Thursday, October 24, 2019

Life In Lumber, Week #30

Day 146:
After three days off, it was refreshing to be back at work!  Whoa.....how many people actually say that???  Had several regulars ask where I've been; had one customer gruffly tell me he was in a bad mood.

"Shall I get out my kid gloves?"

He chuckled.  "You're all right."

Another customer told me not to go over $5.  I rang him up.  "That will be $5 plus $101..."

"You paying the $101?"

"No; I don't get paid until tomorrow."

(sigh)  "Oh, all right...."  (winks at me)

Only had to call for two overrides; one for carpet and another for paint.  Rachel relieved me at 6:15, and when I returned 30 mins later, she was dealing with a customer getting an insulation blower....but the cord was missing.  I hopped on #2 to take care of the others in line, and her issue was finally solved.

Began my closing duties and noticed the trash was piled up, both at the Pro desk AND outside.  Will had to take the entire can to the dumpster; there was just too much.

I also couldn't find the correct bags to line the outside one, so we made do with the square ones.

One of my final customers bought a Dewalt something that needed propane, so he told me he wanted two propane tanks.  I was confused, but sold 'em to him.

Another customer said he had 4 2x2x8s; took me a while to realize they were all cut in half.  One was damaged, so I knocked off $2, which made him happy.  His daughter was a 'chatty Cathy', who held me up for 5 minutes.

My only other issue was a guy wanted to buy a toolbag and a bunch of tools, but only had $93 on his card.  Had to call HC Cindy down to fix it.

My only other problem was my hair.  I'd bought a new clip, but my hair kept falling down!  Finally figured how to make it stick, but still had to readjust it every half hour or so.  I don't recall having to do this the past two days I've worn it!

We got out of there on time:)  Here's hoping tomorrow goes just as smoothly!

Heard several complaints from the staff in 'inventory hell'.

Outfit:  Brown 3/4 sleeve shirt, older flex jeggings, brown 'dream catcher' earrings.

Day 147:
We were BUSY today!  Turned out Kyle knew how to run a register, so I logged him in on #2 and he helped me out for an hour.  Then....I discovered my 'tab' button on the scanner wasn't working, which alarmed me; I don't know how many items weren't rung up.  Scott did NOT look happy when I told him.  He took the scanner, so I tried using the one on #2, but that 'tab' button wasn't working either, so I switched to the #3 scanner, which DID work.

Scott came down again to give me an override, and I joked, "You want to just hang out down here with me?"

"Ah, no."

Upset one customer accidentally.  His bill came to $97; he told me he wanted to pay half, but handed me a $100 bill.  Without thinking, I used the entire amount....then realized what he'd wanted.  Apologized profusely, but told him the only thing he could do was go to the CS desk.

Over all, everyone was in a good mood; I was able to go to lunch at 7, and HC Aggie brought down a cart full of soda for me to fill.  Was steady all the way up until the end, and managed to finish stocking the cooler right before we closed.

I'd only made one pass with the broom; I did get the trash collected, but didn't wipe anything down.  Still, was happy to be working again.

Scott asked me if I was on vacation next week, and I said no; the computer hadn't given me any hours.  Both he and Aggie said they'd call me in if they needed me.

Outfit:  Colts jersey, black undershirt, flex jeggings, and treble clef earrings.  Hair pulled back with a clip.

Here's hoping I get some hours next week!  I'm off to the Collector's Carnival tomorrow, and I'm reaally  hoping the rain holds off, comes early, or misses us all together!

No comments: