Monday, January 18, 2021

Life In Lumber, Week #76

 Day 335:  MLK Jr Day

Arrived; was busy for a solid 90 mins.  Had a CFH who wanted a delivery, and had to send Cam to look up insulation and how many sheets of drywall was on a pallet.  Then he wanted to pay for his invoiced tile, and paid $3700 in cash.  First we set the delivery date, then he wanted to change it.  Then, instead of ringing up the $3700, it rang up $37, which meant I had to whip out my calculator to find the difference.  Next, it refused, so I keyed in what he would pay on his card, THEN rang up the remaining cash.  Devon managed to change the delivery date (while I was doing all this, she was ringing up the other customers!), and they blissfully left me alone.  It was definitely a 'why-didn't-you-go-to-somene-else's-line' moment!!!

Customer B had a special order return, but it rang up $0, so when I switched it to the $8 price, I had to have and o/r.

Customer C had several items of lumber, and it took 3 tries to get the correct number of each size, due to the fact he'd forgotten how many he'd gotten.  I had it right the 1st time, then he insisted I was wrong, so finally after the 3rd time, he was happy.

Gathered paperwork around 7:30 and chewed Justin out when he threw his empty pop bottle into the clean trash can.  Swept the floor, then helped Haley put away the soda.  Sanitized everything between 8:15-8:45, then checked out one more customer, and locked the doors at 9.  I was sooooooo ready to get out of there!

Outfit:  Blue multi-colored sweater, red tank, new jeggings, SW mask.


Day 336:

Was called in at 4; was fairly steady all the way til 6.  Was able to get the pop count accomplished, but didn't really begin doing any preliminary closing duties until 6.  Matt had already gathered the paperwork, and I had two more tax exempts come in.  Needed two o/r, one for discounted wire and the other for a discounted door.

Went to lunch at 6:30, and when I returned, began the rest of the closing duties around 8, since I swept the floor for a while.

Outfit:  Black/gray long-sleeved tee, black vest, new jeggings, SW and tools mask (SW was hurting my ears).


Day 337:  Inaugeration Day....bleh.

Arrived; was steady until 6, then started prelim duties, including pop count.  Jillian relieved me at 6:40, and when I returned, only had a handful of customers, so began closing duties at 7:30.  Had to switch to #2 when #1 ran out of $1s.

Final customer arrived at closing, and after my drawer was cleaned out, returned items to tools, paint, and hardware.  Teased Scott about when I was getting my 1 year patch....

"I've been here 2 years and still don't have one....or am I still on probation?"

That got me a laugh!

Clocked out at 9:30.

Outfit:  Maroon shirt, new jeggings, Starry Night mask.


Day 338: 

I knew this was going to be a good shift when I pulled into the lot and saw there were more employee cars than customers!  Had my pre-closing duties done by 5:30, and really didn't have any irratations, other than when it came time for my break, a customer grabbed me and used up ten minutes.  So went to the restroom, grabbed my lunchable, and went back to Lumber.  Ate my food in between the two customers I had between 7:05-7:30, then began sanitizing.

Matt was having issues finding the 935 1x3x8s, so he watched the register while I went on the hunt.  Turned out they weren't marked.  Oh well; got my out from behind the register for a while!

Returned 4 black iron pipes to #16, then some sandpaper to Paint, put up my vest, and clocked out.

Outfit:  Black/gray leopard stripe tee, black vest, new jeggings, SN mask.


Day 339:

Fairly quiet day; only needed one o/r, but everyone was up at customer service, helping with the sudden influx of customers.  Hopped on #2 to ring up the others while we waited.

Only had one pissy moment; shortly before taking my break, HC D asked me not to eat at the register.  WTH?  If I can't take my break, then yes, I darn well WILL eat my lunch!  Matt told me later she wasn't talking about snacks; just my lunchable.  *eye roll*

Also made a mess at the end:  Had 10 mins til close, so decided to wipe off the top of the Monster cooler.  But when I moved two over, they fell off....and had a fountain of Monster spraying everywhere!  Darrin hopped over the stack of water and gatoraid to pick up the boxes and the ones which had fallen out, then mopped up the mess with the paper towels I handed him.  It's been a while since I've made a mess!  Told James, "We created a Monster Pond!"

Bought K his bathroom vent with the blue-tooth, and clocked out at 9:15.  Discovered we're NOT allowed to borrow each other's discount cards; it's a 'fireable offense on both sides.'  Oops........

Outfit:  Gray IN sweatshirt, red plaid leggings, elephant mask.

No comments: