Monday, September 4, 2023

Life In Lumber: Y5, W28

 Day 122:  Labor Day $11,030

Arrived at 3 and took over for HC C (Kem left at 2:30), and my 1st 2 customers were short with me.  A) Said they had half inch OSB, but it was marked 19/32.  Rang them up for the half inch, then told them to go get the correct ones.  "Your lumber guy put the wrong ones down."  B) Says he wants 10 80lb concrete, and 'You'll have to get a lift." Me, assuming he's looked in the aisle and not outside, asked if he knew we had some outside. "Yes, and I TOLD YOU you're gonna need a lift!"  Okay, okay...geez, buddy....is my head still attached to my body?  *eye roll* Fortunately, Loader W walked by and told him about it.  Was fairly busy from 3:30-5, even needed several o/r for the display tools marked down 75%, then was able to get the prelim duties done, and another 'wave' came.  Kel sent me for a half hour lunch at 5:30, and when I returned, was swamped again until 7, when things finally slowed down!  I needed another pit stop, and when I returned, found my dustmop in the far closet. Got the entire area swept and the soda count done (Corporate comes tomorrow). HC C brought the soda and I put it away.  Did my LU and AP4Me and mucked out the mats, then pulled trash, sanitized the registers and counters. Had one customer at 9:30. Loader AM took the trash, brought in the concrete and blocks.  I locked the door, then returned items to Plumbing and Fashion Bath.  Put up my vest and clocked out at 10:30.

ASM K left at 4.

They also catered lunch in for us; chicken and steak, tortillas, salsa, chives, queso, shredded cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, chips, and cookies.  I had 2 plates of chicken, cheese, and sour cream, and smuggled some tortilla chips down to gnosh on while I worked.

Outfit:  Black blouse, dark capris, red 'rock' danglies


Day 123:  $5638

Arrived slightly late, due to making the quinoa bites for Mom tomorrow. Took over for Pro S, and did the prelim duties, then was fairly busy.  Hurt my back at home before, but toughed it out, and was incredibly sleepy.  I blame the Benedryl I'd taken for itchy, swollen eyes. Josh sent me to lunch at 6:30, and took about a 15-20 min power nap, which helped.  Also discovered we had the large trash bags in stock again, so got a roll to take to Lumber. After clocking back in, I started sweeping, and we really weren't that busy. Filled the soda coolers, pulled trash, did my LU, and mucked out the mats. Sanitized the registers, and filled the bags. After HC K cleaned me out, Loader AM took the trash and brought int the concrete and blocks. Returned items to Aisle 21, Plumbing, Tools, and Hardware.  Put up my vest and clocked out at 10:20.

ASM K left at 3:)

Corporate walk-thru:  We scored an 81, which is good:)

Outfit:  Gray America tee, dark capris, circular 'Florida' danglies

Tomorrow:  Off to Lafayette!


Day 124:  $9105

This is a hard post to write.  Was driving back from Lafayette when HC K called.  Bill Temple passed away either last night or this morning.  I was in shock and had her keep talking to me until I could safely pull off the interstate.  Pulled into The Beef House parking lot and cried, prayed, and posted about losing a friend on FB.  After regaining my composure, I took off again.

Arrived at work and was all right until ASM J asked me how I was doing, and I teared up.  She hugged me for a few seconds until my composure returned. Nobody's sure of what happened, if it was a complication from the kidney stone surgery, or sepsis, or if he had another heart attack.  I'm hoping to find the obituary and go to the showing and/or funeral.  In fact, when I logged in and explained why I was clocking in at 3, I posted "RIP Bill Temple....really enjoyed working with you."

Shift passed by in a blur. Went to lunch at 5, and when I returned, did the prelim duties. Swept the place at 7. Pulled trash at 8:30 and mucked out the mats. Sanitized the registers and counters at 9. Locked the doors at 9:55 (didn't have any customers past 9:15). Loader E took the trash and brought in the concrete; I shut the large door and returned a wall plate.  Put up my vest and clocked out at 10:20.

ASM K left me alone for the most part.  Heard her say she's off tomorrow!  Whoot!

Outfit:  Purdue tee, dark capris, small diamond hoops


Day 125:  $9987

Arrived to discover Loader E had quit, due to being written up by ASM K and Mgr G for 'not making more of an effort'.  BS....he's one of the hardest working associate I've had in 5 years!  Wish I could lodge a formal protest...

Was very busy, but did manage to get the prelim duties done, the soda count finished, and only made one MAJOR rookie mistake:  Customer got 8' deck boards; I forgot to scan the 20% off coupon before running his card, then as he and Dale were going out the door, he informed me I'd charged him for the 10 Ft ones!  I apologized profusely and told him to take the survey and complain about the ditzy cashier!  I then called HC C and asked when I was getting my break; I was clearly in need of one.  Amy came down about 5 mins later!  Afterward, I swept, put away the soda at 7, pulled trash between 8:30-9, and sanitized the registers.  Locked the doors at 10, and new Mgr Charlie brought in the concrete and took the trash.  Clocked out at 10:25.

ASM K was off!

Outfit:  Brown blouse, dark capris, brown dream-catchers

Tomorrow, off to Fowler, then to Teays River for MHS get-together!


Day 126:  Rare Sunday $8187

Arrived and hopped on #2 to help with the line. We were busy!  Marilyn left at 4:30; Katy took over. She went to lunch at 5, and at 6:30 (when people stopped arriving!), I did the prelim duties, then realized K should have returned. Called HC C; K came down to give me my break. When I returned, started sweeping, then was slammed again. Finally at 7:15, I was able to pull trash.  Final customer left at 8; I locked the doors. HC C cleaned me out, and I took the trash down, then returned items to Plumbing. Mgr Ian asked if anyone was willing to stay to help clean up Lumber (Loader J had left at 5); me, Theresa, and Olivia went down. I straightened carts; swept aisles 18 and 19; retrieved 2 carts from outside; and helped T clean up the back aisle.  Clocked out at 9pm.

Discovered Bill's showing/funeral is Tuesday, beginning at 11am in Carlisle.  Personally, I think the entire Pro/Lumber area should be closed for the day.

ASMK called in sick:)

Outfit:  Manning Jersey, new capris, blue danglies.

No comments: