Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Unvarnished Truth Pt 3

 Monday May 27, 2024

Natalie decided to push our trip to The Edge to Tuesday, since the forecast called for rain.  We had an early morning practice, then were turned loose.  Since Broadway is normally closed on Mondays, since it was Memorial Day, leftover tickets were half price, and active military or veterans could go to the front of the line around 1.  John M decided to go for our group, and the general concensus was for him to get whatever was available:  Blue Man Group, Chicago, Illinoise, or Six.  I was privately hoping he'd get Chicago or Six, but as it turned out, only Illinoise was available.

Cheryl, Kathy, Karen W, Nan, and I decided to venture out into the rain for lunch.  First we tried Shake Shack, but there was no room to sit.  So we went down the next block and ended up at Roxy Deli ($25 for a BACON CHEESEBURGER!).  Enjoyed taking a few pics of the caricatures, and it turned out we were probably sitting at the same table my mom had sat at 20+ years earlier:)  After lunch, the rain let up, so Nan and I went next door to the Big Apple Gifts.  When the manager overheard me telling myself who I was buying what for, he gave me another magnet as a gift for ME!  Then we went over to Carnegie and found our poster, plus the gift shop, and I splurged on a T-shirt for myself that said, "Ask Me About My Debut at Carnegie Hall" Also got some sticky notes, a keychain, and a treble clef pencil, as well as a notebook.

Dinner that night was at the Grisly Pear, and I was NOT impressed.  The only thing I could eat was the chips and the cheese quesadillas.  The mac-n-cheese was too spicy; my tastebuds found something spicy in the salad; I took one bite of the beef quesadilla and my mouth lit up.  Thankfully, the server brought me some sour cream, which helped the burn in my mouth.

Then it was off to see Illinois. It tells the story of several people around a campfire, telling stories of their pasts. It was hypped as 'the best new show', but frankly, after 3 songs, I was bored.  The best part was a tap dancer and watching the percussion section.  I took a nap, and woke up to applaud.  I thought that at Intermission, I might stay in the lobby.  But thankfully, my silent torture ended at 8:30.  I'd bought a magnet ($10) at the merch table....and now wanted to give it back.  But I still have it.

Went back to the hotel and fell into bed again.  Nan and I decided to opt out of going to The Edge, and walk up 5th Ave the next day.

No comments: