Monday, January 25, 2021

Life In Lumber: Week #77

 Day 340:

Woke up to text from Mgr T, asking me to come in at 4.  I said sure. 

Went in; discovered our entire CS team in quarantine, due to S testing positive for CV.  We're down to 10 total cashiers.  Things were fairly slow; was able to get my LU done and two more sections of my lesson plan accomplished.  No AP4Me, but I did a few of the FE4Me.  Matt sent me to lunch at 6, and when I returned, had to hop on #2 due to no $1. Matt had already pulled the trash and done some sweeping; I did my usual sweeping, then slowly began mucking out under the mats.  Only #1 and C's were really dirty.

Began sanitizing at 8, and had final customer at 9:05.  Only needed one o/r the entire shift, and it was early on.  Kylie came down and approved the 3 marked down ceiling fans.

Despite being short-handed, HC M cleaned me out at 9:10; I ran the trash down and returned a few items to plumbing, paint, and hardware. Clocked out at 9:30 after helping M do some minor closing stuff up front. Told her I was willing to come in early the next 2 weeks if they needed me.

Outfit:  Black/white long-sleeved tee, black vest, faded jeggings, elephant mask.


Day 341:

Discovered I'll be going in at 4 the rest of the week, so yay!

Arrived; needed 2 o/r immediately, so was happy Mgr B was there!  Then the lumber wouldn't ring up, so he found the item # for me, and discounted it.

Things settled down after that; did pop count, discovered my broom handle was missing, so swept up and used the broom as a whisk broom....until I found the handle outside in a trash can!  Screwed it back in and all was well again:)

Was sent to lunch at 6:50; when I returned, rang up Customer A....then discovered I wasn't logged in yet.  Customer B was fine, but Customer C had discounted paint, that turned out NOT to be discounted, so he didn't want it.  He also had some electrical wire that he wanted discounted, but wasn't happy with the 10%, so he bought the regular one.

Sanitized; put the soda away; gathered trash, and clocked out at 9:30 after running some bags back to Lumber after returning a tarp.

Outfit:  Brown gauze shirt, black vest, faded jeggings, elephant mask.


Day 342: If It Ain't Broke.....

Arrived, and discovered a new log-in system.  Took me 45 (FORTY-FIVE!) minutes to get logged in!  Also did the LU and more of the training before the directions were finally handed to me.  Neither Marci nor HC C could get me logged in!

Shift was rather slow, due to the snowfall.  Did my prelim duties after Marci left, and was sent to lunch at 6.  Came back and decided to completely sanitize #2 and 3.....the HC M called and had me hop to #2.  "But I just cleeeeeaned it..."  Had nearly everything done by 7:30, but paced myself, lol!  Filled the soda, and sanitized everything (including #2 again, ha ha!).  Had 3 customers the final hour.

Outfit:  Red/white turtleneck, faded jeggings, blue plaid mask.


Day 343: 

Received text, asking if I can work Sat, so will be working 10-7. 

Arrived at work and found out we're getting hazard pay next month!  Whoot!

Did pop count while Marci handled customers, then helped her out until 5.  Was fairly steady until I went to lunch at 6:15.  Managed to do prelim duties 1st.  When I returned, swept and did closing duties in between customers.  Had everything done by 8:30.  Final customer left at 8:50.  Locked the doors; James took trash down; I returned 2 tape measures and 3 rugs.  Bought new ice scraper before shift.

Outfit:  Blue hooded Cabella's sweatshirt, faded jeggings, Monet mask.


Day 344:

Arrived and discovered there were only two closing cashiers tonight, so Marci was needed at the front for an hour.  I did the soda count, then was steady until 6:30!  Did the prelim duties, and wasn't feeling that great; spent as much time as possible in front of the heater.  Needed 2 o/r, one for a door and the other for discounted OSB.  Close to 7, I asked Mgr B if he would mind the store while I made a pit stop.  When I returned, HC D sent me to lunch.  Came back and was again steady until 8:30.  Finally had a woman buy the cull pack!  And dealt with some grumpy customers tonight, about why we were so busy, and so-and-so wouldn't refund their money for a tool, and why didn't the man with three carts let the guy only buying a 5 gal bucket of paint go ahead of him?

Also had an honest customer return; they had 30 pieces of barnwood. I only charged 'em for one.  I thanked her:)  Told her I thought it was one door!

Checked out final customer at closing, and locked the doors.  Was only able to sanitize the register areas.  I'll be more thorough tomorrow.  Returned a tape measure to tools, some electrical outlets, and some hardware items.  Clocked out at 9:30.

Outfit:  Red hooded sweater, dark jeggings, Monet mask.


Day 345:  Rare Saturday

1st half of shift went well, though I was half-asleep.  Marci went to lunch when I arrived, and things were steady all the way til 2pm.  Matt arrived at 12:30, so M went up front for the rest of her shift.  Went to McAllisters at 2, and when I returned, did the soda count while Matt rang up customers.  He went to lunch at 4, and had an issue I couldn't solve....guy's phone # wouldn't take.  Called HC A down, so while she was working on it, I hopped on Charlie's register to ring up the card-paying customers.  Had just loaded an LAR on #2, then rang up the guy on C's when Mgr T, who had come down to assist A, asked me to get on #2 "To take care of your customers."  Ummmm....thought I was, but stopped arguing and just hopped on #2 for 5 mins, then back to #1 when the issue was resolved!

Started sweeping, and when Matt returned, he was asked to do an internet order, so I began the prelim duties.  At 6, I took a quick pit stop, then from 6:30-7 I sanitized #2 and 3, and sanitized all but #1's plexiglass.  Matt pulled the trash, and after I returned two items to LG, went back and pushed the trash to the hopper and clocked out at 7:10.  Told HC M I was planning for 4pm next week, unless told otherwise.

Outfit:  Mama Bear sweatshirt, dark jeggings, Monet mask


No comments: