Monday, January 11, 2021

Life In Lumber, Week #75

 Day 329:

Arrived; was steady until 6:30.  Jillian had already done the pop count, so all I had to do were my usual early chores.  Swept the floor, then Matt relieved me at 7.  When I returned, he and I laid down the new 'Thank You' and 'Wait Here' signs.  Had zero customers from 8 until 8:45, so got everything sanitized and trash pulled.  Also did my LU and AP4Me (one video).

Took back two plumbing items and some paint rollers. Tried to find the tablet holder, but no one knew where the display was.  Kylie said she'd take care of it.  Met my new lumber associate, Justin, who's a history major at VU.

Found out Marci's going to have to have her right breast removed, and the cancer is NOT in her lymph nodes, thank god!

Outfit: Gray sweater, faded jeggings, Monet Mask


Day 330:

Arrived; was fairly slow all day.  But every time I logged in to do my LU, I'd get a customer.  Finally, the 4th time was the charm:)  Did my usual early prep, and while I was on my 15 min break, Matt swept the area behind the counter.  When I returned, I swept the rest.  Got three phone calls on 252, and was thrilled when no one called me again!  Sanitized everything at 8, and needed two o/r:  One for discounted light and another for the wrong price on the 30 lumber boards.  Locked the doors after final customer.  Tried to sell a cull pack while ASM Scott was around, but the guy decided $330 marked down to $165 was still too much.

Returned several electrical items and one tape measure, then put up my vest.  Clocked out at 9:20.  As I was leaving, I told Chris 'see you tomorrow.'  He asked if I was closing, and I told him I always close.  "You're stuck with me!"  

He laughed!

Outfit:  Blue thermal shirt, faded jeggings, blue mask.


Day 331:

Brought in more chocolate chip cookies, which everyone appreciated.  Shift was slow and steady, and only had one customer between 8 and 9.  Only needed one o/r; a couple brought down two rolls of carpet, each with the same item #, only one was marked $5 per foot.  Asked HC A if I should mark all of it down, and she said yes, so I marked down the 14' roll also.  While they paid, A got in touch with Flooring, and after the customer left, we discovered only the 8' roll was supposed to be discounted.  We literally let $71 walk out the door.  Oh well.....

Took my break, and when I returned, did the rest of the closing duties.  A came down with snacks and the soda (Alexa had done it earlier, when I was busy), then sanitized everything.  Stood around and chatted with Justin about Disney World and theme parks in general.  All in all, good shift.

Outfit:  Red/yellow plaid shirt, black tank, faded jeggings, blue mask.


Day 332:

Arrived; discovered Aggie had brought in cupcakes, cookies, and two other cakes, 'to be kind'.  I took the final piece of chocolate mousse down to lumber.  As I was looking for a fork, Mgr T askes, "Weren't you supposed to be at your register a few mins ago?"

"Yes; I'm running slightly late."  I marched off to Lumber.

Helped Jillian with a complicated order, then she left, taking the soda count with her.  I was steady for an hour, then did my early duties and thoroughly swept my area.  Cust A had a little girl who was VERY interested in helping me, so I allowed her to use the gun on an item, which thrilled her.

Had an eye-roll moment when Sacred came down to 'help'....I had three customers in line, but one was writing a check.  She rang up one at the same time I rang up the 3rd.....I had everything under control; I don't know what the problem was!  If I had 5-6 in line, that would be one thing.....

Cust. B had taken pics of their items, so I didn't have to look them up.

Cust C had one item which refused to ring up or even be keyed in, and my phone app was throwing a fit, so had to look it up on the website.

Cust. D left their bag at the counter and returned for it an hour later.

Took my break, and finished off the CM cake, then took my lunchable back to lumber!  Did the closing duties and sanitized everything, then locked the doors and returned three plumbing items.

Discovered I need to use my 30 hours of vacation time by the 29th or I'll lose 'em.  Not sure what I'm gonna do, since I thought they'd roll over.  Damn it....

Outfit:  Blue/white sweater, faded jeggings, HP mask


Day 333:.

Shift was steady until 6.  Did the early chores, and was surprised when Alexa relieved me at 6:10 for break!  Afterwards, put the soda away and began the closing duties.  Was slightly miffed when she told me she'd only had one customer while I was gone....why couldn't she have put away the soda?  Strange...

Anyway, discovered my invoice from 2 weeks ago was still active; Brenden showed me how to delete it.

Had two customers between 8-9; locked up and returned items to tools, paint, hardware, and Household.

Had to go out and retrieve carts; I was huffing and puffing by the time I pulled two Lumber carts to aisle 19!  Then helped Krissy with a return to Electrical.....she had her hands full and a foil ductwork under her chin!

Finally clocked out around 9:30.

Outfit:  Mama Bear sweatshirt, new jeggings, HP mask.


Day 334:

Was called in to work; two people called in.  Walked in and discovered I was on everyone's 'good' list, for coming in, ha ha!  Arrived at 2:45 and was told to go up front, so hopped on #13 and stayed there until 7.  Had to re-learn the new system, and all was fine until after lunch.  Had a guy who wanted to only pay for his washer, so removed it from his invoice, but then he wanted to split the payment.  We tried 3 different ways, and HC Devon had to switch to the old system for it to work.  Then she asked me to do the front soda count, and pull it.   Then, had to  hop back on #13 due to rush.  Finally, she asked if I'd go down and give Jillian her break.  I did, then asked if I could STAY there, ha ha!  All day I'd been hearing 'You're at the wrong end of the building!' or, 'What are you doing here today?'

Got a compliment:  Justin said he prefers to work with me rather than Jillian!

Scott's going to simply pay out my vacation pay, so yay! 

Pulled trash, swept, and sanitized the plexiglass and #1 and #2 register counters.  Saw Joe Frey, whom I'd mentioned to D I hadn't seen in a while.  Returned items to Tools, Electrical, Flooring, and Seasonal, then clocked out around 9:30.

Outfit:  Gray 'Home Grown' sweatshirt; new jeggings; Tools mask

No comments: