees!), dark jeggings, black mask


Year 3, Day 3:  Full Shift

Was slightly late, due to D taking the van in for an oil change.  Things were fine 1st half of shift; was able to see HC C and give her a hug, since she retired today.  She even came down to Lumber and took a picture with me.  Met the family for dinner at McA's, and when I returned, the craziness began.  1) I accidentally shut my system down and had to wait for it to reboot.  2) Told two customers to have a happy New-uh Easter.  Loader Justin stopped and asked if I seriously had forgotten what holiday it was!

Sanitized the registers and plexiglass, rented an insulation blower, then was able to go put up my vest.

Outfit:  Blue Cabellas hoodie, new jeggings, blue tools mask


Year 3, Day 4:  Rare Saturday Full Shift and The Band's Back Together!

Arrived and sent Jill to lunch, and things were fairly steady.  When J returned, I alternated between Charlie's register and #3, and did my LU.  Got wind our runner was back, so I guarded the door for a while.  Marci went to break, and J and I were busy.  After M left at 3, we were very busy until nearly 4.  Jill took her final break, then when she returned, I went to lunch at McA's.  Got wind of a bag-stuffer, and when he arrived, HC Chelsea happened to be there.  When I lifted the bag up, the man said he needed to return it to CS, so I called C over.  He said he wanted the warranty, so we added his info, then took his entire cart back when he said he had to get his wallet.  Who DOES that???  OMG....if you have NO INTENTION of buying it, why would you a) wait in line for 15 mins, and b) give up your info?

Managed to do the pop count, gather paperwork, and start sweeping the Pro area.  Around 6, I decided to go ahead and sanitize the registers, which turned out to be a good idea, since things were steady all the way until 8:45.  I gathered the trash, sanitized the register counters, and checked out 3 more customers before locking the doors.  Karlee cleaned me out, and clocked out around 9:30.

Outfit:  Black/white stripe shirt, new jeggings, blue tools mask


Happy Easter!!!



No comments: