Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Terrific Tuesday with Destiny Booze:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Hello! My name is Destiny Booze. My younger brother likes to call me "Chuckles." I'm a multi-published romantic suspense/thriller author. I like to tell people I have big plans and even bigger dreams.

My most recent release is Predetermined Endings - Book 2 in my Outer Banks Suspense Series. It can be read as a part of the series or alone.

Just a quick bit: Rogue FBI Agent William Pierce knows that he is going to hell. Then, he meets Angelica. He wonders if, just maybe, she can save his soul... Read more about my books at http://www.destinybooze.com.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

My next release will be a romantic thriller called The Curse of a Mind, scheduled for release later this year. Parts of the story are told from the killer's point of view, and certain scenes actually gave me chills writing it. When my family read it, they told me that the FBI is going to come knocking on my door to question me because the killer seems so real...lol.

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

No. I have one of the world's most active imaginations. I can really just let my mind go where it needs to go to put myself inside my characters. I will admit that I pull from my own emotions that I've experienced to invoke the feelings I need in my writing.



How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

It really depends what I'm writing and how much I know or don't know about it. With that said, I'm also not afraid to use my "creative license" to let my story go where I want it to go without worrying too much about whether every detail is realistic. I'm much more interested in entertaining that making sure every part of the book goes along with FBI procedures. With that said, I do a lot of background research before I begin writing. I also continue to do research as I write. As questions come up, I'll stop to figure out the answers before I continue. If the facts will fit the story, I'll use them. If not, I will alter the truth. : )


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

I continuously work at growing and expanding as a writer. I want each book to get better and better, so the messages will most likely change as I go. Right now, I believe I do have a recurring message for readers in each story. The message is this: No matter what you face in life, you can find the inner strength to overcome it.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

Hmmmm.... I'm both. I do a very detailed outline of my characters before I begin writing. I'll do a general story outline. I want A, B, and C to happen. I want L, M and N to take up my middle. The ending with be X, Y and Z. The rest just happens naturally as I go. The characters tend to carry my story. I use the plot to chart and guide them where I want them to go, but because I know how each character will naturally respond, it's like watching the lives of others unfold before me on the screen. That's also the reason that the story will definitely take on a life of its own almost every single time. I let my characters take over and just change the general outline as I go.

How long did it take for you to be published?

Many, many, many years. : ) I wrote my first book in high school and it remains unpublished to this day. My second completed novel happened in college and there were many years between its completion and publication. It took me a long time to realize that if I wanted to get published, I needed to learn how the business works. So, I did.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

I would tell myself not to be afraid to dream. I didn't realize back then what I do now. I would rather wish for the moon and only get half of it than wish for nothing and get all of it.

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

Laptop. Writing must-haves: a drink and some background music and I'm all set.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

Tami Hoag, Dean Koontz, Allison Brennan and Janet Evanovich to name a few of my favorites.

I'm not sure who influenced me the most. Dean Koontz was the first author that made me want to read every single book I could by the same person. His earlier works had me instantly addicted - Phantoms, The Bad Place, Dragon Tears, Icebound... Talk about letting a young girl's imagination just take off! Great stories.

No doubt Tami Hoag influenced the romance element in my writing. Before I began reading her, I didn't pay much attention to the romance genre. She changed all that when I read Lucky's Lady, Night Sins and A Thin Dark Line. Great books.

I've read some of Dean Koontz's books, but not those; I'm going to have to check them out:)

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Some interesting tidbits about me: I'm addicted to cheeseburgers, the TV show Supernatural, Die Hard movies, learning about sharks or wolves, and baseball caps. Pet peeves: Cooking in general is not among my favorite things, but in regards to food, I really hate it when food runs together on a plate. Anything runny must be put into a bowl.

LOL...I'm with you on runny food! I don't like my food touching unless it's supposed to be a casserole:) And my oldest son loves Supernatural!

For Fun:

Mountains or Beach?

Mountains

Favorite amusement park ride?

The Water Log

Father’s Day ritual?

We visit family every Sunday. It's family day. My parents will usually feed us. For Father's Day, we show up with a card, a present and a hug. Then, they still feed us. But, Dad loves it. That's how he wants it. : )

How do you balance kids being at home 24/7 and writing time?

My son is in school now, which really helps. I can actually schedule writing time. During the summer, what balance? LOL. Yeah, it's really tough. I have to lean on the hubby to help me out with some free time. Good thing I have a very supportive husband!

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

Thank you for having me! I enjoyed this so much!

My books are available at the following bookstores. If you don't see it on the shelf, be sure to ask for it at the counter, or order online.

Barnes&Noble

www.bn.com

Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com

Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Whimsical Publications

www.whimsicalpublications.com

You may also buy in Electronic Format (E-book): https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/DestinyBoozeWP




Blurb:

Angelica Chappell’s story makes huge headlines. Only a few months ago, she released a new pharmaceutical drug called Krytonix that effectively slows the spread of cancer cells. She has no idea her story will attract the attention of a serial killer. Suddenly, she is a target whether she realizes it or not. This killer is interested in more than her life. He wants her reputation, too. His first mission is to sabotage Krytonix.


William Pierce worked undercover for the FBI for five years to bring down a ruthless mobster that he ultimately is forced to kill. Two months passes by since that assignment. Still, William saw things he couldn’t talk about. He did things he couldn’t talk about. He believes his soul is damned. Returning to “normal” everyday life isn’t an option. He isn’t the same man he used to be. He refuses to return to FBI headquarters. He becomes a rogue agent with an agenda.


These two characters literally collide when Pierce's agenda leads him to Chappell. It will take both of them to keep Angelica alive and to figure out who is trying to kill her. William soon finds himself developing feelings for Angelica. Too bad for her killer, William worked as a trained killer for the mob. Will he find her killer and hand him over to the legal system to see that justice is served or will he search and destroy?


Excerpt:

She wished he would leave her alone. She even considered putting up the optional privacy window between the front and back of the car. Of course she wasn’t okay. Didn’t he understand just how serious this situation was?

“Want me to turn the radio to that funky station you like?”

The “funky” music he referred to was a hip-hop channel that played a combination of some rock, some rhythm and blues, and a bit of rap. It was actually the most listened to station of the area. It was also Patrick’s favorite. The old man had odd tastes. One of her grandfather’s rules was that the station had to be turned off, or tuned into a classical station unless otherwise requested by the passenger. That rule applied to Chappell family or guests. Patrick was asking if she wanted that music so he could listen to what he really wanted to. She wondered if he knew she was onto his little deception.

“Sure,” she said.

“Here you go.”

A new Justin Timberlake song filled the car. It didn’t help Angelica to relax. Her chest burned with stress and fear. The air she breathed actually hurt. Her life as she knew it could be over.

After another couple of minutes, Patrick tried again to start a conversation. “This will blow over, honey. Trust me. Everything does. People aren’t going to blame you. Everybody loves you.”

He was so wrong on so many levels. The public would want someone to blame and she would get that honor. She would be crucified. She expected that reaction and it was justifiable. She knew the burden was hers. Truth be told, she didn’t care what people thought and never had. Why should she? She never saw anyone outside of the lab anyway. She didn’t care if people hated her because of Krytonix. She did care that people were going to die because of her drug. It was her failure. It was her responsibility to figure out what was wrong. People’s lives were on the line. She accepted that accountability.

“Oh shit. Hang on.”

The hair on Angelica’s neck stood up when she heard the panic in Patrick’s statement. Her stomach nosedived to her feet and returned in utter turmoil. Her eyes darted to the road to find the source of the problem. They were close to home, a quiet part of town where tourists didn’t venture and traffic was far less dense. The road was curvy, leading to a steep grade to the top of a deserted hillside that held
the Chappell Mansion.

“Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit,” Patrick said again.

They were traveling much too fast for the winding road, even heading uphill. Patrick was wildly stomping on the brake, but nothing was happening. The car continued to accelerate as if he held the gas to the floor. He fought for control of the steering wheel, but it looked as if it simply rotated round and round with the ease of an arcade game. Patrick’s face was flushed bright crimson and sweating, his eyes wide and glazed.

“Do something!” Angelica cried in desperation, torn between shock and fear.

It was obvious Patrick was doing his best. The sharp curve before them would be upon them in seconds, and unless some kind of miracle intervened, they were going straight ahead—over a sand dune and into the ocean.

Angelica grabbed onto the seat and held as tightly as she could. The car continued to accelerate. Everything seemed loud. Patrick was groaning. The radio was blasting. The roar of the tires was like drums beating a tune of anticipation.

In the last second, when all possible hope of rescue was gone, Patrick screamed. Angelica dipped her head in her lap and closed her eyes. The Lord’s Prayer was on her lips when she felt the car lurch into the air and plummet into empty space.


5 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Really interesting interview. I too get chills if I'm writing a romance/suspense and I have to write from the POV of the bad guy, especially if he's really bad. I love your excerpt! Thanks!

Destiny Booze, Novelist said...

Thanks so much for having me on the blog!

To Julia: I appreciate you taking the time to read my interview and read my excerpt. So appreciated!

FYI: My publisher just informed me that my books are now available on Kindle. I'm super excited about that!

Destiny

April Ash said...

Creative license is important...and most readers will ignore stuff that may not be reality-based but close enough to hold their interest. Look at all the TV crime shows/movies...you know lots of what we see is "reality stretched beyond fact" because the day-to-day stuff would be boring.
Marianne/April

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me today Destiny:) Looking forward to both of these:)

Destiny Booze, Novelist said...

April Ash - I absolutely agree. :)

Molly - I appreciate you having me here so much. Such an honor.

Destiny