Friday, October 18, 2019

Flashback Friday: Early Winter!

Oct 1989:
J convinced me to look at an apartment in Arcadia, and after consulting with Dad, he gave me the money for the first month's rent, and I prepared to move in.  It was in an old house, and I had my choice of two apartments:  Ground floor with a bathtub, or upstairs with a shower.  I opted for the shower.

The weather began to work against me, however.  The day we planned to take the kids to the Pumpkin Patch, it was so cold, I could hardly enjoy it!  Thankfully, I did have my winter coat by this time, but was in desperate need of some thermal underwear.  One of my kids, T, came out of the house one morning in a thin t-shirt, and I made her go back inside and put on something warmer.  Her mother later thanked me!

It snowed the following week, and I slid through an intersection, thankfully with no kids in the car.  I didn't hit anyone or anything, nor did anyone hit ME!  Lesson learned; slow down.

I also learned a valuable lesson in traffic patterns:  If I left my apartment at 6:29, I'd arrive at work by seven.  But if I left a minute or two later, I'd arrive anywhere around 7:30, provided I didn't get stuck in traffic.  I think Louis, my boss, was soon growing irritated by my lateness, and wished I'd still lived in town!

For Halloween, we threw a party for the kids on the playground, so I went as a farmer and carried 'Blue Boy', the solid blue Checkered Giant that J had given me.  We named one of his litter mates 'Frisky', and J planned to show her the following spring.

Next Month:  Thanksgiving, Farm-Style!

****************
Present Day:  
We're launching Bad Decisions tomorrow, with an Open Mic Night!  Hoping for a good turnout, considering the boys can't make it.  B has to work and JT is officiating a wedding.  I have to sing at 5pm, so I'm hoping to drop off my supplies at 4, then arrive as close to 6 as possible.  I sold two copies last week, plus will have copies of Dreamscapes on hand.

I'm also setting up at the Farmer's Market (weather permitting), so hoping for a good turn out and good sales.

Have a great weekend!

Happy early anniversary Mom and Dad!  56 years tomorrow!

No comments: