Saturday, November 20, 2021

Life In Lumber Y3, W33

So.....I was SUPPOSED to work this week, but LIFE happened.  Here is the saga: 

Monday Nov 15th:

I took a warm shower and laid across the bed on my tummy (as normal!) to do my QT.  When I went to get up, I knew something was immediately wrong; I just couldn't figure it out.

-My tummy hurt

-I felt as if I had indigestion (red flag).

I sat for a moment, and the pain didn't go away.  I went out in the living room and told my hubby, "I have a question for you, and that's all this is; I'm asking for information, not alerting you to an issue.  When you had your potential heart attack in '05, where was the pain?"

He pointed to his chest.  'Why, what's going on?"

I told him my pain was under my ribs, and wasn't sure if I'd twisted something when I rolled over, or if Denny's just hadn't digested (We'd eaten there about 2 hours earlier).

Things felt alright as long as I was standing or sitting down.  I'd spent some time at the computer and thought it had settled down, but at 2pm, when I decided to lay down for a quick nap before leaving for work at 4:30, I immediately knew something still wasn't right.

The pressure on my tummy was too great when I laid on my left side.  It intensified when I (painfully) rolled over.

I sat up, and decided that 1) if the situation were reversed, and D was having this much pain, I'd be insisting he go get medical attention and 2) I decided to take my own advice.  I called Steve, told him I was having belly pains, and was going to get it checked out.  If nothing was wrong, I'd be in.  He told me to go ahead, keep him informed, and that things would be okay.

When D arrived home at 3, I told him I needed to go get my tummy checked, and he took me to the ER.  They weren't busy, thank god, and triaged me and took me to a room.

Was absolutely FLOORED when the diagnosis of Pancreatitis came in, and they started asking about my gall bladder.  MY 1st response was to let them know how LITTLE I drink.

"We think you popped a gall stone and it inflamed your pancreas."

Oh.  I've never had any issues with my gall bladder before....no nausea....oh wait....Friday and Sat, my gag reflex triggered and I threw up part of my b'fast on Friday.  Sat was only dry-heaving.  Thursday morning's breakfast tasted awful.  Could it be it started in Indy?

They came in and took me for a belly CT, then ultrasounded my belly, trying to find my gall bladder or signs of stones.  Turns out my liver is hiding up high behind my right ribs, and my gall bladder is camera-shy.  While they were waiting to transport me to my room, the dr's returned with a more experienced X-ray tech, who finally located my gall bladder, but wasn't seeing any evidence of stones.

Around 9pm. I was finally moved to room 3304 in the new shiny building by the Health Pavilian, and was told I could have nothing to eat or drink.  I requested the mouth swabs, and endured being hooked up to an IV, several painful blood pressures (My BP was through the roof, going as high as 200/88 at one point....they told me it was due to the pain), and being thirsty.  I did my solitaire and turned out my light at 1am.

My blood pressure was still high, so my night nurse, Augustine, gave me a BP med, and a blood thinner in the tummy which hurt like hell! 


Tuesday 11/16:

Woke up, wobbled once while getting up, so they left me on the bed and chair alarm.  I began to run a temp, was getting blood drawn and BP taken.  Thankfully, BP began to return to normal, at least 145/79.  I figured out if I could go to the bathroom AFTER they took my vitals, my BP was better.  "Drippy' and I got along well this time.  My day nurses were nice, and I pretty much spent the entire day sleeping, getting texts, and returning texts.  I soon got tired of the phone.

Dr told me I needed my gall bladder out, but my labs were throwing up high numbers, and if they didn't come down, he was sending me for an MRI.  

In the meantime, I had an angry hubby at home, b/c the house was being fumigated on Wed and I hadn't done much to help.  I'm sorry; I didn't plan this!

"If you'd kept your ass at home instead of going to Indpls, you'd have had 5 days to help me get ready!"

I did the math, and realized I'd overspent my credit card, so I'd have to fess up about it.

Augustine very nicely gave me my blood thinner shot in the right shoulder, and it hurt less.

I was also taken of NPO and put on the clear liquid diet of chicken broth, Jello, water, and popcicles.  I managed to down several red Jellos, and part of the chicken broth,  It needed basil, ha ha!


Wednesday 11/17:

Woke up to the news I was getting a double stick from the lab, fun, fun.  1st stick was fine, in the left elbow.  2nd stick turned out to be between my 1st and 2nd knuckles on left hand.  It hurt like the dickens.  More bad news:  I was definitely going down for MRI.  Which turned out to be fine; they put headphones on me and turned on some wonderful 80s rock!

-Down Under

-Talk Dirty To Me

-Stray Cat Strut

-Don't Stand So Close To Me

-A Cars one I'd never heard of.

Had to hold my breath at times, and then it was over.  I was thrilled to see Autumn, whom I'd also worked with at the job, would be my transport back to my room!

Drs came in later and said my gall bladder showed stones, and it should come out.  I agreed, and signed the consent forms.

Brittany, my night nurse, and I did not get along at first.  I was in my chair, watching Survivor, and I THOUGHT she asked if I wanted the lights on.  I said yes, and she turned them off!  I immediately rang back and had someone come turn them back on. 

She also was the first one to actually unhook me from my IV to go to the bathroom.

Dallas came down at noon and let me take a shower.  I did NOT like their soap, but it felt good to be somewhat clean.  She also brought me a comb, and it took me several minutes to smooth the snarls out of the back of my hair.  It also felt good to clean my teeth,

Ate more of my chicken broth, since my temp went up to 101.4, and actually ate my popcicle.  Since my surgery would be around noon, I would be back to NPO after midnight.  Took my final delicious drink of water at 11:55 and went back to the mouth swabs.

Brittany wasn't happy about giving me my Lovenox shot in the shoulder, but I never felt it!  She was that good!

Had to have another double stick, and the guy looked nervous, but he finally got one in the hand (painful, so I held Brittany's hand!), and got me on the 1st try in the elbow.  I then went to sleep.

Oh, D was mad about having to use two credit cards to pay for the fumigation, but it happened, and we're all happier.


Thursday 11/18:

Was told my surgery would be at 1, and they would come get me at noon. D came to spend the morning with me, but had to leave at 2 to go get A from school and take W to work.  My nurse had changed my IV tubing and apparently put in the wrong one, so they decided to re-insert my IV in the hand.  I told them to wait until I was under, and they agreed:)  They gave me a nice silver blanket with a blower blowing hot air that felt wonderful!  To transfer me to the table, the rubber mat underneath me inflated, ala raft, and it was delicious to not feel that hard impact.  I remember something being injected into my IV, but I don't remember taking a deep breath in a mask.  Next thing I knew, I'm waking up in recovery and being none too happy to be told they're moving me up to Floor 4.  They took me to room 4325, and Dallas brought my stuff up.  D found me later, and returned my phone to me.

My night nurse didn't put me on the bed alarm, and I was unplugged from the IV  As soon as I felt I was stable, I could take myself to the bathroom!!  Best of all, I wasn't in any pain!

Took two walks around the floor and decided to pray for my fellow patients, and all the hospital workers.  Watched Young Sheldon and was thrilled to learn I could also watch Animal Planet!


Friday 11/19:

Dr came into see me as I was paying bills (it was payday!) and told me if I was on the computer, then I could go home:)  I lapped the floor 4 times, got dressed, and we waited.  And waited.  I ate breakfast and lunch (REAL FOOD!), and just after D left to go get A, the nurse arrived with my discharge instructions:  Lo fat diet for either a week or a month, and absolutely NO alcohol for a month.  W and Reagan walked in, and they took me home.  

Later, I went with D to take W to work, then stopped at Walmart for food that I couldn't find, so bought A a snack and we drove to JC.  Went with Plan B for dinner (chicken and angel hair pasta ala Noodle Roni), then zipped over to the job to check my schedule.

Manager was on lunch, but talked to Nathan, my Front End supervisor, and poor N got unfiltered ME when I looked at my schedule and saw the mess!  I whipped out my phone.  

"WTH is this?  This is what I told Darla my availability is!"

"That isn't what was communicated.....I'll fix it.  I'll fix it."

"See that you do!  I do NOT work 6am to 3!!  I am a CLOSER, not an OPENER!  9-6 is okay, but I prefer to CLOSE!"

Then Lee, who had opened up HER schedule, complained about her Wednesdays, which she had to have off, due to a standing appointment.

"This is the first time I've made a schedule.  I'll fix it."

I chimed in.  "Oh, well, if it's the 1st time, then we'll forgive you."

He told me to come in at 3 instead of 5, and said he preferred it that way; I told him I preferred that schedule too!  "I have to do everything I normally do between 3-5 from 5-6, so that's why I like that 3-close!"

I took my printed schedule and hobbled out of the store; I was beginning to feel tired.  Fixed dinner for the family and went to bed around 10, I think.


Saturday 11/20:

Woke up at 6 and sat at the table with D, drinking coffee and talking.  It's the 2nd anniversary of my dad's passing, so was scrolling though memories on FB and posting them.  Took a glorious shower, did my QT at the dining room table, and dressed in my red/black check leggings, CBS black tee, and my new buffalo check sweatshirt.  S, R, and A went to the Pet Port and got a 2 month old kitten named Smoky.  I napped for an hour, then put on my boots, coat, hat, and fingerless gloves to go to the park for Alyonna's 3rd birthday party.  We took my van, and set up my chair on the fireplace hearth, where I sat, took pics, and ate a little bit of mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, one (dry) chicken strip, two dinner rolls (My fave kind....blanking on name.....cover is orange), and one tiny corner slice of chocolate cake with that disgusting whipped cream icing.  Left at 5, then went with D to pick up W, so I could meet Wally, and by the time we got home, I was whipped.  

I wanted pizza, but it wasn't on my diet, so convinced D to go to Subway and get me a chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce, and a cup of broccoli soup.  Bowed out of going to K's for Cards Against Humanity.

Tomorrow, I may just stay in my PJs.....I'm not to return to work until Tuesday, and I've got a follow up appt on Wed.  My Dec 3rd paycheck is going to SUCK, but D said he could help me out.


Sunday 11/21:

Stayed in my PJs all day and watched Ghostbusters (2016), original, and GB2. Slept off and on, and Sara ordered Lil Caesar's pizza for dinner.  Ate 3 small slices of sausage, and went to bed at 11.



No comments: