Monday, July 13, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #50

Day 223:  Start of Another Week....
I had hoped for a nice, quiet, no-hassle, no complications day, and got part of my wish.  We were steady, and the small hassles were dealt with the tiniest of frustrating moments, so over all, not too bad.

Went to lunch at Wendy's around 4:15, and had speedy service, so had plenty of time to read.  Did my AP4Me during my 1st break (the 1st seven) and finished the final three during my 2nd break.

Had a couple of CFH, but managed to deal with them with a minimum of frustration.

Managed to get everything wiped down and sanitized by 9, then locked the doors, and took the trash down after MK closed out my drawer.

Outfit:  Gray Rebel tee, patterned capri leggings.

Day 224: Is There A Full Moon Tonight?
The first two hours were fine, but after Kem left, the crazies came out, and it became a 'what-can-we possibly-throw-at-her-to-see-if-she-breaks' kind of shift.

A)  Had a CFH who at first I thought was going to get in a screaming match with her daughter....then I thought the yelling match was going to be between daughter and grandson....then she realized she'd forgotten a knob or something for her shower.  I told her to go ahead; I'd ring everything up.  That took all of maybe ten seconds, and we waited....and waited.....meanwhile, the whiny child tries to irritate his mom, so I decide to try to distract the kids, which sort of worked.  G'ma finally shows up, and hands me something else.  Then they discuss the fact they can't find the knob they're looking for, and show me a picture.  Fortunately, Pro K walks up, so I ask her about it.  She tells me to call Ken in Plumbing, so I get K up there.....and nothing is resolved.  Finally, the daughter huffs and decides to go ahead and pay. G'ma askes about any kind of discount, and looks upset when I say no, unless they have the store card.  Daughter asks me to get her an app, so I find one.  DURING ALL THIS, Ian comes down to help out and take care of the other customers.  I just held onto my patience while wishing the entire time they would just SHUT UP and LEAVE!

B)  Customer comes in and asks if they can pay for their stuff, but only take part of it with them, and pick the rest up tomorrow.  I say sure.  They go off, and return a while later with only a few items, and a whole list of lumber....but no item #s.  I hop over to #1 (it was out of pennies), where I could search 'drywall' better, and found the first one, but then notice #2 line is starting to grow.  Jacob arrives; I asked him to take the list and go get me some item #s.  I return to #2 and get the line down, then hop back over to #1 to finish ringing up their order.  After I get back on #2, Mel calls to see if I need help....I look up and realize I've got 4 customers in line, so she came down to help.

C) Customers began 'normal', but then wanted fence posts.  I searched the site; went to my app....nada.  Finally, customer goes outside and gets the item #, and voila.  Still can't find item # on the app...(I checked, just for fun!).

I treated myself to Arby's for lunch after the first CFH.  I DID get my wish; we didn't have any customers (save for 2) between 8:30 and close, so was able to sanitize everything and get the closing duties finished.

Also met with Mgr T and she approved Gracie taking my shift on Friday.  Now I just need to switch with someone during my 10-day stretch....ugh.

Outfit:  Yellow Florida tee, black capri leggings.

Day 225:  Better Day....
Day began fine, nice and slow.  At 2:30, I realized I'd not been sent on break, so as soon as I thought we were good, I clicked off to take mine before K left.  But then, two customers got in line, so I logged back on to help her out.  The customer who came over had 4 carts, so after I got them rung up, I told K I was heading to the bathroom.  Returned, and was about to log back on when Gracie showed up and told me to go to break.  So I did....and fifteen mins later had periods of steady customers and periods of sanitizing.  Got my trash consolidated, the plexiglass cleaned, and floor swept before 5pm.  Was getting hangry, so at 5:30, I called down to see if they'd forgotten about my break, and Mgr T apologized.  When I had called her to take care of a trailer, she was doing three jobs at once, and she'd forgotten to send me to lunch.

Took myself to Hardees, and was so hungry, I ordered two sandwiches.  Returned at 7 and rang up maybe 10 customers, plus finished all closing duties.  Had no customers after 8:45.

Outfit:  Blue 'baseball' tee, dark capris

Day 226:  My 'Friday'!
Had a really nice day at work!  Was steady all the way to my 1st break and again til my lunch (McD's), and was alternately slow/steady through 8:45 again and was able to get all the closing duties finished in time.

My CFH from Tues showed up again, only this time wasn't on a wheeled cart, and wanted help loading their drywall.  Called for a Code 50, but Gav was busy and didn't come up for several minutes.  When he did, they had already loaded it themselves.  So G helped my next customer load 2 80 lbs bags of concrete:)  Mgr T was even in a good mood today!

Outfit:  Blue store tee, patterned capri leggings

Tomorrow, I'm off to Lafayette to close on my childhood home.  It's going to be bittersweet.

No comments: