Friday, October 4, 2019

Flashback Friday: I Get Cheeky

Oct 1979:
I was beginning to open up to people.  I loved my History teacher, Mr Israel, and was thrilled when I discovered I could answer the questions w/o fear of ridicule.  I still remember how to pronounce Ft. Duquesne (Du-cain), due to the weekly spelling tests, and one memorable day, 'Cincinnati' was on the test, and when he checked our answers and go to that word, he had me stand up and face the class.  Turns out I'd worn my 'I Love Cincinnati' tee....and had forgotten it!  He gently teased me about cheating if I'd spelled it correctly, and we all had a good laugh!

The rivalry in Health Class was heating up.  Mike F and I continued to 'compete' to prove who was smarter, girls or boys.  Of course, friend Rhonda A, who sat behind me, was my 'voice of reason', but Mike and I had history which went back to the 5th grade.  He had called me names, and I'd gotten back at him for watching him get spanked by the principal, and told everyone.  I was feeling bold about the fact Health was not only my favorite subject, but also the fact I had a solid A in the class, and was answering the questions in a confident manner, instead of being shy and quiet.

When we reached the Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation unit, Mr. P chose myself and Mike to demonstrate.  He jumped up on the table and puckered up; I pinched his nose hard and simply said 'Puff', which also drew laughs.

But disaster hit on Halloween.  My sister, friend K, and I decided to go as cheerleaders.  They dressed 50s style; I decided to go as a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.  My hair was shoulder-length and wavy; I had electric blue shorts, black boots, and wore a tube top with a green front-tie shirt over it.  Not exactly the outfit, but surely people would 'get it', right?  Mom took our pictures and commented on how good we all looked.

One of the new neighbors had girls who were both older and younger than me.  The one in the 9th grade dressed like a Playboy Bunny, and I remember raising my eyebrows at that choice of costume, but didn't say anything.  At the end of the night, I was slightly alarmed, because I thought I heard the voice of Eddie F, who was one of Mike's BFFs.  I dismissed it, thinking that now the night was over, we'd enter November, the best month of the school year, since we only went one full week due to Teacher's Inservice days, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and Thanksgiving.

I was wrong; things were about to get much worse.

Next Month:  Being Publicly Humiliated

***********
Present Day:
I have the weekend off!  Saluki Con was GREAT last week, and I sold 7 books, got my picture taken on the Iron Throne, and hung out with author peeps.

This weekend, we're doing Bug Control and hopefully cleaning out more of the Green House.  The temps are finally dropping into the 70s (we had 90s M-W, then low 80s yesterday!), so might swap my wardrobe around, since I'm probably going to want to wear jeans today and next week.

Have a wonderful weekend and I'l see you back here next week!

No comments: